Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P + Q9550 + OCZ reaper 2x2 pc8500..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P + Q9550 + OCZ reaper 2x2 pc8500..

I have been out of hardware scene for a while, my last pc i built was socket 478 p4 3.2 ghz so please bare with me. I just ordered the combo mentioned in the title and should be here in couple of days and I am very excited. I am using Antec nine hundred case and stock cooler(for now). I also got EVGA 9500 1gb VC(not so much into gaming). What are the optimal settings for bios to run it stable and the max OC I can do on stock cooler with the case I have? Is it possible to OC the ram? Sorry if I sound novice but like i said, i have been out of hardware scene for years. thanks in advance for all the help.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + Q9550 + OCZ reaper 2x2 pc8500..

I'm sure Lsdmeasap will be along soon with some sample settings ;)

Although the stock cooler is great for running stock settings, you'll probably want a better cooler if you're going to OC much - they don't cost an awful lot.

If your ram is this OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition then it will probably do something more than 1066MHz. It's really a matter of try and see. Also, at those speeds you'll have to loosen the timings compared to lower speeds. You may find you prefer a bit lower speed, but nice tight timings. Do benchmark measurements as you go and see what you like best.

I hear those mobos are very nice for OCing. Good luck.
    Intel E8400 E0 3GHz @ 4.0GHz (444x9) stable (provisionally), max 4.4GHz (489x9), Zalman CNPS 9700 (core temp 46c @ max load @ 4.0GHz),
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G F5b BIOS + 40mm fan on MCH, Geil Black Dragon DDR2-PC8500C5 (2x1GB) @ 1066MHz (444x2.4)
    Sapphire ATI HD 4850 Dual Slot Cooler (64c @ max load), Dell 3007WFP 30" (2560x1600)
    Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache, Samsung 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB cache, LG GH22LP20 22x DVD+/-RW
    Corsair TX 650W, Antec Three Hundred + 2x120mm front fans, WinXP SP3 Home

Comment

Thanks for the reply Pum. If someone can recomend a good heatsink, i would really appreciate it. I would rather build the system with better heatsink then having to change it after everything is setup.

Comment

Originally posted by nrupalp View Post
        Thanks for the reply Pum. If someone can recomend a good heatsink, i would really appreciate it. I would rather build the system with better heatsink then having to change it after everything is setup.
        Take a look at the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. It's relatively cheap but works great. A lot of people recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and I found (after lots of research) that they are both great coolers but the Xigmatek is superior. If you buy the Xigmatek, I would highly recommend purchasing the retention bracket to avoid dealing with the pushpins. The retention bracket you want for the HDT-S1283 is model ACK-I7751.

Comment

Arctic coooling 7 is what i have for 478 socket..xigmatek looks interesting.

Comment

look in here .. hope it give you some idea and range ... i had the same setting as you

Comment

If your going to use the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 get the base plate for under the board....Way worth the $7 cost. You'll mount it much more firmly and safely.

Comment

I think i will wait on aftermarket heatsink for better price. I will see what the oem keep the cpu at. If i can push 9550 to 3.2 with stock fan, i am okay for now. Will get all the parts on tuesday and will be building it that night.

Comment

Originally posted by acripps View Post
                  If your going to use the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 get the base plate for under the board....Way worth the $7 cost. You'll mount it much more firmly and safely.

Do i need to buy AS5 if i buy HDT-S1283? or does it come with compound of its own?

Comment

any cooler you buy .. i would sugest you also buy AS5 .... because the one that come with cooler is not as good .. remember this is not some thing easy to change out if you don't like ... want a first shot to be good.

Comment

I suggest TX-2 or MX-2 over Arctic Silver anyday.

If you need some help with your setup let me know once you get built and I can for sure help

You may or may not be able to go much over the 1066 stock of the ram, all depends on timings and the actual chips used in the ram. But generally ya you can some.

I do suggest a better then stock heatsink for sure since you are overclocking, but you may be able to do 3.4-3.6 on stock until you get a better one. All depends on how volt hungry your CPU is

Comment

THanks a lot for the reply LSD. I really appreciate you wanting to help me. I will definately post here ones i have the pc up and running. I cant wait. Just knows that i m getting a new pc, this one feels really really slow for some reason..lol

Comment

I always help when and if I can for sure!

Ya, let us know when you get up and running and we can help for sure!

So you using a 478 right now? If so RDRAM or DDR? Ya, you will see a HUGE Performance increase coming to 775, and quad at that!

Comment

Originally posted by nrupalp View Post
                            If someone can recomend a good heatsink, i would really appreciate it. I would rather build the system with better heatsink then having to change it after everything is setup.
                            The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro is relatively inexpensive and I get the impression it's the best for the price. From what I've read, the Xigmatek is excellent, but costs more. Personally, I'd get the mounting bracket for the back of the mobo. I'm using a Zalman CNPS 9700 on my E8400 and I'm very happy with it - it costs about the same as the Xigmatek I think, but comes with its own rear bracket.
                            Intel E8400 E0 3GHz @ 4.0GHz (444x9) stable (provisionally), max 4.4GHz (489x9), Zalman CNPS 9700 (core temp 46c @ max load @ 4.0GHz),
                            Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G F5b BIOS + 40mm fan on MCH, Geil Black Dragon DDR2-PC8500C5 (2x1GB) @ 1066MHz (444x2.4)
                            Sapphire ATI HD 4850 Dual Slot Cooler (64c @ max load), Dell 3007WFP 30" (2560x1600)
                            Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache, Samsung 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB cache, LG GH22LP20 22x DVD+/-RW
                            Corsair TX 650W, Antec Three Hundred + 2x120mm front fans, WinXP SP3 Home

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              I always help when and if I can for sure!

Ya, let us know when you get up and running and we can help for sure!

So you using a 478 right now? If so RDRAM or DDR? Ya, you will see a HUGE Performance increase coming to 775, and quad at that!
                              I am on ddr.

Comment

Working...
                              X