Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-DS4 SATA RAID win xp blue screens at install

Hi,

I have a new machine with 2 x Seagate 1TB SATA disks attached to the Intel ICH10R SATA ports. I configure the RAID-0 set from RAID set-up (Ctrl-I at POST) and that seems fine. I boot off my XP SP2 CD and use F6 to load the ICH10R drivers from floppy. I got these drivers from the Gigabyte website (used the "pre-install" drivers) and also tried the ones from the drivers CD that came with the motherboard. In both cases, the install gets as far as when it needs to start accessing the hard disks then blue screens. A colleague has the same machine and has tried AHCI installation (not RAID) with the same result. I have flashed in the F4 BIOS with no change to the outcome.

Any clues? Is there some other AHCI driver I should be loading?

Thanks,

Mud

Re: GA-EX58-DS4 SATA RAID win xp blue screens at install

Only thing I can think of is make sure your are using the XP driver and pick the correct controller mode <<Intel(R) ICH10R SATA RAID controller>> on the setup up screen after words. If you have an additional Gigabyte controller also make sure you are not using that driver. Also maybe disconnect any hard drives not being used by RAID. Thats all I can think of. Also I am not sure about using 1TB HD's. Might want to check specs for RAID controller and Windows. I have 2 400Gb on my RAID. But I don't see that being a problem.

Good Luck.

Comment

Do you have the drives plugged into Port 0 and 1 on the Intel controller?

Try the F5

Try the driver straight from Intel, it is what I always use >>>

Version 8.6.0.1007

x64
      Software License Agreement

x86
      Software License Agreement

Be sure when you choose the driver, after loading it, that you pick the correct one to install. That would be the one named this >>>
      Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
      You have the correct settings right? >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) .............RAID
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

If you have IDE devices >>>
      Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
      Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Did you remove the jumper on the drives if they had any? If not please do so.

If you are using a SATA CD/DVD player be sure you plug it into the last plug on the Intel Controller or put it on the Gigabyte controller

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed and specific help. The problem was that I had the Gigabyte SATA ports (to which my CD drive is attached) set to AHCI not IDE.

I am now past the blue screen issue and can partition and format the RAID set fine. Unfortunately I am now stuck on another step. I have the Intel drivers on a floppy disk and using the F6 method select the driver as per your post and the manual. The drivers then seem to load fine from the floppy. The setup then proceeds past formatting and up to "inspecting your disks" then *again* asks for a floppy with the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver". I hit enter, because that's the driver that is already on the floppy, but nothing happens. The machine is not locked up, because I can F3 to exit, but it doesn't seem to be even trying to read the floppy. I am using a USB floppy drive, don't know if that's an issue. Why is it asking for the driver a second time?

Thanks again,

Mud.

Comment

Ahh, Great to hear ya got it working!

Yes, you cannot use a USB Floppy drive, so that IS the issue. It MUST be a normal Floppy drive using the FDD Cable

You will need to borrow one or look in your basement for a old PC with one. Brand new ones are $8-10 and can be a lifesaver if your BIOS Bootblock corrupts, I wont build a system without one.

Comment

Working...
          X