GA-EP45-UD3P Will Not Power Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Will Not Power Up

I have tried another PS, still nothing. I have pulled the RAM and switched both sticks in slot 1 but have not put it, RAM, in another box. Have NOT removed the MOBO from the case. I am doing that now. I'm a bit concerned about pulling the CPU... I only have my 'Work' box that is running. I'm also concerned about using that box as a test bed. I need it for work today. I do have a second set of memory. It is 'CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory'. I'm thinking to try those in there. Could they be damaged by a broken MOBO? Don't want to loose those 2 sticks by plugging them in a bad MOGO. Is that a posibility?

Comment

SUCCESS!!

I pulled the MOBO out of the case and she came right up to the splash screen and crying for a boot disk.

I see my mistake was not using the fiber washers that were available with the stand-offs. At least I think that is the problem. I'm going to re-assemble the MOBO in the case and hopefully it will startup again.

THANKS to everyone who provided feedback. Once again the power of community come through!

I'l post pics of the project when it's complete. I'm doing a bit of 'modding' to the case.

Once again thanks to everyone!

Comment

Might also want to be sure to not over-tighten the screws that tie down the mobo to the standoffs. On one of my older builds I got some weird issues that cleared up when I loosened them up ever so slightly.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Glad to see you found the issue, good luck with the rest of your Build!!!

Comment

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and didn't mean to hijack this thread but it's closest thread to my problem. I do have a weird problem with mobo not starting up. The mobo starts up fine without the 2pin system fan but the problem is no case fans turns on at all. When i connect the system straight from P190's PSU the mobo doesn't start up at all while all system fans and pwr LED's are on etc...

I'm sure all the components are good because I had this setup in Antec 300 with 500W PSU and everything worked fine. The Antec P190 and 1200W PSU was working fine on other system setup right before I swapped them.

One other issue is I couldn't get the mobo to recognize my SATA drives. Current BIOS version is 6Fa.

Can someone please help on this matter?

Comment

Let me update on new findings after fiddling around with the connections. I hook up the SATA drives using the external connector provided by the case not the ones that comes straight from the PSU. I could only boot with 250g Samsung connected to the board. whenever i tried to add the raptor in the problem persists. Is raptor HD drawing too much power?

I did however got the system to boot to BIOS with 2 SATA drives connect to the board but after i save & exit the problem comes back again. System stops booting while all fans fully functional.

Comment

Welcome aboard, and sorry for the late reply I am a bit behind lately.

What PSU is this you are trying to use now? Please link me to it. I dont think any one Hard drive would cause a boot failure just on the amount of power it may need.

Can you test this raptor in another system to be sure it is Not DOA, it happens and can cause a NON Boot or NON Functional system

Are you sure you do not have a short between the board and the motherboard tray? That would also cause similar issues.

Do you have any external devices connected, if so remove them until you get it figured out. Meaning external Hard drives or USB devices

Have to ask, you do have the ATX 12V 8Pin connected and the 24Pin connected as well right? I know..... right, but sorry I have to ask to be sure

Have you started the board on a table or box with ONLY one stick of memory in slot one, the CPU/Heatsink, and the GFX Card and that is it? If not you may need to do that and then slowly plug things in one at a time until you find the culprit.

Comment

Here's the link for the dual PSU used for the P190 case.
                    Antec - P190 + 1200

I have some good news. I've gotten everything working including the 2 HD's on SATA the same time. System boots up fine with no double boot and OCed Q6600 at conservative speed 3GHz. But i do still have a minor annoyance/question that i can't figure out myself.

Like i stated before with system not booting up whenever raptor HD is connected to SATA. I figured it's has to do with power outage or something. So, I tried different connections to power up system fans, mobo, pcie vga, DVD roms, and the HD's. What i found out is that there's a certain way that makes the system not boot if i share 2 DVD ROM's and side fan (big boy fan) from 1 power line. 1 power line has 3 4-pin molex connector splits. I tried disconnecting the big boy fan and system boots up fine. Also, if i split those 3 connections with 2 seperate cords the system boots up fine as well.

Then i read on Antec and other reviews site saying that the 650W psu should be used to power up the mobo, cpu and vga cards. While the 550W psu should be used for any other drives (dvd, HD, fans and whatnot). I guess i had other drives sharing power with 650W psu but isn't it more than enough power to run all my config (single HD4850) with a single 650W psu?

Then i think to myself that could it be my power strip not capable to giving that much power to dual psu and 1 22in monitor? Should i buy a better power surge strip to or any wiring suggestions to the power outlet. I hope im explaining everything correctly to give you an idea what steps i went through to come up with these conclusions.

