Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OC Help: 3.58GHz Q6600 & EP45-UD3P

Originally posted by imprezastipwr View Post
    Sorry, I didn't notice the Xigmatek in your sig. I would try for 3.2GHz since CPU load won't typically be as strenuous as they are during P95 tests.
    No problem. I pro'lly should list the CPU and the cooler as the first couple of items but I listed them in the order that I purchased them.

Quick question: Whats a good Prime95 stress duration? 24hrs/16hrs/12/hrs/8hrs/6hrs/2-3hrs? I remember your post about getting reboots 2-3hours into it and last night I got a hardware error at 5hrs.

Also, what about OCC? What duration should I use? Also, is P95 better than OCCT because it stresses 4 cores at one time compared to OCCT's 2?

I have not increased the CPU yet, I am still running prime95 to make sure all is ok for my records.

Thanks!

Comment

The latest version of OCCT stresses all cores and is similar to the P95 small FFT tests. Generally, OCCT will come up with errors quicker than P95 (which is more thorough).

Personally, I use both by starting with OCCT and getting stability for 1-2 hours. Then Prime95 on large FFT or blend tests for 8-24 hours.

After testing my current system in P95, I noticed that most errors occured in the 224-128k range.

Comment

The latest version of OCCT stresses all cores and is similar to the P95 small FFT tests. Generally, OCCT will come up with errors quicker than P95 (which is more thorough).

Personally, I use both by starting with OCCT and getting stability for 1-2 hours. Then Prime95 on large FFT or blend tests for 8-24 hours.

After testing my current system in P95, I noticed that most errors occured in the 224-128k range.
        So is occt faster than prime95? I would assume you would just use prime95 instead. That is what I was doing before and it would find something within 10mins to 5 hrs.

Comment

Hey why are you running at 400mhz FSB and 8x cpu multiplier just out of curiosity? Is that the only way you could get stable?

Right now I am at 3.2ghz w/ 9x multiplier @ 1.275v vcore and 854mhz memory frequency (per EasyTune6) and a 2.4 strab B @ 333mhz (I believe) and load temps at 54 51 54 48 at a little over 4 hours stress with Prime 95.

Just crashed in prime after 4hrs of stressing. I have moved on to your recommended 1.28750v and testing now.
          Last edited by reason; 01-16-2009, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I'm using a 400mhz FSB and 8x multiplier so I can use 2.0D strap for 800mhz memory frequency. I know my memory is stable at 800mhz, so if I were to encounter a problem, I don't have to suspect the memory as a possible cause.

Comment

I'm using a 400mhz FSB and 8x multiplier so I can use 2.0D strap for 800mhz memory frequency. I know my memory is stable at 800mhz, so if I were to encounter a problem, I don't have to suspect the memory as a possible cause.
              Hm, I see... So does it really matter if I use a 333mhz FSB, 9x multiplier with a 2.40B strap? Is there any difference in performance?

Comment

I'm unsure of how the performance is affected and I'm sure you can find a stable configuration with your settings. My memory frequency is at 800mhz because I don't see a need to go over or under that amount for a 3.2GHz OC.

Comment

I'm unsure of how the performance is affected and I'm sure you can find a stable configuration with your settings. My memory frequency is at 800mhz because I don't see a need to go over or under that amount for a 3.2GHz OC.
                  Ok. That brings me to another question: My ram is overclocked, the voltage is set at 2.1v for the OC, the board runs it at 1.8 corsairs site says 1.9. Since I do not need to OC the ram for a 3.2ghz OC (such as yours) should I use the same 1:1 ratio as you for the ram and fsb? Also, does OC'ing the ram voltage and speed of the memory cause any long term side effects to the memory?

Comment

I think you're going to get mixed opinions on that as well. It's probably best to do your own research on actual performance gains as opposed to side effects, safety, etc.

Personally, I don't think you need to overclock the RAM if you just want 3.2GHz. I would also decrease the voltage to 1.9 to reduce RAM heat.

Comment

I think you're going to get mixed opinions on that as well. It's probably best to do your own research on actual performance gains as opposed to side effects, safety, etc.

Personally, I don't think you need to overclock the RAM if you just want 3.2GHz. I would also decrease the voltage to 1.9 to reduce RAM heat.
                      The computer rebooted for some reason during prim95. I do not think it was due to lack of voltage because when the system rebooted into windows, it was prompting me for a driver install for a SCSI/RAID config. So I am thinking it was because I was installing some software while it was stress testing.

Anyways, I have the memory voltage reduced to 1.9v and its running 1:1 now at 3.2hgz w/ a 8x400 multiplier.

Comment

I read up on this and it seems you get a slightly better through put with the higher FSB. Applications may load a bit faster, thats all.

Well I am 24hrs stable with 3.2ghz. I am happy there.

I did notice windows xp reports my current speed at 3.60Ghz. I am assuming because of the 400mhz FSB. Why it is multiplying it by x9 instead of the x8 that I am actually using I have no idea but cpu-z has it at 3200mhz. So its all good.

I I take it that I can turn all of the energy saving features back on and use even install Dynamic Energy Saver with no problems correct? I turned all of this off, per the overclocking guide, when I was testing the limits of my memory. What is everyone's opinion on this?
                        Last edited by reason; 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

You should test P95 with the energy saving features enabled. If there are no problems during the tests and afterwords during normal use, you should be fine.

So far I'm 12 hours stable with P95 with EIST and C1E enabled. CPU vcore is set to 1.29375 (1.26 actual).

Comment

resolved my issue this afternoon.
                            I went back to all stock and it will resume from S3 without issue.
                            Target OC was 3.2 so I tried 9*355=3.195 instead of 8*400=3.2
                            I tried leaving the multiplier at 9x and set the CPU host freq to 355
                            PCI exp freq to 100
                            MCH Freg Latch to 333
                            Sys mem multiplier to 2.4B (memory running at 852)
                            everything else is set to auto.
                            I didn't touch the memory settings.
                            I am now able to resume from S3 sleep without the boot loop
                            F5 bios

Comment

Hey, I have another question. My Geforce PCIE 7300 card is running a little hotter than usual. It's normally around 43 degrees celcius but right now its at 53 degrees as I am running prime95. Is this normal? Is it running hotter because the FSB is running at 400 if so, should I be concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by wchp View Post
                                resolved my issue this afternoon.
                                I went back to all stock and it will resume from S3 without issue.
                                Target OC was 3.2 so I tried 9*355=3.195 instead of 8*400=3.2
                                I tried leaving the multiplier at 9x and set the CPU host freq to 355
                                PCI exp freq to 100
                                MCH Freg Latch to 333
                                Sys mem multiplier to 2.4B (memory running at 852)
                                everything else is set to auto.
                                I didn't touch the memory settings.
                                I am now able to resume from S3 sleep without the boot loop
                                F5 bios
                                Everything else is set to auto? Are you overclocking? If so, that could be a bad idea. you may want to adjust the vcore and the cpu pll to non auto settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X