Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound problem with Gigabyte P35-DS3L + Logitech Z-5500 over Digital

Hi All,

I tried connecting my new Logitech Z-5500 to my Gigabyte P35-DS3L using Digital S/PDIF (Coax) and had problems with surround sound. I've tried running the Sound Manager 3D demo, but it only plays music out of the front two speakers. Is this is a software issue with the Sound Manager tool or can the motherboard only do 2.0 sound out of digital ports? When I click the Speakers in the "Audio I/O" tab only sound comes out of the front two speakers as well.

Before everyone rushes to offer advice please note:
    - Yes, the Sound Manager is set to 6-Channel Audio
    - Yes, I tried updating the settings under Digital in the Sound Manager, no change
    - Yes, surround sound works with 3 direct stereo jacks, but I was hoping to replace them with a single coax jack
    - Yes the cable I have is specifically for digital audio

Any thoughts?

Re: Sound problem with Gigabyte P35-DS3L + Logitech Z-5500 over Digital

Did you disable Azalia in the BIOS if this uses a add-in card?

Are you using the latest RealTek driver if not

Comment

I'm using the on-board sound so no, I have not disabled the on-board.

Comment

Latest Realtek driver installed then or not?

Comment

After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I was able to hear surround sound in the test application, but no where else. Without supporting a standard such as DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Surround Sound, the on-board sound always outputted digital that the Logitech Z-5500 couldn't really correct for. In other words the RealTek on-board sound is completely useless for gaming, especially with the Logitech Z-5500 speaker system.

I picked up a DTS/Dolby sound card and its clearly doing a better job with the Logitech Z-5500 than the previous one in that I'm getting true surround sound it games.

I suppose shouldn't be surprised the on-board sound does a terrible job, but what surprises me is that both audio cards support outputting digital 5.1 surround sound over coax, the on-board just doesn't have any of the proper encoders to make it work right.

Comment

Working...
          X