EP45-DS3L continual reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3L continual reboot

After giving up on a EP45-UD3R because it was simply unable to see any CPU I put in it, I purchased an EP45-DS3L/R. This motherboard is now power cycling every 3-4 seconds. Everything is at stock settings, completely new.... *everything*, and I've tested all of the other pieces now several times. I can't find any useful information about this problem on Google.

Newegg, on the other hand, includes a few reviews describing behavior similar to this with little comfort beyond people venting about RMAing it.

I have *already* taken all this, put it on wood, tried with only one stick of RAM, tried with two sticks of RAM, and tried resetting the CMOS.

Re: EP45-DS3L continual reboot

Try lowering the MCH core voltage from standard 1.10v to 1.05v. This has worked for me and others using 2x2gb RAM with this board.

Before finding that solution, I had RMA'd the same board and RAM multiple times, all with the instability remaining. Lowering the MCH core voltage did the trick.

Comment

Er, how would I go about doing that if I can't even get it to BIOS?

Comment

There would be a short circuit in somewhere of the board. Check the brass standoff or anything that could erroneously connect to ground any of the power supply output.
        A good thing could be check the installation OUT of the case, over a isolated table and without any drives (HD or floppy) and see if the BIOS screen comes out.

The fact of two boards didn't worked out probably something is wrong with the case or the power supply itself.
        GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
        i5-4690K + Corsair H90
        Sapphire Radeon R7 240
        16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
        Corsair CX750M
        Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. I just built a machine with a EP45-UD3P using a Q6600 and 2 sticks equating to 4GB of G. Skill memory. The machine was finished several days ago, but it's been running for three months. Three days ago the machine shut down on its own. When I tried to reboot, it just cycled on for a second and off the next. I When it cycled off, I shut off the machine and pulled the PSU plug. I waited for about ten minutes and turned the machine on. The problem hasn't repeated itself since.

Now I'm building a machine for my brother. I'm using the same setup. All of a sudden his machine does the same thing. It was running with out a problem for four days and then it shut down on its own. It cycled when I tried to turn it on. I followed the same procedure as with mine. It works for an hour or two and then shuts itself off. I tried the CMOS dump. That didn't work. Now I've changed the memory. I looked at the temps in the BIOS. The CPU is running at 33 degrees Celsius and the board is 38 degrees Celsius. That's not bad. The machine has a mild overclock of 3.2GHz. I'm waiting to see what happens. Somewhere I read that this happens to Gigabyte boards and Gigabyte can't figure out why.

Comment

That is the PSU power to motherboard, check all cables and PSU, make sure connections are good in both sockets.
            This problem most of the times come from no were, and usually reason for that.. is our to good, cable management.

Comment

My current PSU has a 12v charge of 20 amperes; might the problem be that this is not high enough to support the CPU/motherboard's power?

Comment

You have to check what power coming to motherboard in fact, not what written on PSU specks, I saw it, already twice, that one of cables was broken for 24 pin main power cable and give constant rebooting of system, check them.

Comment

Doomas,

Last night I replaced the psu. Just as before, the machine remained on for about an hour and then shut itself down. I left it overnight, about six hours, get up this morning and attempt to turn on the machine. The machine cycles. I can get it to work, but not before shutting down the psu using the switch on the psu. Then it will work for another hour and repeat the process.

I'm taking the BIOS back to its default state. If that doesn't work, I'll remove the board and set it up on the workbench.

Comment

Another think that you have to check, that temperature monitoring wia bios, I find out that temperatures with gigabyte motherboards are little bit higher then another ones, leave on bios only temperature monitoring, all rest is disable.
                    Try run system only on default settings, change only temperature monitoring. Make sure you have installed CPU cooler and thermo grease is applied on processor.

Comment

You won't believe this, but I may have found the problem. I've been using WinXP Pro for years. I just began to become vaguely familiar with Vista because I've been troubleshooting and fixing new machines. Now I'm using Vista in some of the new machines that I build. I do believe the problem is, and get ready for this, hibernation. It's default on Vista, but not so on XP.

When I came back home today, I saw the machine was off again. I figured I'd have to pull the mobo. I started with removing the mouse. As soon as I did that, without touching anything else, the machine powered up. No reboot. I was welcomed with the Switch User screen. First I thought it was because I enabled the USB mouse recognition in the BIOS, but after some thought, it dawned on me...hibernation. I canceled hibernation. Now I'll wait and see.

Comment

That possible, Asus have same bug on that, that why on first bios setup I have disabled all hibernation</SPAN> modes ant wakeup mode form any device, they are for nothing, Only on my gigabyte mobo that was disabled on default, probably that bios version for different mobo.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Comment

Hey Doomas,

I want to thank you for your helpful interaction.

CPU Cooler is Tuniq Tower 120. The thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5. Just a thin line was applied to the CPU heat spreader. Temps are cool on my machine. Read here

The temps on the attachment are from the BIOS.

Comment

No problem, if you think that was helpful, I am know some problems with PS, and if I can help, I will try to do that.

Comment

Okay. That was it. Unlike Win XP, Vista's hibernation, in the default mode, is enabled. Didn't realize that, but now I know. No PSU, memory, or other issues. Problem resolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X