GIGABYTE ep45-ds3l compatibility problem with DVD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE ep45-ds3l compatibility problem with DVD drive

I bought Gigabyte ep45-ds3l mobo, but still struggling to get it completely working. I suspect some kind of incompatibility IDE port with my NEC dvd writer. Here is the story.
    I put e8400 int it and 4GB XMS2 memory. I could not get it even posted. I cleared CMOS, left just one stick of memory and it posted. I flashed the mobo to latest BIOS and did not have further problems with posting using two sticks. I proceeded with installing vista. Loaded from the DVD, chose install, and on next screen got a message that there is no media to install from. I was puzzled. After some thoughts, I came to conclusion that at that point loaded Vista does not see the drive (NEC DVD writer) any more. I connected my old Pioneer dvd-reader (slot load!) and rebooted again. After the error message, I just reinserted Vista DVD into pioneer and installed Vista. Once I got the OS installed it seemed no problem exists using my trusty NEC writer, I was able to read and write, but... I started to have strange effect. At some random points Vista looses NEC drive. The drive letter disappears and no possibility to access NEC drive until reboot. Next time it works some time (hours or even days), but eventually it disappears again. But pioneer works perfectly. I had NEC for couple years and used it with no issue at all.
    Any thoughts or known issues like that?

Re: GIGABYTE ep45-ds3l compatibility problem with DVD drive

Well, it could be a compatibility issue, or you could have a bad cable. Have you tried a new cable or other Jumper settings (Or drive placement in the cable) for it

You do have the Intel chipset drivers installed right? Just checking

Comment

I tried another brand new cable, still no go.
      I put my old Pioneer DVD reader on that location, works.
      Yes, I installed intel chipset drivers, still the same issue.
      For now I do not what to think off, so I went ahead and bought Samsung s202N DVD writer, want to check if compatibility will not be a problem with that drive.

Comment

Could just be it's age then I suppose? Do you have Native enabled in the BIOS?

Comment

Working...
        X