GA-EP45-UD3R will not hold oc settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R will not hold oc settings

Hi all, I have been reading and searching for a while but I can not find an answer to my problem.

First off great job on this board, it looks like there are many knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Secondly, I am relatively new to overclocking(so please excuse my ignorance), I have done it to 2 ASUS boards with success, but my new machine is giving me some problems.

When I go to bios and change any settings, they automatically return to the default settings after it boots.

I installed ET6 and tried it through there and the same thing happened.

I also tried using the "Easy" OC buttons and the same thing happened.

Am I missing something?

My machine specs are as follows:
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Thanks, Paul

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R will not hold oc settings

that mean your OC is not good ... so then they revert back that all ... post the full setting and maybe everyone can help you out

Comment

I have reset everything to the factory settings, so can anyone give me some ideas on where to start.

This seems much harder than the other ones(asus) I have done.

I am looking to get 2.9 Ghz out of it.

I am under the impression that this should be very obtainable.

Thanks

Comment

Here are a couple of things I have noticed.

It seems that after some of the changes I make, the system actually resets itself to a lower setting (always 1.2Ghz or 1.69Ghz).

Many times if I try to set the CPU to 2.2 or 2.3 it will only go to 1.69 in the "system settings" icon, even though the BIO's screen still shows the overclocked settings?

As a matter of fact, a couple of times after overclocking the CPU, the window "system settings" icon shows the new settings I have entered (i.e. 2.3), and then if I click out of the "system setting" window and then immediatly click back into it, it shows a value of 1.2 or 1.69?

My limited experience with ASUS boards has taught me, that if I put in a CPU value that was too high, the computer just won't boot and then I have to either lower the CPU value or raise the voltage to a something in the area of 1.475 or so.

Is this the way Gigabyte boards are supposed to work?

This is becoming very frustrating, any ideas?

I forgot to add that I am using a 750watt Corsair PS, so the power should not be an issue.
        Last edited by usmcpaul; 12-11-2008, 06:20 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

did you disable speedstep ??? C1E and EIST ???

Comment

Originally posted by godto View Post
            did you disable speedstep ??? C1E and EIST ???

No. I have no idea what those settings are, nor where to go to change them, nor what to change them to.

Is this a standard thing that you have to do when overclocking a Gigabyte board?

Comment

Its Speedstep, Intels version of AMD's Cool & Quiet. Both features down clock and lower the CPU voltage when not in use or very little load. I think they 1st used it in laptops to extend battery life.
              New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

I don't know if it is callled Speedstep, but there is some type of energy saver that I loaded.

I wonder if that could be causing my stress.

Comment

I have the same MB, and was also fooled into thinking bios did not keep my overclocking changes. Fix: in bios, disable "CPU EIST function"
                  This is a wonderful MB. I overclock to 4ghz stable, simply by changing "CPU Host Freq" to 400mhz & CPU clock ratio to x10.

Good Luck,

Jesse (w6kkt)
                  Last edited by w6kkt; 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by w6kkt View Post
                    I have the same MB, and was also fooled into thinking bios did not keep my overclocking changes. Fix: in bios, disable "CPU EIST function"
                    This is a wonderful MB. I overclock to 4ghz stable, simply by changing "CPU Host Freq" to 400mhz & CPU clock ratio to x10.

Good Luck,

Jesse (w6kkt)

Thanks for the input, I hope you are right. I have heard many good things about this board.

I will update you tonight when I get home. Thanks.

Anyone else that has an idea please feel free to chime in. I won't be able to try these ideas until I get home in a few hours and the more ideas, the better my chances are.

Comment

Thank you all very much

I disabled the C1E and the EIST and so far it is working very well.

I can not go past 2.75, or it will clock back down to 2.00 or just 'beep' one loud long tone and not boot, but I may have to start a new thread for that.

Again, Thanks a lot.

Comment

More voltages maybe? Glad to see you got speedstep disabled for now though

Comment

Working...
                        X