Comment

Nice to hear you got going finally!!

Hmm, that sounds like maybe the split rails in that one PSU are not done properly or are faulty. I would never use free PSU's that came with a case anyway but that's just me I am sure you chose it for a good reason so I will assume it is good PSU's. Maybe it is just a faulty one because no way 3 items on one plug should cause issues

Ya, I would think the same. If that 650W was a quality unit it should be able to run your WHOLE System plus some without issue

And no, I dont think your outlet strip would not be able to support all of that. You could easily test it by finding somewhere in your house where you could connect all three or two anyway, separately and see if the issue persists

Comment

Lsdmeasap thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

I actually got the P190 and including PSU from a friend for cheap. He bought the system last year and his setup was Abit IP35 Pro with 4x1G 800 OCZ memory and 8800GTX card and the psu served him well. I got the Q6600 and P190 case + PSU for 250 from him so i dont complain :) I just hope this PSU will last at least a year before I have to shell out any money for upgrade or replacement.

On another note, I have the Antec Neo HE500 to power his Abit IP35 Pro and I followed your diagnose steps taking the mobo out and test with minimum peripherals and came down to either the mobo or psu is faulty. The system doesn't post and stuck in reboot cycle. However i tried to use 500W to power an OLD system and it boots fine. Could it be just mobo and psu are incompatible with each other? I'm returning the psu and gonna try a new one tonight.

I know this is off topic for Abit mobo, but i hope you've heard something similar happened before or point me to the right direction/forum?

Thanks again!

Comment

WoW..just checked the review,sounds like a total massive psu combo for sure.
                          I often wondered why people didnt try and double up psus,it seems to be very compicated if you google it.
                          Can you /did you try it with either the 550 or 650 on their own?It looks like all the connections are on both supplies.
                          Like lsd was saying 650 should be plenty(Im only using 500w).
                          So what you have is 2 12v supplies each split into 3 rails of 18a supply approx?.
                          Most of us are using a single 12 supply split into 2 rails of18-20a I think.
                          All our "dual"12v psu's are just a single split in 2.
                          one side for cpu the rest for ancillary.gx hdds etc.
                          Are all the leads /molex connectors marked so you can see which is on which rail for each psu unit?
                          The only thing is.. are they just 2 inexpensive psus with the added circuitry to make em work together?
                          I also prefer the 120mm fan in the psu option,at least you know its blowing air over everything.
                          The cheaper ones have the 80mm exhaust type i think.
                          I bought a $20 cheap psu (480w)which I have for backup/in my other pc and it seems to work fine it came with sata(1) gx 6pin and cpu 4 pin not 8 but it does have the 80mm type fan :(.
                          Last edited by kick; 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM.
                          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks for chiming in, Kick.

The problem is the psu's are not fully functional by itself. Only the 650W has 12V ATX connectors (24pin and 8pin) and 3 6pin pcie connectors. AND only 550W has 5 rails for 4pin molex, sata and HDD power connectors. I know it sounds weird but it works somehow. At the moment i have all other unused rails unplugged from the 550W and only use 650W psu to power the mobo, cpu and 1 pcie graphic card (MSI HD 4850). So far everything is running fine. I suspect there will more power issue if i try to add additional SATA HD to this computer.

Comment

Sounds to me like you should just buy a good PSU, it is the MOST important part of your system. And since you have the board working otherwise I think it would be the PSU/PSU's together is the issue.

Ya, some PSU's can be incompatible with boards, I have seen this before, not often but it does happen. I just seen something not long ago not compatible with a 1000W PSU, reported by both companies to be true. Don't remember what either was though...

Don't get a cheap PSU either, as you will only end up in the same boat or worse.

About the Abit, a reboot cycle could be anything, but I would not suspect a PSU to cause that, but then again who knows. Did you try it with one stick of ram? Did you fully clear the CMOS? Was it working when you got it, for sure?

Comment

@lsd

So far everything is running flawlessly on the UD3P w/ dual PSU's. So I'm not going to change anything for now. I would love to know some BIOS tweaks or windows tweaks that would make my system running at top of its game.

For the Abit board, it was working in a system before i took it out to swap to a new board. It was working with Q6600 cpu and now i swapped a Q8200 in there. Yesterday I exchanged a BFG 550W LS series PSU and tried hook it up and same reboot cycle. At this moment I'm betting all my money on it's the Abit board somehow got messed up when swapping the components out. One thing worries me is that the stock heatsink/fan really bends the board like a concave shape at the cpu area. I thought the board might be short to the case but same thing happens when test everything out of the case. So I really don't know what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X