Crossflashing GA-X38-DS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossflashing GA-X38-DS4

Hi, I'm new to this place :) I see many Gigabyte-guru here which is nice :)
    I've got one question - is it possible to cross flash X38-ds4 with EX38-ds4, or maybe X38-ds6?

Cheers
    Bras

Re: Crossflashing GA-X38-DS4

NOt advised for sure. And I would say no really. X38 was made way before EX38, so it would likely brick your board

Now P35 rev 2.1 boards can be flashed with EP35 BIOS's as they were made at the same times, but that again is not advised either

DS4 to DQ6 would likely for sure brick it, but I have not heard of anyone doing this.

All up to you, but I cannot advise any of what you asked. Nor have I seen it done.

If you do do it, post back with some screenshots of CPU-z Mainboard tab and let us know how it goes!!!

I'd Like to see a DS4 to DQ6 flash result myself, but I wouldn't risk it

*EDIT*

Found you a user who says he flashes DS4's with DQ6 BIOS's, but I wouldn't see why anyone would as all the quad BIOS settings would be useless >>>
    :banana: F3C BIOS for Giga 965P-S3 http://rapidshare.de/files/27991966/965PS3.F3C.html :toast: F4C BIOS for Giga 965P-DS3 http://rapidshare.de/files/27992161/965PDS3.F4C.html :woot: F3B BIOS for Giga 965P-DS4 http://rapidshare.de/files/27992357/965PDS4.F3B.html
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-15-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for reply. Thought the same, EX38 is with that energysaving stuff, so has to be different. Wonder if the dual bios which works fine will work in this case. There is always an option to boot rescue bios from external drive(?) as available in F4E bios...

Comment

Dual BIOS is always a risk, so dont "Count" on it or anything. You can always Blind flash if you have a floppy installed BEFORE and set as first boot device.

If you are not using AHCI or RAID then no matter what you set you will already have two BIOS backup sources that the board will check if something goes wrong. The BIOS backup chip of course, and then if you are not using the above mentioned one of the times you flashed (If you have) a older Backup BIOS will also be put into the HPA section of your Hard drive that you cannot access or see

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          a older Backup BIOS will also be put into the HPA section of your Hard drive that you cannot access or see
          Good to know, wondered how it works. If it's done automatically that's great.
          Thanks for reply, I will do it as soon as I'll have money for another board ;) Won't forget to write here.

Greetings

Comment

Ya, do let us know how you get along with this.

Why did you want to do it anyway?

Comment

Working...
            X