EP45-UD3P: help! can't get windows installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P: help! can't get windows installed

I've just put together a new computer and I can not figure out what is wrong with this thing. I'm running out of ideas on how to narrow down the issue. Here's the components I've just put together:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Intel E8500 3.16ghz processor
    2x2gb corsair xms2 ddr 800 memory (twin2x4096-6400C5 G)
    Evga GTX 260 vid card
    PC Power + Cooling 610W Silencer psu
    WD Caviar Black 500GB HD
    Samsung SATA DVD-RW drive

I have a number of issues going on, the largest being that I can't get windows to install.

First question: Why is my bios and the POST screen telling me my CPU is 2.83ghz, when it is supposed to be at 3.16ghz?

Second, where does it say what version of the bios I'm running? EDIT: figured this out, looks like I have F4, I think.

Third, and most importantly, why can't i get xp installed? I have 2 different disks available, both of which will get into the blue setup screen and begin to copy files before I get an error that says "Setup cannot copy file xxx.xxx" where the file varies depending on which disk I use. I looked this error up online and it says it's either a scratched cd, a bad cd rom drive, or a problem with the memory. I don't think it's a bad cd as it happens with either cd. Further, i borrowed a dvd drive from a computer i've had for awhile and it still has the same problems when that drive is used on the new computer.

I've tried manually setting the memory settings in bios to match the standard settings of the memory, i've tried switching the memory around, using just 1 stick of memory at a time. I've looked at the bios settings but i don't understand a lot of them so I'm not sure what I can or can not change. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or where my problem can be? I need to get this figured out quickly because I only have a short window to turn in some mail in rebate forms on the items i bought. Unfortuantely, I can't RMA back through newegg if I start the rebate process so I wnat to get it set up quicly.

I'm going to try to give as much info on my settings as I can, so hopefully someone can help me figure out if i have bad hardware, bad settings, or both!

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: AUTO
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: +0.5CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.83GHz (333x8.5)

Clock Chip Control Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: Auto
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: [Auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 5
    tRCD ......................................... 5
    tRP'........................................... 5
    tRAS.......................................... 18

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD........................................... Autot
    WTR..........................................Auto
    tWR............................................Aut o
    tRFC...........................................Aut o
    tRTP........................................... Auto
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................
    Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7 [Auto]
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:1 Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.20000V
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: Auto
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: Auto
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: Auto
    MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: Auto
    MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: Auto
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: Auto

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: Normal (I think my memory is supposed to be 1.9V?)
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

</PRE><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by usaft; 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM.

Re: EP45-UD3P: help! can't get windows installed

First question: Why is my bios and the POST screen telling me my CPU is 2.83ghz, when it is supposed to be at 3.16ghz?
    Load and apply optimized defaults and then set ONLY your ram voltage and save/apply reboot.

Then you will HAVE to set all settings again, including your SATA And disk settings. And yes, you should for sure do this anytime you build a system or update the BIOS. Sure you can manually set things, but hidden things may not be applied if you do not load optimized

If you hit F9 on the MAIN page of the BIOS you can see what version you have

Did you burn your own install disks? If so you may want to burn one again and do it at the SLOWEST Setting you can burn at, I see that error often with damaged disks or ones that have been burned at max speed or too fast in general.

This is a SP2 or greater disk you are trying correct? If not you will have to slipstream the SP's to a ISO and reburn your install disk. Let me know if you need some info about doing this

What type of disk/disks do you have IDE or SATA? Just want to be sure. And where on the board do you have them connected? And your CD/DVD drives IDE or SATA

Then please post me a image of your Integrated peripherals BIOS Page and I will see if I can get you squared away.

Your settings in general look acceptable, but not the greatest to use but you should have been able to install like that as long as everything else was right. I think you may just have incorrect disk settings, a few bad install CD's or NON Sp2+ CD, or disks plugged in the wrong places.

What you could do to make things easier on you until you get installed is before you load optimized remove a stick of ram and just use one for now until you get installed

Comment

Ok, I let memtest run all night (so for about 7 hours) with both sticks of memory in, no errors reported so far when I woke up.

