Watercooling GA-EP45-DQ6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling GA-EP45-DQ6?

My DQ6 is on it's way and from what I've heard the NB gets rather hot when the system is OC'ed.

Has anyone watercooled this board and if so:

- Which waterblock(s) did you use?
    - What did you do about cooling the mosfets, SB and whatever else the stock cooling system covers?

I would prefer to watercool my board, but would also prefer *NOT* to mess up the original cooling system as I've seen some do, in case I need to return the board for RMA or sell it.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
    Intel Q9650 3,0@4,41 GHz (490x9)
    Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 4x2 GB
    Club3D 4870x2
    Corsair HX1000
    3x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 16MB Raid0
    Hitachi Deskstar 320GB
    Swiftech 655
    Swiftech GTZ (CPU)
    XSPC X20 Delta (NB)
    Ek 150ml res
    TFC 480 w/8x YateLoons DL12 in push/pull @1000RPM
    MasterKleer 11.1mm ID tubing
    HP LP2475w 24" + ViewSonic VX922 19"
    Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Re: Watercooling GA-EP45-DQ6?

I have a P45-DS4P, so same NB chip and heatpipe and mine is fine. Normally 34-38C at 4GHZ, 37-40 at load

As for what to suggest to you for parts to watercool that I am not sure? Sorry, I do water myself but only on my CPU

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      I have a P45-DS4P, so same NB chip and heatpipe and mine is fine. Normally 34-38C at 4GHZ, 37-40 at load

As for what to suggest to you for parts to watercool that I am not sure? Sorry, I do water myself but only on my CPU
      I assume the temps you describe are the NB?

If so - how do you measure those?
      Is there an onboard temp sensor that you use or are those reading from an IR thermometer?
      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
      Club3D 4870x2
      Corsair HX1000
      Hitachi Deskstar 320GB
      Swiftech 655
      Swiftech GTZ (CPU)
      XSPC X20 Delta (NB)
      Ek 150ml res
      Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Comment

Yes NB. I assume they are not exact as the board does not have a actual NB Sensor, but it is located right beside it. Easytune and Everest show this value as System or Motherboard. When I hold the heatsink it feels to be correct though, as I have had very hot ones (965P) and the same sensor showed very high temps as opposed to these boards we are talking now.

Not exact anything for sure, sorry!

have heard a few user put sensors on them and found them to run cool as well though.

Wish I had a IR, if you can get or have one please do let me know the variance between what you find and the mentioned software values for that sensor

Comment

Yes NB. I assume they are not exact as the board does not have a actual NB Sensor, but it is located right beside it. Easytune and Everest show this value as System or Motherboard. When I hold the heatsink it feels to be correct though, as I have had very hot ones (965P) and the same sensor showed very high temps as opposed to these boards we are talking now.

have heard a few user put sensors on them and found them to run cool as well though.

Wish I had a IR, if you can get or have one please do let me know the variance between what you find and the mentioned software values for that sensor
          Ok - I will try with the stock NB cooler when the board arrives and see how it goes.

Just out of interest - do you know if it's possible to fit any 3rd party air coolers on the mosfets, SB and whatever else that's cooled by the stock cooler?

I've looked on Thermalright's site and the DQ6 is *not* on their compatibility list for their mosfet coolers.
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
          Club3D 4870x2
          Corsair HX1000
          Hitachi Deskstar 320GB
          Swiftech 655
          Swiftech GTZ (CPU)
          XSPC X20 Delta (NB)
          Ek 150ml res
          Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Comment

Ya, I am not sure about that either. I do know you would need to pull the heatpipe apart for sure to cool those all seperately.

If I was to WC the NB and thus have no cooling on the Mosfets/SB I would use this for Mosfets and this for SB >>>>

Mos >>
            Enzotech MOS-C1 Forged Copper Mosfet Heatsinks

SB >>>
            Enzotech CNB-S1L Low Profile Forged Copper Northbridge Heatsink

Or
            Enzotech SLF-1 Low Profile Copper Chipset Cooler

Comment

So, I've been playing with this board for a while now and I'm prime stable (blend) at 4.4 GHz (490x9). I was hoping for at least 4.5 GHz, but any higher than I am now, I have to use too high voltages for my taste and as I'm already above the "recommended" limits I'll stay where I am :-/

About the temps on the NB: I'm pumping 1.5-1.6V through mine and at full load (prime/OCCT) I can measure the temps at the bottom of the NB cooler (near the mobo) to around 60-65C. This is without any air cooling directly above the NB cooler. My "system" temp in ET6 was 44-46C, so I doubt they relate to the NB.

With a 200mm fan above the NB and mosfets coolers I get temps at the same spot at around 42-47C.
              Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
              Club3D 4870x2
              Corsair HX1000
              Hitachi Deskstar 320GB
              Swiftech 655
              Swiftech GTZ (CPU)
              XSPC X20 Delta (NB)
              Ek 150ml res
              Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

Comment

Hmm, I wonder where that sensor is then!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Working...
                X