No announcement yet.

Only showing 4gig on post instead 6gig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only showing 4gig on post instead 6gig.

i have strange problem.In the bios all 3 channels are showing for the memory but only 4096 is displayed at post ,when i booted into Vista x64 the o/s is only showing 4gig.If i look at cpuz it is showing 6gig and triple channel.Anyone else had this problem?

If have done the following.

Reflashed and cleared cmos
    Reloaded bios defaults.

All settings @ stock
    Default volts:

cpu 1.2
    dram 1.54
    qpi/vtt 1.175

Re-seated the memory
    swapped the sticks around

tested each stick in ddr3_1 slot -each test displayed 2gig
    tested dual channel in dd3 3_1 and ddr3 3_3 -displayed 4gig

with all three channels only 4gig is displayed on post.

The memory appears to be ok.

My spec:
    3 x 2gb corsair cl8 1600mhz 1.65v
    i7 920 batch 3838a820 rev c0/c1
    true black with Scythe S-FLEX 1600RPM
    gigabyte ex58-ud5 f4 bios
    corsair 750tx
    4870 512mb
    linksys pci wireless card
    1 x VelociRaptor 300gb
    1 x wd 750gb
    1 x samsung spinpoint 1tb
    1 x samsung sata dvd writer
    silverstone fortress ft01 <!-- / sig -->
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Re: Only showing 4gig on post instead 6gig.

Did you not test the middle slot you are using? DDR3 slot 2

Comment

have the exact same issue

windows and cpu-z displaying all 6gb, post showing 4gb, and even showed 2gb once on a reboot. I haven't even touched bios settings in MIT since i put this together yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by gFiz View Post
        have the exact same issue

windows and cpu-z displaying all 6gb, post showing 4gb, and even showed 2gb once on a reboot. I haven't even touched bios settings in MIT since i put this together yesterday.

I have tested the modules one by one in each slot that allows 1 module to be installed (inc the middle slot).I have found the problem however which may or may not apply to you.One of the pins at the bottom of the socket 1366 was slightly bent .Not sure how i carefully put the cpu in and it only goes one way!After bending it back in postion (not easy used a small needle pinhead) its posts with 6gig.Check your socket 1366 for bent pins at the bottom/middle 2-3 pins right.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comment

Thanks for posting your findings Tonytiger!

Comment

not sure why/how that would be the cause if windows and cpu-z show the full 6 now and it's just the post showing 4. I guess i could take everything out and try it, but it's kind of a PITA and unless the pin came bent, not sure how it could have happened. If that is the case, i might just rma the entire mobo since i just got it yesterday and not really keen on dropping $300 on a defective mobo that i have to fix bending pins back with needles.

Comment

Could be due to those different items scanning hardware in different ways

This is the first I have seen the issue, and of course the first fix/finding of the cause as well.

So good luck, hope your pins are ok. If they are, I dunno what to suggest

Comment

Originally posted by gFiz View Post
                not sure why/how that would be the cause if windows and cpu-z show the full 6 now and it's just the post showing 4. I guess i could take everything out and try it, but it's kind of a PITA and unless the pin came bent, not sure how it could have happened. If that is the case, i might just rma the entire mobo since i just got it yesterday and not really keen on dropping $300 on a defective mobo that i have to fix bending pins back with needles.
                If it is a bent pin ,yes i would RMA.I fixed mine to save me the bother of a RMA.The pins on the 1366 are quite strong but i would not attempt to bend a pin back into postion mainly because they are so small! My problem however is slightly different to your issue ,vista x64 and bios post showing 4gig and not 6gig.The bios did show all 3 channels in use and cpuz showing 6gig triple channel.In your case it could be a bios issue does memtest show 6gig?

Comment

Working...
                X