Need stable, out-of-the-box 4GB memory for gigabyte mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need stable, out-of-the-box 4GB memory for gigabyte mobo

Currently running corsair Twinx 800 mhz memory(2x1GB) in a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 mobo. Works fine. Tried upgrading to 2 2gb sticks(4 gb total)...once with corsair dominator at 1066 and once with corsair twinx at 800. neither would Post(blue screen of death every time). tried everything you could think of with help from this forum and still no luck. My understanding is corsair just doesnt agree with some gigabyte mobo's, especially 4gb worth.

My question is very specific...anybody out there have my exact mobo and is running 4 gb in it with no problems? Honestly, I dont want to bother with ten million tweaks...I am interested in something that is stable right out of the package. Any suggestions. Thanks

Re: Need stable, out-of-the-box 4GB memory for gigabyte mobo

You likely just needed to set your ram voltage, Add some MCH/NB voltage, and make sure trfc (Refresh to Act Delay) was set high enough (52-62)

+1 For Mushkin if you are asking, but if you still have the above ram it will work once you set it up correctly most likely. The same above suggested would need to be set for any board with any brand ram above 2x1GB

Comment

yeah, that looks like a 965 board. Make sure you get the latest BIOS and hope it has better support. You could buy foolproof el-cheapo single sided with no heatsink memory. They run under $50 shipped and should work fine. They just run a little slow with very little loss in speed, but they also don't overclock much if you were planning to overclock. If not, these should do the trick just fine.

Good luck
      -=Mark=-
      ps. I just looked at the Gigabyte memory support list for your board and the newest revision (3.3) didn't have but one 2gb stick listed in the whole list and was a 533MHz stick, but if you have a Conroe and don't overclock, then it should work.
      ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Thanks for the help but I am a little confused now.

LSD, I tried all of those changes and still would not work.

If I am understanding you correctly Mark, I am not going to get this memory to run with this mobo no matter what. Correct me if I am wrong. Would I be better off getting another set of 1 gb sticks of the same memory(to get me to 4gb total) for now? Should that run fine in my 965 board until I am ready to upgrade that?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by archangel19 View Post
          Thanks for the help but I am a little confused now.

LSD, I tried all of those changes and still would not work.

If I am understanding you correctly Mark, I am not going to get this memory to run with this mobo no matter what. Correct me if I am wrong. Would I be better off getting another set of 1 gb sticks of the same memory(to get me to 4gb total) for now? Should that run fine in my 965 board until I am ready to upgrade that?

Thanks again.
          sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you. I was making more of a memory recommedation that anything. There are two types of memory. Low desity and hogh density. One is for high performance and has less compatibilty while the other is a slower and more compatible. so, genericly speaking, the memory without heatsinks are not high perforrmance and are generally more compatible.

Your 4GB will more than likely work. It may take a lot of effort to get it done, and there is the rare possibility it won't run, as sometimes not all memory timings are listed in the BIOS which may be critical for your memory to work. I highly doubt this is the case.

first things I always try are raing the north bridge volts. I usually set it around .05 to .10 higher. For that board 1.35 is stock and try 1.4v. That extra memory puts a higher load on the north bridge and a little bump volts usually will allow things to work. also, the 965 chipset was designed for DDR2-800 memory. To get your DDR2-1066 memory to work you'll need to overclock it and will be defineately not plug and play.

Try the latest BIOS and if that doesn't work, I'm sure lsdmeasap can give you pointers on settings adjustments. I'm not very experienced in Gigabyte motherboards so he'll have much better advice on which timings/setting to adjust.

Good luck
          -=Mark=-
          ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Thanks for the help so far mark.

I may be able to get the 2x2gb sticks to work with LSD's help.

However, what is your opinion on just running 4x1gb sticks? Would that spare me a lot of this hassle(ie. essentially be plug and play)?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by archangel19 View Post
              Thanks for the help so far mark.

I may be able to get the 2x2gb sticks to work with LSD's help.

However, what is your opinion on just running 4x1gb sticks? Would that spare me a lot of this hassle(ie. essentially be plug and play)?

Thanks
              sorry, but the added sticks put more stress on the controller and you'll probably have to adjust things anyway. It's just the nature of the beast.

I put 2x2gb sticks in my DFI 965-s board a while back and all I did was set the NB to 1.4v and manually set the memory volts and timings listed on the box (4-4-4-12@2,1v) and it worked with a few random lockups. It turned out I needed to increase tRFC from the default of 45 to 54 and it was stable for me. So, it'll be a bit of a gamble on how much tweaking you need to do.

unfortunately with older technology it makes it difficult to implement newer technology. In fact the 965 wasn't suppose to get the wolfdale support as it increased the FSB from 266 to 333 and Intel deemed it not wise from the increased load it would put on the NB. but intel finally, and quietly (they made no public announcement and officially it isn't supported) implemented it in their BIOS after a few months after many complaints.

Good luck
              -=Mark=-

Comment

Mark,

Thanks very much for your help. Im going to try and get these sticks to work.

LSD, let me refer you to an earlier thread...

Ive been away and want to try and get this tackled now if you would be so kind as to lend more of your expert help.

Here is where I stand:

Tried changing the various voltage settings and didnt work. I am a little confused about the other suggestions you had in terms of settings like the ACT delays. Should I set all of those variables to the highest number and then move each one down in turn trying to get it to work? Not really sure how to go about manipulating these variables as there are pretty much infinite possibilities.

Also, I have not updated the BIOS(truthfully, I am nervous about bricking the mobo as I am fairly green). Would a BIOS update be absolutely neccessary to get this memory working? If not, I would rather not get invovled in flashing.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Ya, set things all high at first as far as timings go then you can lower later. All of the above is for sure true! 4x1 would be much harder to get stable, but you can for sure use 2x2 on your board

Please link me to your ram and then fill this out with the max you have tried and I will advise back. If a setting in this is not in your BIOS just ignore it and erase that line or note to me that you do not see it. >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                  Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                  CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
                  Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                  CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                  CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
                  PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                  C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                  System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                  DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                  Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                  Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                  Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                  Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                  Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                  Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                  Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                  Static tRead Value_______________
                  Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                  DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
                  PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
                  FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
                  (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
                  CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                  No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                  C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                  x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                  Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                  Yes, Updating your BIOS is suggested to the latest NON Beta at least. Do this with only one stick of ram installed so you know you are good and stable. DO NOT USE @BIOS and you will be fine. Here is a guide I wrote for flashing With Qflash >>>

And here is your BIOS page, be sure to check your Board Revision (Noted in the guide above how to check) and if your's is not the page I link click the correct revision for your board before you download the BIOS file (This is rev. 3.3 page) >>>
                  GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-965G-DS3 (rev. 3.3)

As for if it is Necessary, not sure as I am not there to play with things myself to see how quirky the BIOS you have now is. What Version is it by the way? You can check with CPU-z in the mainboard tab, or by hitting F9 on the MAIN Page of the BIOS

Comment

LSD,
                    Thanks so far. Here is a link to the memory I am trying to get to work:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

My BIOS version is F2 unless I am reading you the wrong line. I tried flashing with a USB(dont have floppy drive) and had no luck. The QFlash utility only has "flash from floppy drive" as an option, even though I had legacy USB detection enabled. Maybe you could help me with that.

Not really sure what else to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X