Very slow RAID GA-P35C-DS3r ich9r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very slow RAID GA-P35C-DS3r ich9r

I have five indentical Seagate 7200.10 drives setup in a RAID 5 configuration. The performance is much, much slower than even a single drive.

I have updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest , and am running the Intel Matrix Storage software version 8.6. Operating System is Windows Server 2008 x64. The RAID array is fully built and no longer initializing.

During a file copy, drive performance seems fine at first then drops to very very low levels. Copying a 1.5GB ISO from this machine to another starts out copying the file at about 120MB/sec. Great. However, about 1GB into the transfer, the speed drops down to 10MB/sec and continues to drop to about 3. Shortly after that the speed and time estimates that Windows provides become unaccurate ... but a 1.5GB file ends up taking about 15 minutes. This problem occurs not just in reading but in writing as well -- the same test performed in the other direction causes the same results.

The problem also occurs copying from one partition on the RAID volume to another, and even when copying from an external USB drive (although as you might expect the starting numbers on the USB copy start much lower than 120MB/sec).

During the copy if I try to cancel the copy, windows reports the transfer cancelled but the drives still go and the system is borderline unresponsive for the next 3-5 minutes at which time things "pop" back to normal.

I have tried a complete OS reinstall allowing Windows to proceed normally and then again with the option to load the driver before the instlall.

Re: Very slow RAID GA-P35C-DS3r ich9r

Well PC to PC Transfer is going to be limited by the method used not your array.

Do you have write back Cache enabled?

Comment

Working...
    X