Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build GA-EP45-UD3R - system wont stay on

Hi all,

been having fun (severe sarcasm) all day trying to figure out what the issue is here. I assembled a new system, some new parts some used. And the system is currently wacked, totally unstable and have not been able to get anywhere yet to fix.

First time powering on the system I can boot to BIOS, fiddle around for 1-4 minutes before system shuts down. Then when I try to power up again, it runs for 2-3 seconds and just shuts down again. If I wait 15 minutes I can repeat the cycle. I have been fiddling with everything I can think of, removing components, removing memory, etc and just not getting anywhere. Doing google searches I found these forums and looked like some people where having similar issues, so hopefully this is the place.

I am open to try most things at this point, but according to the BIOS the processor is not overheating, never gets of 28C, system itself gets to 31C. Have not even tried to boot to hard drives yet, figured whats the point if I can't last more than a few minutes in BIOS.

From what I have figured out so far, memory settings in BIOS is the most likely culprit, but hard to get in there and change them sometimes before it shuts off. Hoping for some answers.

Here are the system specs
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core2 Duo E8500

Patriot Viper DDR2 SDRAM
    Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

FSP 600W powersupply (was in working system last night)
    Newegg.com - FSP Group FX600-GLN 600W V2.2/EPS12V SLI Support Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800GTX 512 MB CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Re: new build GA-EP45-UD3R - system wont stay on

Sorry should add that I am running an EVGA 8800GT Vid card

Also after saving any settings in BIOS it shuts down and reboots. Is this normal? In my case once it shuts down it doesn't start up again, does the usual 2-3 seconds and shuts down. Really this is fun :)

Comment

I checked the link for your RAM and it's spec is 2.1 volts. You need to clear the CMOS, try to boot to BIOS, load optimized defaults and set Vdimm to 2.1 volts. Don't worry about any other settings at this time. Yes, once you exit the BIOS the system will always reboot. Default Vdimm is 1.8 volts so hopefully you can at least get in to change it to 2.1. If not you will have to boot with another stick on RAM rated at 1.8 -1.9 volts and set Vdimm to 2.1, then shut down, put the new sticks in and boot.

Comment

Flyfisher

Thanks for the reply, I loaded optimized defaults and changed the voltage to 2.1 as per the memory specs. Still seems to be suffering the same issue though.

It seems like there are a lot of possible settings and options. From many of the posts I have read on here sounds like you really have to have quite a few settings set just right.

Is there a point where I assume there is an actual hardware issue?

As of now I am only running 1 Dimm of memory, it seems slightly more stable than 2 for the time being, but its still horrible as it stands now.

Comment

So it just shuts off when in the BIOS? Like somebody pulled the plug? Strange. Once you have the Vdimm set it should boot fine at default settings. Your PSU is plenty too. Check that the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are properly seated. The only other thing I can think of is to try setting the memory timings manually. With 2x2Gb sticks it usually requires a tRFC of at least 52. But you are still having problems with one stick so that doesn't make sense either. You could also run Memtest to see if your memory is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisher View Post
            So it just shuts off when in the BIOS? Like somebody pulled the plug? Strange. Once you have the Vdimm set it should boot fine at default settings. Your PSU is plenty too. Check that the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are properly seated. The only other thing I can think of is to try setting the memory timings manually. With 2x2Gb sticks it usually requires a tRFC of at least 52. But you are still having problems with one stick so that doesn't make sense either. You could also run Memtest to see if your memory is OK.
            Yeah it just shuts off, like loss of power, very frustrating. I keep thinking I have faulty part(s) but a lot of ppl on forums have posted similar reports and memory seems to be the issue. So hoping I don't have to RMA anything. It is very odd how once it shuts off I have to pull the plug and wait like 5 minutes before it will post again. Nothing gets hot on the board at all, nothing is overheating.

Most annoying part about troubleshooting a new system build is never having other parts to swap out and test.

I downloaded that memtest last night but will run it tonight when I get home. I assume I will have the same stability issues trying to get that to run but will give it a shot. I have tried each stick on its own and haven't noticed a difference, so would assume its unlikely I have 2 faulty sticks of ram. Hoping its just some wierd settings, otherwise I will RMA the board, hell might RMA the memory as well if this keeps up.

Thanks for the help so far, really hoping there is a fix.

Comment

OK I guess I have to put my lack of foresight out there. On checking Patriots website on the memory in question

Patriot Memory - Patriot Extreme Perfornamce Memory

I just noticed that they state the memory is designed for Nvidia based chipsets, which my MB is not one of. I think at this stage I should just RMA this and get approved memory for this board. And hope that will solve my problem. If this is not the issue and someone knows otherwise please let me know, but I am starting this process now.

Edit:
              Of course this item from NewEgg is non-refundable, only replaceable. Ahh I used to enjoy building my own systems.

So still have memory that may not work with my board. I have a feeling I will just eat some funds here and buy compatible memory anyway.
              Last edited by lord_johnwhorfin; 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

That ram is fine in this board for sure. So did you get memtest ran on each stick at stock settings manually set one by one yet to be sure you did not get faulty ram shipped to you?

