Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP43-DS3L lockups

Hello
    I am having a bad time with my new motherboard, which I bough 3 days ago.
    I formated the computer and installed Windows XP 32 SP3 again, clean install and then tried to install GTA 4, and got a lockup, having to do a force rebot.
    It happens with it's installation too, but I managed to get other programs running, like daemon tools and everest.
    I fumbled around the forums a little and some guys said the energy saver thing was the problem, so I reinstalled windows and didn't install the program, with no sucess.
    My previous computer worked flawlessly with every single program and game I had, but now I have this annoying issue.

My specs are:

E4300 @ 2.4
    2 GB 667 stock ram
    BFG GeForce 9800GTX
    Seventeam 750W PSU

edit: I did something curious now: I uninstalled SP3 (back to SP2) and every game worked as a charm, but I would like to run GTA 4 too, and it requires SP3!
    Last edited by Hellerzin; 12-26-2008, 07:14 AM.

Re: EP43-DS3L lockups

Did you install the chipset drivers? And all windows updates before SP3?

Comment

I installed all the drivers from the Motherboard DvD but the energy saving program.
      I have an old Windows XP SP2 CD, that I can switch between SP2 and SP3; and one Windows XP SP3 CD. Switching from SP2 to SP3, or installing Windows with SP3 ready, both causes the lockup issue.
      And with some tests I figured taht every single game I install causes the issue in SP3.
      I tried flashing the bios, with no sucess too.
      Hope this helps = )
      Last edited by Hellerzin; 12-30-2008, 05:20 AM.

Comment

What BIOS are you using? See here for how to safely flash, you should not be having failures updating your BIOS >>

Do you have PEG Set for Init First Display in the BIOS? Have you tried adding ICH Core Voltage to be sure voltage to your SB is not a issue? Set 1.14-1.2

You are using the latest Nvidia drivers from their site not on the CD that came with the card right? If not, go here and get the latest >>>
        Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Comment

I'm using the bios that's available in this forum, GA-EP43-DS3L - F9a
          Um, I don't know how to check what you mentioned about the PEG Set or ICH Core, could you explain in a , you know, more newbie instruction?

I've got Nvidia 180.84 driver, December 10th /2008 release

Comment

In the BIOS you need to look for Init First Display and set it to PEG.

Comment

Ya, there is a setting in advanced BIOS options page called "Init First Disply" set that to PEG

ICH Core voltage is in the MIT Section of the BIOS, simply set it to 1.2 and see if that helps any.

Just so you know Beta BIOS's often have issues, maybe this is one of them? Have you tried the latest NON Beta BIOS?

Comment

Guys I think the PEG thing worked out, but I'm going to test it properly and will edit this post with the results in 20 minutes

Comment

Goodluck!

Comment

I found the solution: I changed the Init First Display to PEG and installed an older driver for the graphics card.
                    Weird, but it worked, thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Nice to see you got it up and running! Ya, often times especially with GFX drivers newer is not always better. I always stay a few versions behind to watch for new version issues before I update

Comment

Working...
                      X