Boot from usb GA-G33M-DS2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot from usb GA-G33M-DS2R

Hi i am having problems booting from a usb flash drive from the afore mentioned mb. The flash drive is formated as fat 32 and in fact boots fine off of usb on this old p4 comp i have. I am using the flash drive as a windows install instead of having to use the dvd. When booting if you try and set boot order it gives you a list of usb-fdd, usb-zip, usb-hdd, legacy lan. I have tried all bar the lan but its a no go. Has anybody else come accross this. What selection should i be trying to use or should it be showing up in the hdd section. ?? Any help would be very grateful.

Re: Boot from usb GA-G33M-DS2R

Does that board have a Hard Disk Boot Priority option in the Advanced BIOS?

If so you'll need to move the USB-HDD into first place there even if it is first in the boot order. Also, is Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the Integrated Peripherals? If not you'll need to enable it and reboot before the USB-HDD will show up in the Hard Disk Boot Priority list, should you have one.

That's what I have to do, but I have an EP45-DS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasty Breakfast View Post
      Does that board have a Hard Disk Boot Priority option in the Advanced BIOS?

If so you'll need to move the USB-HDD into first place there even if it is first in the boot order. Also, is Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the Integrated Peripherals? If not you'll need to enable it and reboot before the USB-HDD will show up in the Hard Disk Boot Priority list, should you have one.

That's what I have to do, but I have an EP45-DS4.
      Have moved usb-hdd to first place and hdd is now second. Putting in the flash drive and booting brings up invalid partition. This seems strange as it looks to me as if it trying to boot from the flash drive but bringing up this error. Yet on the old p4 it boots into the install rotiune no problems at all. THe flash drive is 8gig and formated to fat32 and is only the one partition and is primary and set as active. Any more suggestions ??.

Comment

First Legacy USB Storage detect needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Then leave the stick in and reboot and hit F12 to get to the Boot menu (BIOS Boot order settings do not apply or matter to use this method). Once you are at the Boot Choice menu choose + Hard Drive and on the next screen you will be able to choose your USB Stick by name.

Then you install will proceed provided you properly made a bootable USB Stick

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          First Legacy USB Storage detect needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Then leave the stick in and reboot and hit F12 to get to the Boot menu (BIOS Boot order settings do not apply or matter to use this method). Once you are at the Boot Choice menu choose + Hard Drive and on the next screen you will be able to choose your USB Stick by name.

Then you install will proceed provided you properly made a bootable USB Stick
          Yup legacy is enabled in bios for usb. But i am not seeing the USB stick after you hit f12 and select +HDD , my drive i want to install to is listed but not the usb stick. Thats why the old p4 is installing from it because it see's it and you can select it. This has got me puzzled as i can see no reason why this mb should not be able to see the flash drive. I know the usb ports are ok because if i plug in my other hdd and boot off it into windows then plug the drive in it see's it for use.

Comment

Did you go to the second screen? You hit + Hard Drive then on the next screen choose your USB Stick instead of Hard drive

You may just need to re-format the stick? Some sticks just plain old wont work either.

Might as well install from CD you would be done by now. Just so you know, that above method is the only way I have ever booted from USB on my GA boards

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Did you go to the second screen? You hit + Hard Drive then on the next screen choose your USB Stick instead of Hard drive

You may just need to re-format the stick? Some sticks just plain old wont work either.

Might as well install from CD you would be done by now. Just so you know, that above method is the only way I have ever booted from USB on my GA boards
              Yup went into the second screen but its not listed. I also have a usb hard drive and it does not see that from the boot screen either for some reason. If the usb works ok in the old p4 as a boot stick would it not be seeable by the ga board though. ?? - I justed wanted proof of concept to boot off the flash drive more for later use. Will just have to keep trying a few options i guess.

Comment

Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled? You may need to Format your USB stick again, I know some sticks do have issues and need this, some will not work at all.

As for Booting from a external USB Drive, I don't think that is going to work at all.

I would suggest you try formatting that stick on that PC and try again. Or try a different USB Stick.

If you only wanted it to flash your BIOS with anyway, you do not need to boot from it at all. Just go into Qflash and flash from it. You can go in there and look to see if it is found. Here is some images of how it "May" Show up in Qflash >>>

Comment

As it turns out it looks as if the stick does not sit well with gb board. I grabed another stick and it found it straight away on boot. This rasies a question though of i wonder why the old p4 system i have see's and boots from it yet the gb board does not. Anyway its no major problem as i can use the other usb stick.

Comment

Ahh nice to see you found the issue. Ya, I am not sure why but I have seen a few sticks not work for Qflash as well

I dunno, but I know it is true??

Comment

Working...
                    X