GA-EP45-DS3R and 3-pin cpu fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3R and 3-pin cpu fan

I recently bought a GA-EP45-DS3R (bios f9) and have a 3-pin cpu fan. I read that it is possible set some boards via the bios to regulate the fan speed by varying the voltage, but my bios doesn't seem to support this.

Is it planned that newer bios versions will support this feature, or is it not possible with this board?

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and 3-pin cpu fan

It is in your BIOS in the PC health section. Not sure if the use of Easytune and this setting is supported with 3Pin voltage fans though? But, have you seen and tested this with both settings and EasyTune?

CPU Smart FAN Control

Enables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to rundifferent speed according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system requirements. If disabled, CPU fan runs at full speed. (Default: Enabled)

Comment

I am currently running linux and haven't tried easytune yet. The bios setting "CPU Smart Fan Control" has 3 settings: Auto, Disabled and Enabled.

According to CPU fan at full speed on cold days, you could set "CPU Smart Fan Mode" to "Voltage" with some motherboards, but my motherboard doesn't have this option. Will this option be introduced with a later bios, or is it not supported by the hardware and do I have to get a new 4-pin PWM fan?

Comment

Ahh, ya some boards allow that some do not. You would have to ask Gibabyte Tech about that, but I do not think they will add it as it has been asked many times as it was only in some P35 boards as well >>>
        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Please do let us know their response to you

Thanks

Comment

I got this reply:

The CPU Fan Control does not support 3-Pin Fans any more by Intel hardware specs.
          There will be no bios with 3-pin CPU fan control anymore.

Best regards
          GIGABYTE-Team
          So it looks like I'll be hunting for a new fan. Can anyone recommend a quiet 120mm 4-pin fan that can be used with the Noctua NH-U12P Cooler? Can anyone provide a link to some noise tests?

Or should I get a fan controller?

Comment

Working...
          X