Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte-GA-EP45-DSR3 ... Problem!

Hey all,

I'm currently having the worst run of luck with computers, (possibly in the history of man) at the moment and this is the iceing on the cake.

I won't go into detail about my last 3 weeks in PC HELL , but i'll get straight to the problem at hand.

I just bought a Gigabyte-GA-EP45-DSR3 Motherboard and 4 gig of HyperX Kingston DDR2 - 1066 Mhz. Got home and read the Manual which states the board supports Intel Pentium-dual core Proccessors in the LGA package.

Then i started rebuilding my PC (giggling like a school girl along the way) with everything installed and double checked i power on the system, but it won't POST and just starts up for 3 second intervals and shuts off again ... this goes on indefenetly.

After wiping a tear from my eye, i re-seated the Ram, tried different Modules in different Dimm's ...checked for shorts,bad connections but everything was perfect and still no luck.

I then went to Gigabyte's website and checked the CPU suppport list, low and behold my Pentium 4 - 3.4GHZ LGA 775 550j was not supported !!

Initially i thought they just haven't tested this CPU yet, but it seems my processor is not compatible with VRD11.1 power phase ( or is it ?) since it was on the support list in the Manual i'm a little confused.

So could this be the reason for the Boot cycling i am experiencing or maybe there is something else at play here ?

I don't have the money for a new CPU atm, any advice as to what i should do from here ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Re: Gigabyte-GA-EP45-DSR3 ... Problem!

Sadly.............

Nope, your CPU is not supported at all >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

It is not on the support list in the manual, at least it should not be

You are going to have to Ask for a Cheap Newer CPU for Christmas or just save and get you one.

You can use some of the cheaper celerons or Pentium Dual cores if you cannot afford or get a Core 2 Duo. Some of those are only around $40-50 if you shop at the right place. If you need help finding a cheap CPU let me know your range and I will find you a compatible one

Comment

Damn, not only did i pick a Motherboard that isen't compatible ... i also picked one with ATI Crossfire .. ouch !!

Looks like i'll be stuck on this rig for a while then, thanks for the reply dude.

Comment

Yeap, you can use a Nvidia card if you want, just not in SLI mode.

Good luck with getting a CPU, like I said if you need some cheap pointers to get up and running let me know

Or you could always RMA if it has been under 30 days, most places will charge a 15% restock fee though

Comment

Working...
        X