GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - powers on for 1 sec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - powers on for 1 sec

First timer here and need some help with a power on issue.

I am helping a friend with his PC that he recently put together.
    He said that it was working fine until he put in a new Q6700 CPU with a Zalman CNPS9700 fan.

Now all it does is turn on and beep for 1 sec then turns off and back on again in a continuous cycle.

He said he put the original CPU back in with the Zalman fan and it does the same thing.

I just started on it so I've only tried the following:

1. Removed memory and only left 1 in slot closest to CPU - no change
    2. Replaced PSU with another - no change
    3. Reset (cleared) CMOS - no change

I checked to make sure the 12v connector is plugged in for CPU so that isn't it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mav

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - powers on for 1 sec

How did you clear the CMOS? Here is my suggested method, see post two >>

Then if no luck, I would be getting the board out of the case, off the tray and onto a wooden table o cardboard box and start with the minimum. CPU/Heatsink, One stick of ram, and the GFX Card that is it, nothing else. While you have it out I would also check the CPU Socket for bent pins.... Ya never know

Comment

Originally posted by Mavlon View Post
      He said he put the original CPU back in with the Zalman fan and it does the same thing.
      The Zalman cooler itself may be causing this continuous reboot...
      Did he also try to start up the system with the original CPU's stock cooler installed instead of the Zalman cooler?

Comment

Actually I was just doing all of what you just suggested and have the mobo on my lab bench now but got the same result.

I removed the CPU and found some thermal grease covering a couple of the contacts. BAD
        There was a ton of grease everywhere YIKES!!
        I cleaned it all up and am now going to reinstall the CPU and try it out.

Didn't work - I talked to my friend and he said that after he installed everything with new CPU, the system powered on for 1 sec and then sounded like a pop and it went down. After that, it started the never ending power on/off loop.

I tried powering on the mobo without anything plugged into it (I even removed the cpu) and it stayed on.

I haven't tried clearing the CMOS using that guide which is alot more than what I did to clear it so maybe that will work.

Meanwhile, I have another mobo I can use to verify that the cpu's are still working.
        I'll give an update in a little while.

Update - Swapped Mobo and installed all the original components from the failing Mobo and everything works.

I have a feeling the new mobo got damaged when the cpu was installed with grease covering some contacts.
        Last edited by Mavlon; 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I cleared the CMOS including removing the battery then put everything back onto the new mobo and it still does the same thing. I think it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince iSO-1992 View Post
            The Zalman cooler itself may be causing this continuous reboot...
            Did he also try to start up the system with the original CPU's stock cooler installed instead of the Zalman cooler?

He didn't bring the original fan with him so I can't check if it's the fan. The fan did work on the other mobo though.

update: My friend informed me that when he installed the new Q6700 cpu, he forgot to take off the clear tape over the bottom of cpu (copper base). oops!
            Since then, it's been doing the same thing.
            Last edited by Mavlon; 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Anyone else have some more troubleshooting tips I could try?

Comment

I installed both of the CPU's on the old mobo and they both work :)
                As for the new mobo, it just does't want to work.
                I'm going to order a new one.
                Thanks for the input Prince and LSD

Comment

I installed both of the CPU's on the old mobo and they both work :)
                  As for the new mobo, it just does't want to work.
                  I'm going to order a new one.
                  Thanks for the input Prince and LSD
                  You could try flash update bios for EP45-UD3P, what bios do you have ?

pg
                  GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                  New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                  G
                  .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                  MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                  PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                  Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Originally posted by powergiga View Post
                    You could try flash update bios for EP45-UD3P, what bios do you have ?

pg
                    It only stays on for 1 sec and turns off then back on again then repeats. The cpu fan will barely move then it shuts off and back on. It doesn't have enough time to post or anything.

I tried turning on the mobo with the 12v cpu power unplugged and it stayed on continuously, but the cpu fan doesn't spin and nothing else happens. I know that the 12v cpu power needs to be plugged in, but I wanted to see if there was a change and there actually was.
                    The same failure comes back when I plug the 12v power back in for CPU.
                    Last edited by Mavlon; 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Clear Tape on the CPU? What is that, never seen tape on any CPU's

Sounds like your buddy should maybe be building with a friend and not alone?

Ya, sadly sounds like he somehow borked the board. Good luck on the RMA, wish you a speedy replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Clear Tape on the CPU? What is that, never seen tape on any CPU's

Sounds like your buddy should maybe be building with a friend and not alone?

Ya, sadly sounds like he somehow borked the board. Good luck on the RMA, wish you a speedy replacement
                        I asked him again and he meant it was some clear plastic on the bottom of the Zalman fan.

Update: New mobo came in and the same problem exists :(

Comment

I asked him again and he meant it was some clear plastic on the bottom of the Zalman fan.

Update: New mobo came in and the same problem exists :(
                          Maybe bad CPU ? or you need new PSU if problem go away.

Check bios for support quad cpu with UD3P.

pg
                          G

Comment

Problem fixed - I tried using 1 memory module in slot 1 and it failed, so I removed it and tried the other memory module in slot 1 and it worked.
                            I swear I tried that already, but I guess I must have mixed up the modules.

I verified defective memory module by using a King Tiger KT-2pro tester.
                            Result - One device failed (u4) during functional testing.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm happy that I found this forum, you guys rock!!

Mav
                            Last edited by Mavlon; 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Problem fixed - I tried using 1 memory module in slot 1 and it failed, so I removed it and tried the other memory module in slot 1 and it worked.
                              I swear I tried that already, but I guess I must have mixed up the modules.

I verified defective memory module by using a King Tiger KT-2pro tester.
                              Result - One device failed (u4) during functional testing.

Thanks for all of the advise. I'm happy that I found this forum, you guys rock!!

Mav
                              glad to hear,
                              pg
                              G

Comment

Working...
                              X