Incompatible CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incompatible CPU?

I don't know where else to turn with this. I bought an E8500 with the E0 stepping a couple of months ago and a GA-EP35-DS3L to go with it. My system works perfectly when I run it with my old Pentium D processor but I get no post with the E8500. I've updated the BIOS to F5 and then to F6a and it makes no difference. No beeps, no post, nothing.

I thought it was just a bad CPU so I RMA'd the E8500 to Intel and they sent me another one, but it has the exact same problem. I'm highly skeptical that I somehow got two different bad CPUs, so it has to be either a BIOS issue or a motherboard issue, right?

Is RMAing the board just a waste of time, since it works with the older cpu?

Is it even possible that there's some flaw with the board that would only prevent it from working with the e0?

Re: Incompatible CPU?

When you flash to the latest BIOS you do load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot correct? If not this is your issue as that CPU is supported from F5 up >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-EP35-DS3L

Reflash to the Latest and do that with your old CPU and only one stick of ram installed

Comment

I loaded the optimized defaults and saved it, used the jumpers to clear the CMOS, and put the new CPU in, but still nothing. It just cycles on for about 9 seconds then shuts off and does it again.

And as soon as I take the E8500 out and put the old Pentium D back in, everything boots right up.

Comment

check your ram setting .... the 2 chip are different multiplier.. lower the ram setting first ... boot in and then tweak

Comment

I said Load optimized after you clear the CMOS. And you MUST Clear it fully, So that you see a checksum Error when you start the system. See here, post # 2 for my method to clear the CMOS >>>

Even with the Pentium D installed this will work, just be sure to again load optimized when you switch the CPU's

Yes, you may want to set your ram multi to it's lowest and your CPU multi to the lowest you can and see if that will allow you to start with the new CPU without doing all the rest mentioned.

But, I would do as I suggested myself.

If you do that and it wont start still I would say it may likely be a bad CPU again? Can you test the CPU in another PC anywhere?

Comment

Hm, nothing worked.

I cleared the CMOS, loaded optimized defaults with the Pentium D, took out the Pentium D and put in the e8500, and it still won't post. Guess I just need to find a board that will work out of the box.

Comment

Clear the CMOS fully and put in the E8500 and THEN Load optimized if you get into the BIOS. Doing so beforehand will ready the BIOS for your Pentium D

Can you test this CPU in another board? You should not be having this much of a issue, maybe you do have a Faulty CPU.. It happens

Case speaker connected?

Comment

Working...
              X