Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bios flash on new build before installing OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios flash on new build before installing OS?

So I'm planning on building my new PC on Monday night.

Should I flash the bios on my new mobo prior to installing my WinXP slipstream - or after the OS is installed?

The main items are:
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0x16

Thanks.

Re: Bios flash on new build before installing OS?

Doesnt matter, although I like to always make sure my settings or Optimized defaults are stable before i flash, so that would mean running memtest from a bootable disk overnight to see if its stable then flash
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Doesn't matter, you can flash with a OS installed or not, even with no hard drive installed if you like.

For best results if you do not have time to do some full testing would be to install only one stick of ram then load optimized defaults and set your ram voltage ONLY and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and enter Qflash then do your update

Comment

I personally subscribe to the "don't fix what's not broke" method of updating the BIOS. After twenty-plus years of experience as a hardware tech, and learning it the hard way, I would advise against updating the BIOS unless the update includes a fix for something you are having problems with. There are too many posts here concerning turning their MoBo's into bricks after an unsuccessful BIOS update that was totally unnecessary; please don't be one of them! ;)

Bill

Comment

Working...
        X