GA-EP45-UD3P New Build, OCd, frequent BSODs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P New Build, OCd, frequent BSODs

Hello everyone, this is my first post and the second PC I've built (first was several years ago.)

To start off, here is my build:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.0 BIOS F6
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 E0 (yay!)
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 2X2GB CL5-5-5-15
    ASUS Radeon HD 4850 Top
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB Hard Drives (Using Matrix Raid0 for 150gb (where the os/programs are) and Raid5 for the rest)
    Corsair TX750W Power Supply
    Antec Twelve Hundred Case
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3

I'm very new to OCing but have done quite a bit of research and am relatively comfortable in the BIOS at this point. The following describes what I've done thus far, and any advice as to where I should go from here would be appreciated.

I started by bringing my FSB up to 445 and running the CPU at a 9x multi, giving me a clock of 4005 (I'm only looking to go for a (relatively) mild OC as I doubt I will be upgrading any time soon and I want my components to last (I tend to keep my rigs for several years.) The ram was set to a 2.4b multi to run at 1068. CIA is disabled and PCI-e freq is at 100. Performance Enhance is Standard and XMP is disabled as well. Timings are set at 5-5-5-15. LLC is enabled and I set my vcore to 1.275v to start, vtt at default (1.2v), pll at default (1.5v), cpu ref is on auto, mch core at default (1.1v), mch ref and dram ref on auto, ich i/o at default (1.5v), ich core at default (1.1v), dram voltage to 2.08v, and everything else on auto. Oh yes, before I forget, C1E is enabled, as are TM2 and EIST (I'd like to prolong the life of my CPU despite OCing it, if I can.)

I booted up my SP3 build of UBCD4Win 3.2.2 and proceeded to run benchmarks (memtest for a few hours, then Prime95 blend for 4 hrs, and the other two tests for 2 hours each.)

Everything seemed stable so I set up my matrix raid array and proceeded to install windows. However, after initial XP installation, just after it reboots the computer and runs a windows (instead of dos) interface for the rest of the installation process, I kept getting BSODs during the "installing devices" phase. All the stop codes I looked up (0x8e mostly) pointed to RAM errors, so I tried one stick at a time, still got the errors, tried another channel, still got the errors, then ran memtest86+ for 5 passes (both sticks installed on the 1st channel) with no errors. Finally, I decided to try upping my vcore to 1.2875v and lo and behold, windows finally installed without any problems.

I began installing drivers etc... and then started installing windows updates, at which point I started getting BSODs again, some 0x9c (machine check error), and some 0x8e as before. I've since tried upping my mch to 1.16v and vtt to 1.22v, with no improvement, and that is where I am currently.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, ambient temp in my house currently is pretty low, thermostat is at 15 (celcius), though my room is probably a little warmer than that. The rig is in an Antec 1200 case (with the two optional 120mm fans installed as well,) with all fans at max, so it has plenty of airflow, and all components are running relatively cool thus far. I don't think I've seen my CPU run above 47 (according to Core Temp) yet, and I've tried running a game for a while (Warhammer) to put a bit of stress on my GPU as well, with temps not exceeding 55 degrees, and memory temp not exceeding 60 (there are no ramsinks on this board unfortunately, so the side mounted fan that blows direclty on it is likely helping quite a bit.) I've had 1 BSOD while playing, and 1 CTD, over the course of approximately 1-2 hours of play. Anyway, all this is to say that temps should not be an issue.

I'm thinking I should up my vcore a little further to see if that stabilizes my system, but wanted to get input here first, and would appreciate any advice that may be offered. Thanks in advance! :)
    Last edited by Xerahn; 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM. Reason: Additions

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P New Build, OCd, frequent BSODs

I'm currently running an Orthos blend test, 2hrs now no isues. I'm beginning to wonder if the BSODs are due to something with software... it is windows after all... lol. I suppose a way of finding out might be to reset everything to stock and try to find out if I still have problems.
    Last edited by Xerahn; 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, so, last time I checked Orthos it had been running for 6hrs solid no problems. 3 hours after that I come back to an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0A) BSOD. Now, I'm not very familiar with Orthos (or Prime95 for that matter,) and am not sure whether errors with the cpu or ram are supposed to be reported within those stress test programs, or if you're generally waiting for a BSOD to occur. Might anyone be able to tell me whether or not I'm barking up the wrong tree? Is it likely this has something to do with my overclock, some other general incompatibility with hardware, or something software related? Has anyone else had these sorts of issues with the EP45-UD3P?