I have 1 Samsung sata DVD-RW drive, plugged in via sata cable and connected to GSATA_0 on the board. Note: I temporarily disconnected this drive and used an IDE drive I know works and connected this to the mobo via IDE cable with the same results.

I have one 500GB WD hard drive connected via sata to SATA2_1.

XP DISKS
      ---------
      - I tried using a burned disk with sp3 slipstreamed in
      - I tried using an original windows xp pro (from 2003 I think, might be pre SP1)
      - I tried using a disk i used to install my last machine, a burned slipstreamed win xp pro with sp2. however, this one always shows up as NTLDR is missing when i try to boot with it on the new machine, not sure why as it worked correctly in the past..

MEMORY STICKS
      ---------------
      - yesterday, I tried installing with 2, then with each 1 in slot one, then using just 1 stick in various memory slots. I have not tried your specific instructions about loading optimized with just 1 stick yet, will do when I get home from work.

Integrated Peripherals BIOS Page

SATA RAID/AHCI MODE : Disabled
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Disabled
      USB Controller : Enabled
      USB 2.0 Controller : Enabled
      USB Keyboard Support: Enabled
      USB Mouse Support: Enabled
      Legacy USB Storage detect: enabled
      Azalia Codec: Auto
      Onboard H/W 1394: Enabled
      Onboard H/W LAN1: Enabled
      Onboard H/W LAN2: Enabled
      Green LAN: Disabled
      SMART LAN1: Press Enter
      SMART LAN2: Press Enter
      Onboard LAN1 Boot ROM: Disabled
      Onboard LAN2 Boot ROM: Disabled
      Onboard SATA/IDE Device: Enabled
      Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: IDE
      Onboard Serial Port 1: 3F8/IRQ4
      Onboard Parallel Port : 378/IRQ7
      Parallel Port Mode: SPP

Comment

After checking the BIOS version within the BIOS, I confirmed it is version F4. Should I try updating to F5?
        Last edited by usaft; 12-05-2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

OK, well stick to SP2 or above Install disks. Can you test your disks on another machine to be sure they are burned correctly and do install?

These are for the Yellow/Intel ports
          SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Disabled << Enable for CD/DVD to work properly on these slots

Legacy USB Storage detect: enabled << Disable this for now, and remove any external USB Devices you are using

This is the Purple/GA/J.Micron Ports
          Onboard SATA/IDE Device: Enabled
          Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: IDE

You may want to switch to using the yellow ports, and this would be your settings for that to work. Put Hard drive on Yellow port Zero, and DVD Drive on 1-3, or on the GA ports.

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Disabled << Enable for CD/DVD to work properly on these slots

Since you do burn your own disks, please if you can test them in another machine to be sure they work.... If they do not, burn them again on Slowest speed you can set.

Also, you may want to test with another cable. And be sure you remove any jumper on the back of the drive

Comment

Well, after all the configuration changes, memory swaps, memtests, and all the other nonsense, the only thing that has worked was getting a copy of a retail version of xp2 pro w/ sp2 disk and running that. So at least I confirmed that I can get into an O/S. my cd key is for an OEM version of xp pro, so the retail disk isn't letting me use the key I was planning to, but at least I can get into windows with the borrowed key. I'm going to have to get a new one before I activate it, but I was mostly worried I had bad hardware somewhere. If I can test all of that and make sure it's fine then I'll just have to purchase a new copy of windows I guess. I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting a copy of vista ultimate 64 bit

I still have my drives connected to the same locations:
            SATA DVD burner: GSATA_0 (no jumpers)
            WD 500GB HDD: SATA2_1
            Front panel eSata connector: GSATA_1

Are the rest of the settings ok for now, or is there a major mistake here somewhere? Here's the settings I currently have.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
            Robust Graphics Booster ...............: AUTO
            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9X
            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: +0.5CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.16GHz

Clock Chip Control Standard Clock Control
            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: Auto
            C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
            CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800mV
            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900mV
            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0ps
            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
            Performance Enhance...................: [Turbo]
            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
            System Memory Multiplier ..............: [Auto]
            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 800
            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
            CAS Latency Time........................ 5
            tRCD ......................................... 5
            tRP'........................................... 5
            tRAS.......................................... 18

