Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3R - 4 pin 12v connector into 8 pin 12v MB connection dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R - 4 pin 12v connector into 8 pin 12v MB connection dangerous?

Build is:
    Antec NSK 6580 case with Antec Earthwatts 430 power supply
    GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 motherboard
    Intel Pentium Dual Core Wolfdale E5200 2.5Ghz CPU
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel memory
    2 x WD Caviar 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache HDD running in RAID1
    EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 256MB PCIe graphics card
    Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

I had posted an earlier inquiry on this forum regarding the fact that the Antec power supply had a 4 pin 12v connector and the Gigabyte MB's 12v connection is for a 8 pin. I was assured that, given the usage of the system (internet and light office applications - no gaming or OCing) and the type of CPU I'm using that it should be fine to use the 4 pin PS connector in the 8 pin connection. One of the concerns I had was that I had seen a couple of postings elsewhere about dual channel memory not working when using the 4 pin connector but I had no problems with the G.Skill. I've seen an article on a website that I would like to get some opinions on whether it might be an issue:

"You can plug a 4 pin 12 volt power cable into an 8 pin EPS motherboard connector but there's no guarantee that it will work. If the motherboard expects only one 12 volt rail then a 4 pin 12 volt cable may work. If the motherboard expects two 12 volt rails (many dual CPU motherboards require one 12 volt rail per CPU) then it won't work. Even if the motherboard works with a 4 pin 12 volt cable, you are still only providing half of the current carrying capacity which would be provided by an 8 pin EPS cable. That can overheat both the motherboard connector and 4 pin cable. Scorched or melted connectors can be a result. A motherboard which has the 8 pin EPS connector expects a lot of current and you are taking a serious risk by plugging in a 4 pin cable. The 4 pin cable only fits at one end of the 8 pin EPS motherboard connector so you can't plug it in improperly. That is, it only fits into one end of the motherboard connector unless you force it. If the cable doesn't go into the socket easily then you're probably trying to plug it into the wrong end. But then again, it's not a good idea to try to run with a 4 pin cable in an 8 pin motherboard anyway."

The new build has been up and running for about a week now without any problems (fingers crossed!). Would appreciate anyone with any opinion about the above quote. Quote was taken from here.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R - 4 pin 12v connector into 8 pin 12v MB connection dangerous?

I have no idea what the risk factor really is but why would you risk it at all? You've spent decent money on a decent system .... why cheap out now? A good power supply is probably the most important part of any computer and using one that is not suited for the job at hand is not a good idea. For another $100 or so you could have a real power supply and peace of mind as well.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

of course it will work...the extra 4 pins r necessary for higher power cpus such as the extreme editions.

So in ur case there is nothing to worry abt.
      And no, psu has no effect on RAM.
      Asrock P55-Extreme
      Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
      2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
      ASUS HD5850
      1TB Samsung SATA II
      Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

Right you can use it, but it is best to use 8pin if you can. That can be done easily if you do not have $$ for a new PSU, just buy a adapter

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Right you can use it, but it is best to use 8pin if you can. That can be done easily if you do not have $$ for a new PSU, just buy a adapter
          Thanks to all for replies. Don't think my friend (whom I built this system for) wants to shell more $$$ for a new power supply so the adapter seems the way to go.

It appears there are some options for the types of adapters I can purchase. Would appreciate recommendations on best way to go. These choices are between $4 - $9 + shipping.

It looks like #'s 1 and 2 split 4 pin power supply to an 8 pin adapter while #3, by using 2 Molex connections from power supply, supplies power to all 8 pins independently. Is this correct and would that be the best solution?
          Last edited by highcountryrider; 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM. Reason: added information
          Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Comment

I would grab the last one imaged, especially if he has 2 spare molex connectors. But yes, any of the three would work

Comment

OK then, #3 it is. I'm sure there are available Molex. Both the HDDs are SATA 3.0 running on SATA power connectors as is the Sony DVD/CD RW. Floppy drive has it's own connector so the only Molex I'm using is for the rear case fan.

Thanks for the advice. Next post will probably be advice on slightly OCing. I would hope I could get to 3.0Ghz even using the stock Intel HS/fan. Does that sound realistic?

Comment

Ya, it is not always best to use those, especially with a smaller PSU but that would be the best choice since he cannot afford a upgraded PSU

Ya, I think 3Ghz can be done on the stock fan. Have you tried any overclocking yet, if so what was it to and what was the load temps?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Ya, it is not always best to use those, especially with a smaller PSU but that would be the best choice since he cannot afford a upgraded PSU
                  Could you please clarify? Do you mean it's not always best to use those being adapters in general or specifically the one (#3) I've opted for?
                  Ya, I think 3Ghz can be done on the stock fan. Have you tried any overclocking yet, if so what was it to and what was the load temps?
                  No, this would be my first attempt at overclocking. I'll be spending some time reading the quides on this forum and elsewhere. Do you have an opinion about using the EasyTune 6 utility or should I do it manually through the BIOS?

Comment

I meant adapters for that purpose in general. As it may put strain on the molex pulling power thru that it was not designed to put out. But people use them everyday so you will be fine.

But, A PSU is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT Part of a system, if he can he should get a better new one and not a cheap new one either. That should be the thing you never go cheap on

I use EasyTune only to look at voltages, maybe test a few things here and there with. Do not use the save button on it, only apply. But yes, best to do all real overclocking in the BIOS always

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I'll post again when I'm ready to start the overclocking process and get the necessary information. Appreciate your quick responses and assistance.

Comment

K, Good luck with things until then!

Post back anytime for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X