Comment

Only thing that really sticks out to me is MCH core voltage. This normallly needs to be raised to 1.24-1.28v for 4GB of ram. Also this board is very picky to MCH reference voltages, which if you didnt know both cpu ref and MCH ref are both dependant on VTT. Meaning if you set them, then change VTT they will both change(simliar thing happens w/ the mem ref's according to Dram voltage).

Anyway I personally like to run memtest86 from a bootable disk overnight if I'm OC'ing and want to install the OS when OC'd. This is to see if my settings are somewhat stable at least enough to install the OS, as memtest is not a difinative test but works well for general testing.

You kind of confused me with this:

3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB Hard Drives (Using Matrix Raid0 for 150gb (where the os/programs are) and Raid5 for the rest)
        New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Could you please trll me what VTT stands for? Have you had any memery dump blue screans?
          Thanks
          The Muncher

Main Rig
          CPU)Q9550@
          MOBO)EP45-UD3P rev.1.0
          RAM) 4g G-Skill 1066
          PSU)Corsair TX-750
          HDD) 2 Seagate 250 Raid-0
          VIDEO)EVGA 275 GTX super clock
          SOUND) Xonar DX 7.1
          MONITOR) Hanns-G 28'WS
          OS) Win 7 64 bit

Life is like a sheet sandwitch,the more bread you have the less sheet you'll have to eat

Comment

VTT=cpu termination
            New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

Comment

General rule of thumb is never install an OS on an overclocked PC

Comment

I just meant I was running my 3 HDDs in two raid arrays (using Intel Matrix Raid... it can span up to two different raid arrays over the same set of disks, so I'm using 50gb off of each disk (150gb total) to run in raid0, and the rest (around 417gb from each disk) is running in raid5.

I've been playing around a bit with my settings, but am still getting occasional BSODs. My settings are as follows:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [AUTO]
                CPU Clock Ratio .......................: 9
                Fine CPU Clock Ratio...................: 0.0
                CPU Frequency .........................: 4.00GHz (445X9)
                Clock Chip Control
                Standard Clock Control
                CPU Host Clock Control.................: [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 445
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ...........: 100
                C.I.A.2 ...............................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                CPU Clock Drive........................: 800mV
                PCI Express Clock Drive................: 900mV
                CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps
                MCH Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
                Performance Enhance....................: [STANDARD]
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)........: [Disabled]
                (G)MCH Frequency Latch.................: [AUTO]
                System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B <- Wondering if the B strapping might be causing an issue, but my ram won't run at this FSB using 2.66D
                Memory Frequency (Mhz) ................: 1068
                DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]
                Standard Timing Control
                CAS Latency Time.......................: 5
                tRCD ..................................: 5
                tRP'...................................: 5
                tRAS...................................: 15
                Advanced Timing Control
                tRRD...................................: [AUTO]
                tWTR...................................: [AUTO]
                tWR....................................: [AUTO]
                tRFC...................................: [AUTO]
                tRTP...................................: [AUTO]
                Command Rate (CMD) ....................: [AUTO]
                Driving Strength Profiles
                Driving Strength ......................: [AUTO]
                Channel A
                Static tRead Value.....................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase0 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase1 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                Trd2rd(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Twr2wr(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Twr2rd(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: [AUTO]
                Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: [AUTO]
                DDR Write Training.....................: [AUTO]
                Channel B
                Static tRead Value.....................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase0 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase1 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................: [AUTO]
                tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................: [AUTO]
                Trd2rd(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Twr2wr(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Twr2rd(Different Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank).................: [AUTO]
                Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............: [AUTO]
                Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............: [AUTO]
                DDR Write Training.....................: [AUTO]

Motherboard Voltage Control
                CPU
                Load-Line Calibration..................: [Enabled]
                CPU Vcore..............................: 1.300v
                CPU Termination........................: 1.240V
                CPU PLL................................: 1.500V
                CPU Reference..........................: 0.760V [AUTO]

