GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

Hi, I've put a GA-EX58-UD5 kit together and it won't even POST. It just starts up for about 1 second, with lights and fans, then powers off. However, this just loops about every 5 seconds. I've run outside the case on wood, plus it was on the risers in the case. Tried 1, 2, 3 sticks in the white slots moving away from the CPU. Also does the same without any memory fitted. Can it usually boot and tell you there's no RAM without sticks? Tried clear CMOS button. Tried re-seating the CPU. Both ATX power connectors are fitted to the board.

Any ideas? Really need this running now. Need to send the motherboard back?

spec is:

GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 920 (retail boxed)
    G-Skill 3x1GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-2800C9
    Corsair TX750 PSU

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

check the PSU voltage. Remember to fill in the white banks before the blue on the board.

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I've now tried with two different brand PSUs, same thing happens. Yes, I've tried one, two or three sticks in the white banks, starting from the slot near the CPU, moving across. Also tried no memory at all. Sadly, the same result, just loops power on every few seconds. "Mr-Kaizer" also has the same problem. Sounds like it needs to be returned to me.

Comment

Are you sure that ram will start at 1.5V? If it will not then that may be the issue

Comment

The RAM is G.Skill 3GB DDR3 NQ PC3-12800C9 1600MHz (3x1GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ) spec'ed as 1.5v-1.6v. I'm presuming it would.

I'm wondering if its that incompatibility issue with some i7 920s posted on Gigabyte's website.

Comment

Where is that at? Gotta link? I dont see any issues posted anywhere like that, infact I see tons of reviews and Overclock's posted with GA-X58 boards and 920 CPU's

Comment

i've the same problem. my board gets an infinity course of loop. The only difference is that it runs the first time i've install it for about 4 hours, than after a reboot of the os it starts the fake boot. I suppose that my 920 is not compatible with gigabyte board. In the mais website gigabyte says that some i7 cpus have problem with this board and raccomends us to update the bios to F3. But in my case in the first boot i saw that the bios version was F3 yet! If you have the opportunity to try an other i7 920 cpu with an other batch, do it. What code error the board displays when you power on?

Comment

The i7 incompatibility problem causing boot issues is mentioned in the CPU compatibility link from the product page at Gigabyte. Trouble is, I've never even come close to a boot, so I don't even know which BIOS I have and couldn't update it anyway.

Anyone know what happens if you boot with no RAM installed? Does it POST and give a reasonable error about having no memory, or does it do an infinite loop restart?

Gigabyte CPU issue link is:

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - FAQ - GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

Comment

Gigabyte tech support have asked me to RMA, suspecting the mobo isn't starting up properly. It's nice to have a fast response from them.

Comment

Yeah but the number of board not booting first time is pretty sad.

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Ya, if you have a case speaker connected you should get a error beep for no ram

Comment

As an update, I RMA'ed the board and the replacement seems to work OK. The new board did have an issue to begin with, where it shut down much the same as my last board. When power switch turned on again, it would boot complaining about a corrupt BIOS and presumably re-flash it. This would happen after each power off, but clearing the CMOS seems to have cured it for now. Still RAM speed tweaking to do to 1600, but seems OK so far.

Comment

Same happend to me this morning when i started the pc been running fine for 2 weeks. typing from the laptop now. Really not looking forward to having to rma this. Very sad :-(

Edit
                          Did you rma trough your retailer or directly trough Gigabyte service?
                          Last edited by Lars_J; 01-07-2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

@ Pipsicle, glad to hear you now have a working board!!

@ Lars J, did you try to clear your CMOS at all? If not, please try the method I posted here >>>

As for your RMA, it would be quicker if you still have time to RMA it thru your retailer and you would for sure get a new replacement

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Ive been following the reset quide yes, altough i might not have pressed the clr-smos button for a whole minute just yet. i disambled the system already but i might give it one more go before i return it building a test setup outside the case.

Only big issue i have now i cant find the anti staic bag it came in i think the house cleaner might have trashed it :-( need to find a decent way to pack it.

Ive contacted my reseller and asked for a rma number also pointed to this treath they rma number hase been aprroved but they are going to do there on test first i think. I post an update how things have been resolved, but i am confident in a good handling. I love the board it worked just fine and i hope to get a long term working one soone :-)

Thank you, support here is a big bonus to Gigabytes products.
                              Last edited by Lars_J; 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X