Advanced Timing Control
            tRRD........................................... Autot
            WTR..........................................Auto
            tWR............................................Aut o
            tRFC...........................................52

Comment

I would make these changes for stability until you feel like tweaking them all >>>

RAM Performance Control
              Performance Enhance...................: [Standard]

tRFC...........................................48-50 (Yes, 52-62 is normal stable range for 2x2GB)
              It likely showed 42 because maybe you did not load optimized after installing both sticks? But anyway, what you see on the left is not what is used in Auto always anyway, just was has been used in the past or what MAY be loaded right then in the BIOS but not what would be used in windows

MCH/ICH
              MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.24-1.28

DRAM
              DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.9V

Comment

ugh. so, i decide I want to get a 64 bit edition of Vista Ultimate and install it on the new computer. I buy an OEM version of the 64 bit, and guess what?! It hangs during installation! The computer has been running fine since I managed to get XP installed. I'm starting to get annoyed with the whole setup. I'm going to be playing around with bios settings (again) to try to get this thing installed. It gets through the loading files screen, shows the little windows bar on the bottom, then goes to the vista blue and green background screen (which i assume is where it would ask you to click the install button). It just sits there... no gui ever comes up that I can interact with. Just to make sure the dvd wasn't messed up, i popped it into my older machine and let that machine boot it and it went right to that screen with no problem.

I'm half tempted to just remove my hard drive from my new machine, stick it in the old one and install windows from there (if it works). Would that be bad?

Comment

You won't be able to properly install Vista if you use a different machine. All the drivers would be wrong. Odds are pretty good that it would refuse to boot at all. You mention that the XP disk that you had been trying to use originally was an OEM. Was it, by chance, a restore disk and not a real XP disk? That would explain some of your original issues.
                  Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

No, it was a normal original install disk, not a restore one. There were no problems using it to install with in the past (when I rebuilt the computer about 3 years ago, I used the same OEM xp pro with the original license key).

I thought maybe it just didn't like my old pre SP1 CDs and that's why the retail version with SP2 worked fine. Obviously that's not the case with a brand new vista 64 cd.

I can't explain this behavior at all. Completely at a loss here as to why this thing is behaving this way, and I'm beginning to wish i had bought an nvidia based mobo like i originally planned.

I tried putting in a different hard drive and installing to that, just to make sure my drive wasn't messed up, but the result was identical.

Comment

It gets through the loading files screen, shows the little windows bar on the bottom, then goes to the vista blue and green background screen (which i assume is where it would ask you to click the install button). It just sits there... no gui ever comes up that I can interact with.
                      How long did you wait at this point? I just installed Vista64 a few days ago using same mobo and CPU as you and twice restarted the installation because I thought the comp had frozen right at the point that the colored background screen appears. It was only when I got distracted by something and then came back about 10 minutes later that the installation GUI had appeared.

Comment

I ended up waiting for awhile and it slowly started installing. the drives (dvd AND hd) had no activity for about 15 minutes or so and then just started installing. It was super slow, but eventually got through it. Seems to be working fine now.

Comment

Way to go Sterling!! You hit the nail correctly. Glad it worked for you usaft!

Actually, this thread has helped me in my current situation, trying to load what I believe is a corrupted copy of XP Pro SP2. It loads and runs fine in IDE mode, but when I try to RAID, it won't boot due to "ntldr missing".

Is there a way to slipstream or something to get this SP version disk to boot?

Thanks

Comment

You can slipstream drivers with Nlite, or use a floppy and reinstall after you create your array and move the array to the top of the boot priority. I think I posted a long reply in your thread about this just a while ago though. Here is nlite >>>
                            nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

Some guides
                            MSFN - Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide - Page 1

maxEasyGuide: A) Slipstreaming SATA driver into WinXp boot cd using nLite

Comment

Thanks very much, Mr LSD guru. I have received both posts and most helpful. I will add a reply on the other post about my DQ6/boot issues there.

You and your advice are very much appreciated by me!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X