Need Advice for overclocking e7300 on P35-S3G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice for overclocking e7300 on P35-S3G

Hi all, I'm new at overclocking, and this is first time I have a PC worth overclocking :)
    So, I have :
    Cpu: Intel Core2duo e7300 2.66Ghz (default) + CoolerMaster HyperUCg HCA-F61-GP (idle 29-30C on default values, 58-59C full load with Orthos)
    Mb: Gigabyte P35-S3G (had F2 rev, now is F3a)
    Mem: 2*1 Gb Ocz ddr2 1066 http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...tanium_edition
    Vga: Gainward 8800 GTS 320 MB
    Power Supply: 550W (hope this is enough)
    rest: 2*Hdd(80+500Gb), Tv card, DVD-rw.

I spent all day yesterday reading this forums for helpfull articles, and found lots of them, great job Lsdmeasap :), and all night testing :)

First, I installed new Bios, F4 didnt work for me, F3 also. Only with F3a I could overclock...

Here is my current Bios setting:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [10]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333] 266 default, tried also 300, 340, 360 and 400
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100] tried also 102 and 110
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]tried 2.5, 3, 3.2, 3.33, 4
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 default
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 default
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5 default
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15 default

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4
    Static tRead Value_______________8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3V] default 1.8V (On the memory is 2.1V sign)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.350]default 1.150, is this too much?

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect_____[Enabled]

So, my vision is to get around 3.6Ghz for Cpu, and dunno for the memory how much it can take...

I tried to get stable values, but had no luck, after few hours, PC restarts and resets to default values.
    Oh, and the NorthBridge is very hot after overclocking, and it's very close to the CPU cooler

So, I need help configuring FSB and memory values, and voltages...

Thanx
    Last edited by hajduk82; 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM.

Re: Need Advice for overclocking e7300 on P35-S3G

Hmm, F3 should work as it would be the final of F3a. And F4 should for sure work

You do know that all your settings cannot be the exact same always between BIOS Versions right? Tweaking would need to be all over again

Anyhow, just thought I would put that out there incase you gave up to quickly on the newer BIOS's

Your NB looks fine, I mean it is not too close to the CPU. What you can do is put a 40MM fan on there, you can get them cheap at newegg. I would like to tell you also, you should turn your CPU Heatsink around so that the hot air is blown out your rear exhaust instead of back into the case. And when you get the $$ get you a 120MM fan to put back there

I would use this for 3.6 with your setup >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [401] = 3.609Ghz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100-102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66] << if your board does not offer 2.66, use 2.40 for now

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________6-8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.3V] default 1.8V (On the memory is 2.1V sign) +0.3 is good

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << maybe +0.2, but I think +0.1 would be fine
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.350]default 1.150, is this too much? << all up to your chip, just set high enough so you can boot, you can always lower later. Do keep in mind also, what you set here will be less in windows and even less at load (Vdrop/Vdroop) you can check this amount with CPU-z >>>
    CPUID

Maybe 1.25-1.35 actual for 3.6 would be needed all up to your board and chip

Comment

For the newer versions of Bios, I tested all posible variations, and none of them aplied after restart... Only with F3a It saved my settings, and loaded normaly into Windows.

I will do what you suggested for the 40mm fan on NB :) But it's too much work to turn around the CPU cooler, it tool me loong time to screw it, the MB must me unscrewed from the tower, and all the card off course :) But my case is always open, so I dont think it will be a problem...

For the memory multiplayer it doesnt have 2.66, only 2.5, I can use that, so the Mem Freq would be 1002.5 Mhz
      Can it go more? like 1200Mhz? (x3 multiplayer)

Latencies stay the same, and Voltages as far as I can see, only maybe +0.2 for (G)MCH
      Curently CPU Voltage is 1.350 V, so I'll test with litle lower values

Thanx for all the help :)
      Last edited by hajduk82; 01-08-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Hi hajduk82,

AFTER flashing a new BIOS with Q-Flash, upon the first POST, always re-enter BIOS and Load Optimized Settings, then reboot. This enables the new BIOS to re-detect all the peripheral devices. This is described on page 62, step 5 of the User's Manual, as well as in Lsdmeasap's BIOS sticky.