MCH/ICH
                MCH Core...............................: 1.240V
                MCH Reference..........................: 0.760v [AUTO]
                MCH/DRAM Ref...........................: 0.900V [AUTO]
                ICH I/O................................: 1.500V
                ICH Core...............................: 1.100V
                DRAM
                DRAM Voltage...........................: 2.08v
                DRAM Termination ......................: 0.900V [AUTO]
                Channel A Reference....................: 0.900V [AUTO]
                Channel B Reference ...................: 0.900V [AUTO]
                Advanced Settings
                Limit CPUID Max. to 3..................: [Disabled]
                No-Execute Memory Protect..............: [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
                C2/C2E State Support...................: [Disabled]
                x C4/C4E State Support.................: [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ............: [Enabled]
                CPU EIST Function......................: [Enabled]
                Virtualization Technology..............: [Enabled]

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comment

Looks like my build is very similar to yours, SpeedEuphoria. What happened with your board?

Comment

I've been doing a bit more reading about LLC and have found some reports of it causing issues (especially when C1E and EIST are enabled,) so I'm going to try disabling it and see if that will help stabilize my system. The BSODs I do get are at pretty random times (for example while completely idle) which some point to LLC as the culprit, so I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Xerahn View Post
                      Looks like my build is very similar to yours, SpeedEuphoria. What happened with your board?
                      Mine makes a ringing noise when it idles in low power state and DES makes it worse. I just got it back yesterday and they did nothing, so a waste of a month and $10 for shipping. They sent the same board back, I called them and they said that they couldn't hear it.

I notice that with the new DES its not as noticable.

Anyway I have no issues with LLC enabled while using C1E and EIST as well as C2/4E.

Currently since i got it back I have been running 400x9 @1.25v w/ LLC disabled. This is to get all my stuff installed

How do you like your Asus Top 4850?? I just got one and like it, except its a little hot even with 100% fan speed which is very quiet BTW so I leave it on 100% at all times. I Used Ati Tool Tray to down clock it at idle which by my Kill A Watt meter saves me 15w. I plan to get an Accelero heatsink for it here soon
                      Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM.

Comment

That sucks, sorry to hear that. :(

I don't have C2/4E enabled, but I do have C1E and EIST enabled presently. Since disabling LLC (and boosting my vcore to compensate, readings in cpu-z are at about 1.28v now, which is where it was when stable-ish using LLC (but I had to boost it to 1.319 in the BIOS.)) I haven't had any BSODs thus far, hoping that really was my problem.

I love my 4850 TOP so far. It does run a bit hot, but not too bad considering. If I remember correctly, 48xx boards in general run relatively hot. I run my fan at 100% all the time too, and have a 120mm side mounted case fun blowing air on it as well at 100% (79cfm.) I haven't seen the cores run at over 57 degrees C yet, and about 63 degrees max so far for the memory modules. I'm tempted to get another one, but we'll see. It's been pretty good so far, though I've only really tested it with Warhammer Online (running everything at max, 1920x1200... a hell of a lot different than my old rig that had to run everything at minimum and still stuttered lol.)
                        Last edited by Xerahn; 01-20-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Mine runs hotter, 64.5C max core and 74C mem, I have a 120mfan above it(may case has the videocard on top/cpu bottom), currently the fan is blowing up at my HDD's but I will change it to blow on the card to see how the temps change. I just wanted to blow the hot air up and past my HDD's to exit my PSU, but I know fans are better cooling when pushing instead of pulling. Oh BTW this is with the card underclocked to 660/1050 and using 1 step lower than stock voltage(1.082v)

Comment

Huh, that's surprising. I just ran CCC's Auto-Tune, and apparently it's saying I can run mine at 790/1070. I think I'll keep it at 750/1060, I think that's a pretty decent OC. Yeah, having fresh, cool air blown directly on the card really seems to help this particular one (especially with no ramsinks on it.)

BTW, my rig seems to be rock-solid now with LLC disabled, seems that was indeed the cause of my woes. It's higher in BIOS obviously but my vcore shown in cpu-z is 1.28.

Comment

Working...
                            X