You should also be putting performance enhance on standard.

Here would be optimal setting ranges for your ram (Both sticks) at stock >>>

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
                CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
                Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.5
                CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.16

Clock Chip Control
                Standard Clock Control
                CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
                MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
                Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40B
                Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
                DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                CAS Latency Time........................4
                tRCD .........................................4
                tRP'...........................................4
                tRAS..........................................12

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
                tRRD...........................................3-4
                tWTR..........................................3-6
                tWR............................................4-6
                tRFC...........................................52-62
                tRTP...........................................3-5
                Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
                Driving Strength ............................800/1066 (Benchmark/Test Both last. Set 800 now, I find one above ram to work best, but you may have issues using 1066 until you get squared away. But maybe not try it first if you like)

Channel A
                Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH (Set 10 for now)

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH (Set 10 for now)

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                Voltage Type.………... Manual
                CPU
                CPU Vcore….……….........................: Auto if not overclocking
                CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << Please set if overclocking, if not Auto is fine
                CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
                MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 (1.2-1.24 likely good)
                MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.55-1.6
                ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14-1.2
                DRAM
                DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1V
                DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  That ram is fine in this board for sure. So did you get memtest ran on each stick at stock settings manually set one by one yet to be sure you did not get faulty ram shipped to you?

You should also be putting performance enhance on standard.

Here would be optimal setting ranges for your ram (Both sticks) at stock
                  Hey Lsdmeasap,

I have not run memtest, I tried to last night but system kept shutting off after a 20-30 seconds, before it would even boot to CD. I got frustrated and gave up, ordered some g.skill memory and will see if it was indeed the memory.

However, I did however make almost all the setting changes you listed above (before you posted them, found a similar post you had made to someone) except that I only had 1 stick in and the settings for the

Channel A & Channel B
                  Static tRead Value of 10 I had mine both set to either 6 or 7

MCH Core I had set to 1.24

It still had the same issues. So at this stage, do I have to assume some faulty parts? Hopefully new memory will arrive soon and will see if that was the issue or not. I took another members advice and ordered this Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory I was told it ran out of the box with this MB without issue, so hoping for the best.

If this new memory still has issues, would the MB be the culprit? I can start on redoing the wifes new PC, I think she has a 450 W powersupply that I can borrow and see if that is the issue.

Comment

well the settings above are for 4GB of ram. And static tread of 6-7 may be to low depending on your ram and other settings/voltages

It's all settings, either set of ram should work for you fine once you get things set correctly. I think you may see the same issues with that set, just keep in mind it is all settings, not faulty hardware

Let me know when you get your new ram and I will help you out

What PSU are you using now? And what Graphics card do you have? If your PSU is less then 450W then yes it may be part of the issue with your setup, but likely not the main issue

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      well the settings above are for 4GB of ram. And static tread of 6-7 may be to low depending on your ram and other settings/voltages

It's all settings, either set of ram should work for you fine once you get things set correctly. I think you may see the same issues with that set, just keep in mind it is all settings, not faulty hardware

Let me know when you get your new ram and I will help you out

What PSU are you using now? And what Graphics card do you have? If your PSU is less then 450W then yes it may be part of the issue with your setup, but likely not the main issue
                      OK I have both sticks of RAM in there now totally 4 Gb and all the settings that you suggested as well. Still having the same issue as before. Also cleared the CMOS, loaded optimized defaults and started the process again from the begining. Still the same results.

The power supply is a 600Watt, it worked fine in the PC that I just took it out off. Even still I unplugged just about all components, even ran PC without the video card and still have this same issue of it just turning off randomly and never running for more than a few minutes. Also got a speaker since the case was missing one. When the PC boots its fine beeps once like normal, but once it shuts down it will only power on for 2-3 seconds and powers off again, never even gets a chance to beep at all.

I finally was able to see the BIOS which is F5, and board is Rev 1.1

Is this still all just settings? Could these issues possible be hardware related? I hope to have the other memory tomorrow or Friday the latest.

Comment

And for the record I am not able to run that memtest application from CD. Same issue, the system randomly shuts off.

I really hope I just have some faulty memory would be the easiest solution at this stage.

Comment

Update:

well I ended up RMA'ing the board and ordering another brand. Put everything together with the new board and it ran fine. I am pretty sure the MB I had was faulty, although some were saying it was just settings.

Either way I want to thank all of those that offered help and assistance. Main reason I went with another brand was simply that the GA-EP45-UD3R really wasn't for me at this stage. After delving through many of the problems and issues people had with customizing and getting all the settings just right for stability is just not where I am at these days. My interest in all that tweaking and what not is just not there anymore.

Anyway, thanks all for the help, nice forum and good people you have on here.

Comment

Well, that doesn't help me any...lol
                            My PC powers off when I run Prime95 for 1 or 2 minutes...OC at 3.6Ghz Q6600.
                            I was thinking it was the PSU crapping out, but now I guess it isn't!?

Comment

Working...
                            X