• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R & Vista installing very SLOW

Hi,

GA-EP45-UD3R
    Q6600
    4 (2 x 2GB) OCZ memory

I just put this system together and trying to install Vista but it takes FOREVER. Even with my AMD XP 2100+, it never took fraction of the time.

I read that the BIOS settings could affect this and even the floppy setting could affect this.

I have and IDE DVD RW at 16x and 1 TB SATA II hard drive. No floppy. I have the IDE DVD RW connected to the IDE port in the motherboard and the SATA II hard drive connected to the SATA_2_0 port on the motherboard.

Attached is the settings I have in the standard CMOS and Integrated peripherals pages of the BIOS.

Can someone please shed some light on why the install of Windows Vista is extremely slow?

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R & Vista installing very SLOW

In second BIOS screen, enable SATA port 0-3 native mode.

Comment

Ya Vista should only take you 10-15 minutes to be installed and to your desktop depending on your overclock and if you are installing 32 or 64. I think my last install of 64 took about 12 minutes

Do leave Floppy enabled and set as first boot device as it may save your board later if you have BootBlock corruption issues with your BIOS. Do install and keep one installed as well if you have one, they can be a lifesaver!!

Please connect your OS Hard drive to the First (0) yellow SATA Port.

Here would be the settings you would want to set for the Intel/Yellow Controller for NON Raid/AHCI >>>

Integrated Peripherals
      SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

These need to be set as follows for your IDE Drive to work properly
      Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
      Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Your overall install may be slow due to incorrect settings in the MIT Section, even if you are at stock you should set some things for 4GB of ram. You should of course check to be sure your ram is running at stock or better speeds. Then put performance enhance on standard for now and set your ram voltage, and set MCH voltage to 1.2.1-24

Comment

I've tried multiple settings in the BIOS and the only time I notice a significant difference is when I set the

'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to [RAID/IDE]

All other settings takes very long time and with this setting I notice a big difference.

Does it make sense?

Comment

No that doesn't make sense. IDE is IDE. The RAID function is for the two purple SATA ports. I do have an BenQ IDE DVD-RW that works fine on my UD3R but wasn't even detected on a Biostar I45. That is until I set the drive's jumper to slave. But it needs to be jumpered as master on the UD3R. Another simple yet often overlooked solution is replacing the IDE cable. I'd try that first.

Comment

Originally posted by tgdsilva View Post
            I've tried multiple settings in the BIOS and the only time I notice a significant difference is when I set the 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to [RAID/IDE]...
            Interesting... I've had the same issue with a GA-EP45-UD3P with a Plextor PATA DVD burner connected to the IDE port. The only way I can get good read speed is to set it to RAID/IDE. I've also found that it does a better job of reading CDs when I choose CDROM as first boot item in BIOS.

Go figure...

Comment

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am having these same problems. I built this pc about 9 months ago.
              q6600
              GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 bios version 5
              2x4 gig ocz platinum
              2 sata samsung dvd rw's
              I dont have any ide components on this pc.
              I have tried with and without the floppy
              I had the cpu/ram oc at one time. But slow install before and after oc.

I have tried all of the suggestions posted above.
              I have tried multiple hdd. sata 80 gig seagate
              1tb sata seagate
              Raid with 2 80 gig's

Different video cards.
              8800 gts (one vga one dvi)
              gtx 260 (dual dvi) Some people say that if you get a black screen it is because win 7 reverts to vga out.That is why i am specifying.
              diffferent psu's.

I have tried xp 32,64 (both install in 45 min)
              vista 32,64(both install in 45 min)
              win 7,64 (wont install, stuck on black screen)

All three os take about 45 min.
              It takes 5+ min before you can get to a set up screen for windows.
              The install will sit idle for 5-10 min before posting the next step to do.
              Win 7 gets stuck after reboot on a black screen where it should say finalizing.

All of these programs install on my old socket 939 amd with any of these hdd or video cards. Each os install takes about 15-20 min max.
              I can then put the hdd into this newer pc and they work and i can install drivers etc.

Thanks for your help and advice.
              Do i need to make a new post?
              Did tgdsilva ever get this figured out?
              Last edited by micro5797; 10-17-2009, 04:42 PM. Reason: Added bios version
              GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 2600k @ 4.0
              16 gig Corsair Vengeance
              Evga gtx 260 216, samsung 2253lw"
              Baracuda 7,200.12 Cooler Master 212 +
              Win 7 64, fsp fx700-gln, Razer DA,G15

Comment

I would try to update your bios (F11 beta I think) and or chipset drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
                  I would try to update your bios (F11 beta I think) and or chipset drivers.
                  I have considered updating my bios. I was hoping to find someone who had the problem and had fixed it. I have updated bios a few times, but one time i did fry them and i cant afford to have my pc down atm.Looking through the bios update i didnt see anything that would help this problem.
                  GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1)

I dont understand how updating the chipset drivers would help as that is installed after windows.

Thank you for your help.
                  16 gig Corsair Vengeance

Comment

To me the only thing that helped was like I said in my previous post:

'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to [RAID/IDE]

I had tried several settings but this is the one that I was satisfied with.

Comment

If you do not have a floppy connected, also disable this setting as well an or remove it from the boot order 1/2/3 menus. This can cause Vista install to take a LONG time to move through the menus during install, and if you do have one please enable it and connect the cable, otherwise remove the cable fully from the board.

Cleanly burned DVD's can help as well, I have an older one that takes forever no matter what and new ones install in 12-15 minutes.

Native Mode Enabled helps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        If you do not have a floppy connected, also disable this setting as well an or remove it from the boot order 1/2/3 menus. This can cause Vista install to take a LONG time to move through the menus during install, and if you do have one please enable it and connect the cable, otherwise remove the cable fully from the board.

Cleanly burned DVD's can help as well, I have an older one that takes forever no matter what and new ones install in 12-15 minutes.

Native Mode Enabled helps as well.

I have tried to install windows with the floppy installed and in boot and with the floppy removed from the computer and boot.(including the cable)

I normally only have boot from cd enabled and the rest disabled.
                        I also have/had a fresh copy of my windows os.

I have not tried "native mode". I will have to find that option in the bios and see where it is set the next time i install windows, Thanks for the help.
                        16 gig Corsair Vengeance

Comment

Working...
                        X