Upgrade question, EP45-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade question, EP45-UD3R

Hello all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I am new here and this is my first thread.<o:p></o:p>
    I have read quite a few of the posts and am impressed with both the knowledge and level of detail that people take time to respond. That means a great deal to me because someone is taking precious time out of their lives to dedicate detailed answers.<o:p></o:p>
    I will try not to take too much space yet at the same time provide hopefully enough detail [and hope I do not forget anything important].<o:p></o:p>
    The reason I am posting is I would like to know if it is worth it for me to upgrade my motherboard. I have an early version Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 4GB G.Skill 1066 DDR2, Intel E8600, ATI HD3870 X2 video card, an ancient XP-90 Thermalright CPU cooler adapted from a socket 478 to socket 775, Canon CanoScan 4200F scanner [I have a 64-bit driver], Windows XP Home 32-bit upgrade [no SP on the disk, Microsoft sent me SP2 on a separate CD], three SATA hard drives [2 WD, one Seagate], two PATA DVD burners, an early version Creative X-FI XtremeMusic, Encore TV Tuner Pro [may be 32 bit only], SS-650 HT Seasonic power supply, XS 1300 Back-UPS by APC.<o:p></o:p>
    I overclock and normally run my E8600 CPU at 4GHz, 1.28 volts with maximum temperatures around 41 or 42 degrees C under load at this time of year. This CPU easily reaches 4.3GHz at 1.32 volts and is stable at 4.5GHz using 1.38 volts. <o:p></o:p>
    I see no reason to use 4.5GHz because there are no programs that I run that tax it at 4GHz, and I do not like to push voltage beyond 1.37 volts.<o:p></o:p>
    My question is this, is there any valid reason for me to purchase a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard? Would there be any benefits?<o:p></o:p>
    In addition to the motherboard question I have an OS question.<o:p></o:p>
    I purchased a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM because I want to put a computer together for my daughter, I have extra hardware from previous builds, and was going to give her my current copy of Windows XP Home.<o:p></o:p>
    Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM was $79.99, so I went for it.<o:p></o:p>
    Are there any pitfalls or things I should do or watch out for when installing <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Vista</st1:place> 64-bit OEM? I do a little gaming, edit and convert movies I made with my Canon camera to DVD for family members [birthdays, weddings, etc.], and edit music [basic things, nothing on a professional level], and surf the internet for info and news regarding my interests.<o:p></o:p>
    I currently use IE8 beta 2 and I am not sure if MS has a 64-bit version.<o:p></o:p>
    Some of the programs I use are Microsoft Word 2002, Creative MediaSource 5 Organizer, Microsoft Photo Editor, Nero 6.6 Ultra, Canon ZoomBrowser EX, and PowerDVD. I also use programs such as HWMonitor, SpeedFan, 3DMark06, CleanCache 3, Driver Sweeper, and Glary Utilities.<o:p></o:p>
    I use BitDefender Anti-Virus Plus but if it will not work with 64-bit <st1:place>Vista</st1:place> I might pick up Norton Internet Security 2009, as it is supposed to finally be a good product.
    Thank you in advance. I know I am asking a great deal.<o:p></o:p>
    Arty
    MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Re: Upgrade question, EP45-UD3R

if your P35 is good ... no need to upgrade .... P45 is little better OC ... but you already there with p35... beside p45 is a big learnign curve ... so much more in Bios than p35.

no problem with vista64 oem ... i'm using that right now ... work good ... OEM is the same as regular just with out the packaging and warrante from microsoft.

Comment

I agree with the above. A huge difference in P45 BIOS compared to P35, and you will spend alot of time learning and tweaking before you get the same stable overclock as your P35

As for your programs with x64 vista you will be fine, it will run both 32 and 64 bit programs.

And I do suggest, even if bitdefender does not work for you which it should, that you avoid using norton. I have not used 2009, but I hear every year it is better, and it never is I think. All personal opinion there though, I do beta test for symantec but have not tested out any of the AV's for a while

Comment

godto and Lsdmeasap,

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate them very much.

I have used Norton products in the past and have hated nearly all of them. Here is a link that makes their security suite look promising.

Suites - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine
        MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H, CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz, Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler, TIM: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound [NOTE: I use Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Cleaner (1,2)], RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 24GB of 1866 CAS 9, SSD: Samsumg 850 Pro, Intel 335 series 240GB, HDs: WD Black 4TB, Video Card: MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE, Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z, Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660 watt, Case: Cooler Master 922 [with a 3rd 200mm fan in door], Windows 7 Pro, XS 1500 Back-Up UPS by APC

Comment

Ahh I would doubt it is any good, there is always some norton lovers that say the next one is better then before

I only use Eset products myself, and my PC's have loved me every since

Comment

I will look into Eset. Thank you for the heads up.

Comment

Good luck with whatever you decide!

And for sure post back anytime if you have any questions or issues

Comment

Working...
              X