EP45-UD3R overclock help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R overclock help

Hey guys, i recently put together my first built, and have started to overclock my system. Have a Q6600 and G.skill 4gigs (2x2) 800mhz ram. [Link below]. Arctic freezer 7 pro. run 36 idle. 55 full load. Stable at current overclock at 3.0 Ghz with Prime95 after 8 hours.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Re: EP45-UD3R overclock help

shabburrr-

Happy New Year first of all. Secondly, I have a very similar system I just recently purchased, q6600, same motherboard, same cooler, 800mhz ram (although Viper), so I may be able to help you out.

I have mine running at 400x8, 3.2ghz and it can run multiple iterations of Intel Burntest fine, getting to 58C at its highest per core. However, I noticed that the main difference in my settings was my vcore is at 1.3125 I believe. My cpu read on the actual box I got 1.35, but I apparently don't need that high. CPU-Z shows it as 1.28-1.296 while running the test.

Also, and maybe more importantly I had to up my vdimm voltage to 1.9 to stop from getting errors. Although I have it higher now as I'm settling it into the right settings. I would up your vcore and vdimm and try again.

cheers,

Tellerve

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion tellerve but i got the same response, an error within the first few seconds. One thing though Tellerve, you said you have a system very similar to mine, ie: Same motherboard, cpu, cooler, etc. Isnt it just kickass?! =D. Im seriously loving my system.

I started upping the vcore notch by notch. Went up to 1.27500v and now it took about 30-45 seconds for prime95 to get an error. Should i just keep upping the vcore, my temps have gone from 36 degrees idle to 40 degrees idle. If my system is doing 3 ghz (375 x 8) with vcore at 1.2500v stable for 8 hours with prime95, do i really need to up the vcore more than just a few notches?....I was under the impression that you increase vcore really slowly, but hey im still learning. So if im wrong, please correct me. Once again, thanks guys.

Comment

Well, yeah, I think normally you try and be scientific and go up slowly, but you could jump a bit and try and work down as opposed to up. Either way really I guess, and also try not to change more than one thing at a time as that introduces more variables.

Yeah, I do really like this board, although I had a heck of a time getting it to install onto raided hard drives. I finally had to slipstream the raid drivers as they just wouldn't work for me for some odd reason.

Beyond that I'm enjoying it, as I have managed to make a really silent pc with some power. Although I am still in testing/tweaking and haven't really showed off the power.

I tried to get 3.6ghz earlier tonight and while running prime it bsod and screwed up the raid array so I had to re-install. Lovely! Now I'm back at the mild 3.2ghz which went through 10 iterations of Intel Burntest so I'm pretty confident in it.

Tellerve

Comment

Try this Shabburrr for 3.2 >>>

Please do load optimized defaults if you have not before. Then set your ram voltage ONLY and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will have to set your SATA/Disk settings again before you try to load windows. Then reboot back to the BIOS again to make your overclock changes

Code:
          [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
          Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
          CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
          Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
          CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.208

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
          [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
          CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 401Mhz
          [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
          CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
          PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
          CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
          MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
          [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
          (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
          System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B or 2.00D
          Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 802Mhz
          DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
          CAS Latency Time........................5
          tRCD .........................................5
          tRP'...........................................5
          tRAS..........................................15

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
          tRRD...........................................3-4
          tWTR..........................................3-6
          tWR............................................4-6
          tRFC...........................................52-62
          tRTP...........................................3-5
          Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
          Driving Strength ............................800-1066 (Test both last)

[b]Channel A[/b]
          Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
           tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
           tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
           tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
          Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
           tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
          tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
           tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
           tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
          Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
          Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
          Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
          Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
          Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
          Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
          Voltage Type.………... Manual
          Load line Callibration.....................[disabled] << Enabled or More Vcore, what you set is not what you get in windows.

[b]CPU[/b]
          CPU Vcore….……….........................: See above, you may need 1.35-1.4 Actual depending on your CPU for 3.2, likely not so high but very likely more then 1.25 for sure

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.2-1.4
          CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.5-1.6

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
          MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 (1.22-1.26 likely good)
          MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
          MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
          ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.5-1.6
          ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.1x-1.2

[b]DRAM[/b]
          DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.9V
          DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
          Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
          Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
          Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
          Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Why the 401mhz instead of 400? Is there some secret voodoo magic to that :)

Tellerve

Comment

There must be some secret voodoo magic with the settings lsdmeasap gave me. =D. I followed pretty much all of his setting suggestions except for the static tread values and driving strength, because i've never read up on that and what it does and for my vcore, I went slowly up and so far its at 1.2825v. So far no errors with prime95 for 3 hours so far, I'll leave it on for another 4 or 5 hours and then declare it stable.

As for my bios, i have no extreme memory profile (X.M.P) option....so i dont know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

My temps are 40 idle, 60-62 full load. I read on a random forum somewhere that coretemp overcalculates temperatures for Q6600 by 5 degrees because the Tjmax for Q6600 is 95 not 100. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is that means im 35 idle. and 55-57 full load. Im going with the higher temps for now to be on the safe side.

Once again, thanks lsdmeasap. =D. Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?

Comment

You can change the Tjmax in the settings on coretemp

Originally posted by shabburrr View Post
                Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?
                Yes it makes a large difference, its best to run prime on the low setting also to make sure that is stable, then you should be fine.
                New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Originally posted by Tellerve View Post
                  Why the 401mhz instead of 400? Is there some secret voodoo magic to that :)

Tellerve

Yeap, all VooDoo!

