Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P New Build Help

Hi,
    Well I finally got all the parts for the new DAW build and getting ready to install Windows XP Pro. My new build will be using the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P, Intel Q6600, 3 SATA Seagate HD's, 1 SATA Pioneer DVD, 1 Floppy Drive, and 2x2GB Mushkin Redline Ram. From what I've read I'll need to download the SATA drivers prior to installing XP Pro SP2.

I'm not sure if I should choose Legacy IDE, AHCI, or Raid in bios? I don't plan to run a multiple Raid HD setup, but I'd like to have the HD's running at SATA II for the best performance. I did remove the jumper on the HD's, so they are SATA II. I read somewhere that you can't go from Legacy IDE to AHCI without re-installing XP. However, is it possible to change from AHCI to Legacy IDE after installing XP?

Is there any settings in bios that I need to change prior to my XP installation or should I just load the optimized defaults. I'm familiar with how to change the boot order, but I'm not real up on a lot of the bios settings even after reading the manual. :)

I don't really care about overclocking at this point and just trying to end up with a very stable system at stock settings.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, JD...
    Last edited by JDA; 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM.

Re: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P New Build Help

Hi, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Apparently I am in somewhat a similar situation, just experienced more frustration. Here's what I found out:<o:p></o:p>
    After AHCI installation succeeds, one can and sometimes should return to IDE mode. <o:p></o:p>

When I install under AHCI mode, as I understand is necessary to avoid re-installation or tricky procedures, I get stooped at the actual install stage with the error: <o:p></o:p>

When I switching back to IDE mode, the drives are recognized etc and I am allowed to complete the installation only to test it in AHCI and face a blue screen. I tried nLite to create an installation CD that incorporates the drivers but I get the same results. <o:p></o:p>

In vista, it too has to be set in AHCI prior to installation. Only that it is unnecessary to load the AHCI driver at F6 since it is a part of vista already. <o:p></o:p>

I shall appreciate any help as well. <o:p></o:p>

atgg<o:p></o:p>

Comment

Working...
    X