Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R Problems with Nvidia 9800GT

Hi Guys,

i currently just finished putting together my new computer. it was running vista ultimate 64 bit, but i switched to windows xp because i would get a black screen after updates and such from vista. The problem doesn't occur in XP, but the video card problem from below, does occur in both!

The build consists of:
    - GA-EP45-UD3R mobo
    - BFG Nvidia 9800 GT
    - OCZ DDR2 1066 RAM (2x2Gigs)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    - WD Caviar 640g HD
    - LG 22x DVD+/-Drive
    - Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Cooler
    - CoolerMaster Real Power 550 Watt PSU

well the video card when i try to go into the nvidia controller panel it freezes up the entire computer, and also i can't play any games such a team fortress 2, counter strike. i've reinstalled drivers and wiped them twice already still having the same problem.
    i'm having a bunch of problems with everything as this is also my first build. i'm completely lost on whats wrong with this computer.
    Could someone tell me if its the PSU isn't good enough for this build or maybe a faulty video card?

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Problems with Nvidia 9800GT

How many Amps does your PSU say on the side for 12V rail? Your card requires 26A or more and you have to also consider the rest of your system using some of that as well
    BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB PCIe 2.0

Aside from that are you using all the latest Drivers? Intel Chipset, and Video drivers? >>>

Nvidia
    Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Intel

Some games just do always have issues with certain drivers, does this happen in all games?

Do you have all Windows updates installed including optional ones like .Net framework? Those are normally needed to open some application interfaces

Comment

also ... is your system stable ???? have you run any stress test yet ??? if you didn't then maybe your system error .. not video card

Comment

Your power supply has 38A @ 12V split over two rails (spec says three, but two are combined internally) — 20A to 24pin main and 18A to peripherals including video card (this can fluctuate somewhat between rails with load distribution — it's not set in stone — but continuous overload on a rail should be avoided.)

At first glance this may look to have insufficient for the video card, which requires 26A at peak output, but remember it draws current from the motherboard as well — the PCI-e connector is supplementary power.

However, 26A to one card is a lot and at full GPU loading leaves but twelve amps for all the rest of the system (IMHO the amount of power needed for some of these cards is ridiculous — solid state devices are supposed to save power, not throw it around like drunken sailors) so if you have access to a lower spec video card try it and see if the problem disappears.

Or, attach another 12V device, put a heavy load on and see if it gets worse.

If it does you'll need to arrange for more amps.

Still go carefully through the BIOS settings, though — these boards are more complex than most of us are used to — and do run extended RAM and CPU tests before replacing anything.

Comment

Great information and tips Idle.. Thanks!!!

Comment

i have the latest drivers and today i went to fry's to buy a 650watt psu with a single rail with about 52amps on it.
            Same thing happens card crashes when i get into Nvidia Control Panel or try to launch games.
            would it be the motherboard then possibly?

Comment

Hmm.... I dont know. I would be testing that card in another system, or another card in your system to see which it is. It could be the card or the board, or your settings.

What are you using for >>>
              ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< ?
              ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< ?

And is this all at stock? Is it ok with only 2GB of ram? Can you runthis program Lightsmark >>>

Comment

well my card works in my friends asus mobo, of the older generation
                and his 8800GT works on my mobo. so idk.

Comment

Hmm that is odd then! Did you try adding some ICH Voltages? Try >>>
                  ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: 1.55-1.6
                  ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: 1.14-1.2

Hey did you test your card and your PSU in his system or just your card? As said above your PSU may not be up to the challenge....

Comment

he has a 500 watt psu, and my psu is a 550w so im not sure.
                    and i also got a 650 watt from frys that was garanteed to run SLI/Crossfire
                    well i've just purchased a asus mobo also, and the same thing happened.
                    i guess its my card having problems with ICH10 mobos.
                    Last edited by jimmysaon; 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's just your specific card — you seem to have ruled out 'most everything else.

I have an 8800GTS (Winfast, tho', not BFG,and the 320GB version) running quite happily in the same board — swapped it out of a nForce 4 Ultra + Athlon dual-core 4600 setup where it also ran fine.

If you can get your hands on one, I'd try another 9800GT — maybe of a different brand.

Comment

Ya, sounds like it may be the card then!! Time to RMA for another or get a different brand

Comment

thanks to everyone who helped!
                          especially lsd!
                          i'm rma-ing the card
                          and currently have a EVGA 9800GT inside which has NO PROBLEMS!
                          system running fine, just gotta overclock now.

Comment

Ahh, so it was indeed the card then eh? Great to hear you found the issue, sorry you had to buy a new card!

Good luck with your RMA, and with your venture into overclocking. Post back anytime

Comment

Working...
                            X