Na, just because 400 is right on the strap line and Could cause instabilities without the user even thinking that is the cause which could end up making you spend hours trying to much voltage or too loose of timings for no reasons. Best I think to always use 399 or 401

But yes, you can use 400 exact if you wish

Originally posted by shabburrr View Post
                  As for my bios, i have no extreme memory profile (X.M.P) option....so i dont know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

My temps are 40 idle, 60-62 full load. I read on a random forum somewhere that coretemp overcalculates temperatures for Q6600 by 5 degrees because the Tjmax for Q6600 is 95 not 100. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is that means im 35 idle. and 55-57 full load. Im going with the higher temps for now to be on the safe side.

Once again, thanks lsdmeasap. =D. Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?

XMP is Memory specific, since you do not see it all that means is your Memory was not programmed with those settings. Nothing to worry about

TjMax for Q6600 is 90C >>>

But in Reality the setting does not matter, only cosmetically for what you see as "Said Temp".

See this as to how that is. What temp you really have to actually worry about is Distance to TjMax >>>

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 90
                  Core Temp Reading = 50
                  Delta to TJ Max = 40

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 95
                  Core Temp Reading = 55
                  Delta to TJ max = 40

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 100
                  Core Temp Reading = 60
                  Delta to TJ Max = 40

See this page for a image of this in action, calibrated vs non calibrated showing same Distance to TjMax >>>

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - E8400 Real Temp Calibration

About EIST and C1E, you can try but it may fail on you. When overclocked voltages and freq are very dependent on what you tweaked/tested/tweaked them to be finally stable at and once you enable those features your settings will affect how the system acts at idle and may be unstable at idle or when jumping back and forth between idle and load.

Comment

The temp reading that is the most important then would be the distance to Tjmax, which in this case would remain constant. I guess the reason i was asking because i personally didnt want to get to close to Intel's coretemp suggestion of 71 degrees. I have run into one problem with my overclock. Its stable but i cannot put the computer to sleep (Vista Style) which is basically i guess described as hybernate on previous OS's, where all the fans turn off and basically it seems as if the entire PC is off but at the press of a button it jumps back to life and everything resumes.

It will go to sleep but if i press the on button to bring it back from its hybernation state it will turn on for a second or two and then keep restarting but nothing will appear on screen (Kinda like when you overclock incorrectly and it continually boots). I have to eventually hold down the power button and turn it off and then turn it back on.

I dont know why it is doing this. At the 3.0 Overclock i had, it would go to hybernate and back on perfectly fine, but at 3.2 it just refuses to come back. For now i disabled the automatic Vista option of putting the computer to hybernation after an hour of inactivity, but i was hoping that there was maybe a way to fix this, seeing as my computer is IDLE most of the time anyway and it would be nice to let it relax. BTW i did try doing this C1E and CIEST disabled because of how lsdmeasap mentioned that sometimes C1E and CIEST can provide instablity to a system.

Comment

shabburr-

That is exactly what is happening with me and my 3.2ghz overclock! Hopefully we can figure it out as I would also like to be able to have my computer go into hibernation as I think it is a nice feature. I'm also wondering if I should stop trying to get 3.6ghz so much as my 3.2ghz is seemingly, except for the hibernation thing, stable. I was wondering last night if my old Antec Truepower 430watt psu was perhaps not good enough for the overclock but not sure that is really the case.

It's just a shame I can undervolt my processor and get 3.2ghz but I have to jam it to get 3.6ghz. Those are the breaks I guess.

But back to what you mentioned, I read on another thread that disabling USB Legacy support in bios helps. I'm going to try that out and see if that helps out anything.

Tellerve

Comment

Sounds like your 3.2 overclock is not as stable as you think it is then if your 3.0 overclock works for S3 but 3.2 does not. How long and with what have you tested it?

Yeap, legacy USB Storage Detect can fix many random errors that is why it is set to disabled in all the templates you see me post

Comment

Actually I never really tried a 3.0ghz setting as 3.2ghz came out of the box so easily at first, I just set there and tried higher ones.

I might try that, but also I've since having a 3.2ghz overclock that could run 10 intel burntest cycles, tweaked it with memory timings you've mentioned and voltages for pll and termination that I read needed to be set manually. I also switched out my ram to one stick and tried to see if that would fix my hibernation problems. It didn't, though, but perhaps even though the ram is seated as perfectly as I can tell it isn't. Ahhh computers.

Tellerve

Comment

You should get stock stable, before any overclocking is done.

Ram not seated right? What do you mean?

You may need to adjust your MCH Ref to get it stable, just so many things it could be really. Try .68% - .73%, as for how this is possible you will need to take in this knowledge >>>

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)
                            CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20)
                            MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                            DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                            Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
                            Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

If you want a higher or lower than stock % / Value for any of the above settings you will find it easier to set the Dram Voltage or Vtt back to stock (Or above or below to find and be able to choose alternate % Values), then adjust desired setting to the % / Value you wish to use.

Then once you have selected a % range you want to use for said setting then go back and raise your Vtt or Dram Voltage back to what you choose to use and the corresponding settings will self adjust

Comment

The 3.2ghz can run intel burntest for 10 iterations. That is stable enough for me in terms of workload on the cpu. The hibernation issue isn't an overclocking issue, but something else. On Asus's site for my 3450 they have a bios saying it fixes the s3 in vista, which would be what I am having problems with, however, I download that file, several times, and it never works when I try and execute it.

The ram thing was me more just speculating, but it is properly seated.

I'm a tad confused though about the .68% and such, which I assume you really mean 68% and not really .68% as that would be essentially no voltage at all.

I don't have a CPU Reference Voltage 2 in my bios, just the single CPU Reference voltage.

Tellerve

Comment

Working...
                              X