I've used F2, F4, F5a, F5b, and all have been equally competent at overclocking. The problem I've faced with this P35-S3G is attaining stability much beyond 390fsb. My meager 65nm CPU doesn't allow much broader experimentation, so I'm curious as to how high you'll be able to take it.

I also have never seen a 2.66 memory multiplier on this P35-S3G / e2160 combo, with any BIOS.

I used two paper clips and a twist tie to attach a 50mm fan to my MCH heatsink ... works good.

Voltages (YMMV): DDR-never needed more than +0.2v as high as 1080mHz (edited: not 1180) ... FSB-never needed more than NORMAL thru 390fsb ... MCH-never needed more than +0.1v for my 2x1gb memory ... PCIe-never have seen this parameter, even using Ctrl+F1, perhaps it's distinct to the F3 BIOSs.

hth
        Last edited by jfk&g; 01-08-2009, 07:18 AM.
        Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
        Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
        G.Skill 4x1GB
        PC2-6400-NQ
        840mHz +0.2v
        Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
        Rosewill
        RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

Originally posted by jfk&g View Post
          Hi hajduk82,

AFTER flashing a new BIOS with Q-Flash, upon the first POST, always re-enter BIOS and Load Optimized Settings, then reboot. This enables the new BIOS to re-detect all the peripheral devices. This is described on page 62, step 5 of the User's Manual, as well as in Lsdmeasap's BIOS sticky.

I've used F2, F4, F5a, F5b, and all have been equally competent at overclocking. The problem I've faced with this P35-S3G is attaining stability much beyond 390fsb. My meager 65nm CPU doesn't allow much broader experimentation, so I'm curious as to how high you'll be able to take it.

I also have never seen a 2.66 memory multiplier on this P35-S3G / e2160 combo, with any BIOS.

I used two paper clips and a twist tie to attach a 50mm fan to my MCH heatsink ... works good.

Voltages (YMMV): DDR-never needed more than +0.2v as high as 1180mHz ... FSB-never needed more than NORMAL thru 390fsb ... MCH-never needed more than +0.1v for my 2x1gb memory ... PCIe-never have seen this parameter, even using Ctrl+F1, perhaps it's distinct to the F3 BIOSs.

hth
          I did all that, I read all of the instructions... Many people had the same problem, with other versions of Bios, only with F3a they could overclock, like in my case.

I found a 40mm cooler for my NB chipset, so when I get home, I will mount it, and then experiment :)

I was thinking to set the FSB to 360MHz(CPU will be 3.6Ghz) and multiplayer x3 for memory (1080Mhz), if that works stable, i'll keep it :)

I will post my results

Comment

3.6gHz (10x360) with ddr1080 sounds like a good cruise. Make it so.
            Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
            Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
            G.Skill 4x1GB
            PC2-6400-NQ
            840mHz +0.2v
            Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
            Rosewill
            RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Comment

I mounted somehow the 40mm fan on NorthBridge:

NB is 34mmx34mm so its only screwed on 2 places, but it's thight enough
              and it's 5000rpm, and about 20Db so its cool :)

I tried with 360 FSB, and 1080 Mhz for Memory, but did not boot, I tested with few more adjustments, but still couldnt get it to work on 360 Fsb.

Guess that's to much for this MB. So I didnt bother now to test 1 by 1 from 333FSB, which is stable, to 359 :) maybe some other day...

For now it's OK, 3.33 Ghz CPU and 1066Mhz for Memory, with better cooling :)
              Voltage is OK on 1.350, i tried 1.200 to 1275 it's too low, so I returned to 1.350

Well that's that folks :)

Thanx everybody for helping

Comment

Ya, sounds like a very lmited board since those memory multipliers are missing.

You should try using 2.40 then as the 2.5, 3.0 may be to tight of a strap for your FSB

Comment

Working...
                X