Building a new system with EP45-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a new system with EP45-UD3R

Okay. Today I went 60 miles out of my way to pick up a new E8400. Remove the old D 820, apply some thermal compound and I re-insert the new CPU and HSF. Clear CMOS and power it on with one stick. Get into BIOS, hit F7 (and reset the DRAM to 2.0V) Everything looks good - the 9 mulitplier took me to 3.0 G - I restarted.

Get back into BIOS AND IT STILL FREEZES UP. I tried two other sticks (one was 667 DDR2) and the same thing happens; exact same behavior as with my former CPU. I ready to send / take everything back but obviously this isn't working for me. But oh, I can only exchange the proc so I guess I have to make this work.

One thing that is interesting - I only get video when I get into BIOS - I don't get a screen unless I actually intervene - which seems wrong. GPU : XFX 8800GT Alpha Maybe some BOS setting ? Perhaps there is stuff going on that I don't see?

I just can't imagine the PS is a problem because, well, I can't .... Thermaltake PurePower 600

Back to the main point : What am I doing wrong here ? Should I just go to Best Buy, pick up a cheap card and PS and try those and see if it makes a difference???

If I had a rope I'd be at the end if it

TIA
    Last edited by zamster; 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    Intel Duo E8400
    Zalman CNPS9700 LED
    G.Skill 2GB DDR2 1066 x 2 CL 5 5-5-5-15 @ +2.0v
    XFX 8800GT AD
    320GB WD RAID1 (2 boot partitions)
    (3) WD SATA drives (data)
    SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer
    Thermaltake 600W
    Antec 900
    Vista Home 64b SP1
    HannsG 28" 1080p

Comment

So I decided to troubleshoot with plastic courtesy of Best Buy. I got a new PS (500W Antec) and a new (admittedly low-end 8400) PCIe graphics card. Replaced the PS. No change (May keep it anyway). Replaced the GPU. BIG CHANGE. I saw the BIOS splash screen at soon as I applied power. Been sitting at the PS health screen for a hour and half and still responsive. I submitted a Support case with XFX to get my GPU fixed. I liked the GPU and look forward to overclocking that too.

Given there are numerous EP45-UD3R + E8400 + 1066 Memory users out there, I needn't request a template.; it's already posted.

I also downloaded Windows 7 so I look forward to dropping that on a partition.

Thanks for your help - I'll be back with more detailed OC'ing questions - maybe. There's a wealth of info here ...

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
      Intel Duo E8400
      Zalman CNPS9700 LED
      XFX 8800GT AD
      SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer
      Thermaltake 600W
      Antec 900
      Vista Home 64b SP1
      HannsG 28" 1080p

Comment

Y'know, right from the jump your problems read like those that down the years I've replaced lots of low-end PSU's fo (amp starvation), but yours should

Comment

It booted immediately to a previous XP build (after re-activation) so that's pretty good. Now once I update for the new graphics card and re-install the rest of the HW, I'll DL some SW and beat on it a bit. I'll get my 8800GT in the mail and hope I get it back quickly. I don't know what the turnaround time is: Crysis awaits! Until then Resistance 2 will have to suffice
          Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
          Intel Duo E8400
          Zalman CNPS9700 LED
          XFX 8800GT AD
          SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer
          Thermaltake 600W
          Antec 900
          Vista Home 64b SP1
          HannsG 28" 1080p