Gigabyte HD 4850 GV-R485ZL-512H problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte HD 4850 GV-R485ZL-512H problems

Hi! Funny I didn't find any other threads about this card.. but let's cut to the chase. I'm having a really difficult time with this card. It randomly crashes and freezes, resets drivers and gives me BSoD. It happens while playing games, or watching movies. I've read that other people have those problems too, mostly with Sapphire cards, but they got a bios fix..
    I've tried many different versions of Catalyst, but there's no change. Also I've tried to disable the powerplay function by fixing the memory clocks to 625mhz, but this doesn't help either. It can't be the temperature too, it's 58 celsius tops..
    There's no crashes whatsoever, when drivers are not installed, so it must be their issue. I've tried the hotfix drivers from ATI/AMD site and also the original ones from Gigabyte's website.
    Is there any fix released for this or what should I do?

Re: Gigabyte HD 4850 GV-R485ZL-512H problems

Have you tried older drivers at all yet? Added PCIE/ICH voltages at all?

What is your full specs?

Comment

Thanks for answering!

My specs:
      WinXP Pro SP2
      Intel C2D E6300
      ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
      2048Mb Kingston DDR2-667
      Fortron 450W ver. 2.0

Yes, I've tried all versions since Catalyst 8.6
      Could you explain about PCIE/ICH voltages? These are unknown to me.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure about Asrock boards what PCIE voltage would be. It is the South Bridge voltage I was talking about. Some boards label this is PCIE Voltage, some SB Voltage, some ICH Core, some SBVdimm. What voltages do you see in your overclocking/voltage page?

Are you sure that 450W PSU have enough amps on the 12V rail for that card, and your system?

Hmmm, this is this your board right? >>>
        ASRock Motherboard - Product - 775Dual-vsta - Overview

I see only one PCI Express slot at x4. So that for sure would be PCI Express 1.0 and is that card is only backwards compatible with PCI Express x16 1.1 most likely this is your issue

Comment

Yes, my PSU should do fine.. one other user confirmed that it's suitable before I bought it.
          Are you saying, that this card doesn't work with PCI-E x4 ? Everest tells me, that my slot is x 16, but I remember that I can choose the multiplier in BIOS.
          I checked BIOSes too for my motherboard.. there's some new ones available that patch HD 3xxx cards, maybe that's the issue and I should upgrade ?

Comment

Ok, I upgraded my motherboards BIOS. And now it seems to be working! Really big thanks, because I wouldn't have stumbled upon to it myself if you hadn't posted the link.
            Really don't know why, I guess I was too busy thinking it was the VGA's BIOS.
            Thanks again tho for helping!! :)

Comment

Nice, Ya I would have suggested that but not knowing about Asrock BIOS's I thought that best left up to you to look into. Guess I should have at least mentioned it

So you all up and running now then? If so, great to hear it and enjoy your build

Comment

Hi, for me it works in idle (sort of speaking)but in 3dmark06 i have only 7000 points and on ''yougamers.com'' when i try compatibility with the games it says hd3850 is better !
                The system:
                CPU AMDX2 3600+
                3056 DDR2 - 667 MHZ(2X1024 TWINMOS +1024ADATA)
                PSU ANTEC 500W
                MSI K9N ULTRA
                VISTA ULTIMATE SP1

i'm up to date with all drivers,bios etc.Can someone help to tell me if there is a problem of compatibility or i just have to change the cpu and the pcb to obtain something most closely to the real potential of this gpu ?

Comment

Run this and see if your Card is even running at x16 >>
                  GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

I can say since your board does not support PCIE 2.0 then it wont show up as scoring so good likely at yougamers

I get 12000 with my 3870, but that total score is added up from all your other hardware scores mainly + CPU Score. But I am sure what ram and ram speed does have a effect on the CPU Score and the HDR and SM2/3 scores as well

Mixing ram is not good either, you should use one or the other for sure and sell off a set or save up for a matching set of either. Or just save and get you a set of 2x2 800Mhz, only about $35-50 these days. Here is some FREE (After Rebate of course) >>
                  Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX 2GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) Dual-Channel Memory Kits w/DHX Technology at ZipZoomfly

Comment

Thanks,
                    gpuz recognize well the gpu (pci expressx16 and all the others features i've seen on others benchmarks) so than i would wait until the next upgrade to see some nice scores, although i wouldn't expect that the cpu +pcb to have so much importance overall (in some benchmarks the card scores 12500 points with only E8400 and 2048 ram).
                    At least you helped me to cool down and watch some movies instead of gaming (how it should be with this 4850).
                    Thanks again !!!

Comment

Does it show PCI Express x16 @ x16? Just checking

How are Gigabyte cards? Never had one, I have always bought Sapphire cards

Comment

Working...
                      X