Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3 - E8400 Overclocking.

Hey guys,

I Just bought this new motherboard and i would like to overclock my cpu. I had some previous experience with overclocking but its been a while and i kinda forgot stuff :). I know how to change voltages and raise the fsb but i would like to know the right numbers for the voltages to manage to clock my 3 ghz cpu up to 4 ghz if its possible.

Pc specs :

CPU : e8400 ( cooler Asus silent knight 2 )
    Motherboard : EP45-DS3
    Ram : Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    PSU : Antec 850 watt
    Gfx card : Nvidia 9800 Gtx ( BFG )

Thanks for reading my wall of text :)

Re: EP45-DS3 - E8400 Overclocking.

no one able to help me =/

Comment

still no help :( oh well ill just give up on this thanks anw..

Comment

Same chip and board. I'm running a 1:1 (400mhz strap and 2.00d multiplier) at 5-5-5-15 at 8.5 X 471 for 4ghz. And again, whilst the time says 5hrs 45 mins, that test actually ran about 8 hours before I turned it off.

Not sure what else I can say to help... no need to go more than 1.36 on mch vcore and keep your eye on the real vcore after drop instead of simply whats entered in the bios. My real vcore is 1.42

Not really sure what kind of help you need since you're not being specific though. Check out oc forums for more info, guides, and knowledge about how to work with the board.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, :)

Well i was just asking for what settings i should use to clock my cpu to 4 ghz because i am afraid to go and put everything on my own dont know what changes i should made. But now i can try with your voltages and see how it works :)
          Thanks again,

Comment

don't be afraid. its much much harder to hurt things than you think.

you don't want to be more than 1.45 real vcore (that is reported by cpuz or easy tune during operation)
            you don't need more than 1.36 mch vcore, though 1.4 won't hurt anything.
            ram timings are the biggest issue with this board really. Investing in pc 8500 ram over pc6400 ram seems to make a huge difference.
            basically i recommend you use both easy tune and the bios to overclock. once you've found something in easy tune that works simply translate it into the bios: be warned though mch ref, cpu ref, and dram refs are all a bit tricky to translate from easy tune to the bios. the easy tune reading is NOT what the bios reads. there's a thread on oc forums concerning this.

other than that work slowly and keep good records.

Comment

I've got an GA-X48-DQ6 with an e8500 at 3.8ghz, but on really hot days playing farcry2 it can overheat (80 degrees C) with the stock cooler. (I am obviously not in an air-conditioned office and am going to get a Thermalright Extreme 120 cooler soon.)

I don't use easy tune at all. I use the bios.

I hope you write up your experience/results because I just bought my son a EP45-DS3 / e7300 / Galaxy 9800GTX+ and I'll probably overclock it.
              Last edited by Salty; 12-27-2008, 01:11 AM. Reason: slow thinker

CPU
              =
              i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
              Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
              - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
              Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
              , BIOS Version = Award FC
              Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
              Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
              Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
              PSU = Corsair HX850
              OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Hey, i did manage to overclock it to 4 ghz as you can see in the screenshot. You can see on right side of the desktop i had orthos up for 9 hours with no errors so i think its stable, on the left side i run it for 10 mins just so that you could see the temps, because i forgot to take a screenshot before. I also painted black some stuff in the screenshot which i didnt want to everyone on the forums to see.
                :):)
                http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9...erclockto9.jpg ( i failed to " insert image")
                Last edited by Linel; 12-27-2008, 03:13 AM.

Comment

What about your memory settings? Done anything there?

CPU
                  =
                  PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

Yeap 12 % overclock :)

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: memdg6.jpg

Comment

Hmmmm. I would have thought you could tighten up the ram timings a bit, like 5-5-5-5-15, and maybe bring "performance level" (Static tRead) down to 8 or maybe even 7? Depends how far you want to go. LSD4Me helped me a lot with ram timings and we got my latency down from 73ns to a reliable 60ns testing with Everest. Others get to 55ns, but mine wouldn't do that. http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...92/index9.html

I noticed the stock ram timings were pretty loose on my son's EP45-DS3 mobo too.
                      Last edited by Salty; 12-27-2008, 04:54 AM.

CPU
                      =
                      PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

Nice. I'm pleased my settings worked out for you.

Don't sweat the ram timings. Sure they could be tighter and feel free to try and adjust them, but in terms of realworld performance there is no noticeable difference.

Comment

nah i wont change anything on the ram as i am happy with the overclock and everything is stable maybe when i will get bored or something i might consider overclocking more :)

And thanks ALOT for the help sunburn :):)

Hmm i think i could try overclocking my gfx card ^^ :):)
                          Last edited by Linel; 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X