Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3R CPU Fan at Maximum Speed !

I have a terrible problem:

I just bought this motherboard and the CPU fan works at full speed constantly!

It's driving me mad and nothing I do can lower its speed.

I tried using almost every BIOS version until I gave up (F5, F7 and F10), I tried using EasyTune 6 (with Vista 32-bit), I tried choosing all three SmartFan settings in the BIOS (Auto, Enabled, Disabled) ... Nothing helps!

My fan is a Zalman 8700 LED. It's connected directly to the motherboard using its 3-pin connector and without using FanMate 2 (in order to enjoy SmartFan which should control the RPM according to temperature).

Now let me tell you - this fan running at 2500RPM is LOUD!

I used this fan with my previous motherboard (connected directly too), GA-P35C-DS3R Rev. 2.0 and SmartFan and EasyTune (5) worked beautifully. However, it worked only with F2 BIOS. Updating to any newer BIOS screwed it up and the fan would run at full speed constantly just like my new board does.

This proves that this is a BIOS solvable issue.

I wrote to Gigabyte tech support, but they simply made me so angry and blamed everything but their board: They said it's either the fan or the BIOS or something "else" in my computer, but THEY are not to blame, god forbid.

They even said I should replace the CPU fan but they cannot promise that the new one will work properly. Is this ridicules or what???

I am so pissed at Gigabyte by not taking responsibility on this serious matter.

I am still waiting for a reply from them, although I'm not expecting much.

I don't know why I keep buying their boards after so many disappointing tech support experiences with them.

Is anyone experiencing this problem too?
    Is there any solution to this terrible problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: EP45-DS3R CPU Fan at Maximum Speed !

From ZALMAN 8700 LED if directly connected to the motherboard’s power connector without the use of FanMate2.
    Last edited by stasio; 11-28-2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Gantlett

Hi. It seems like you just need to do the following:

1. Be sure that your 3-pin fan is connected to 4-pin CPU_FAN connector on motherboard.
      2. Set a option 'CPU Smart Fan Control' in BIOS to value 'Enabled' instead of 'Disabled'.
      3. Because your fan is 3-pin and doesn't supports PWM your should set a option 'CPU Smart Fan Mode' in BIOS to value 'Voltage' instead of 'Auto'.
      4. Reboot your machine.
      5. Enjoy the silence
      Last edited by HPS; 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
        The fan operates at 2,550rpm if directly
        Just as any standard CPU fan would (i.e., operate at its maximum speed).
        However, this is where SmartFan comes into play (or at least should...)

I used this fan exactly the same way with a GA-P35C-DS3R Rev. 2.0 motherboard and SmartFan worked flawlessly.

HPS -

I don't have 'CPU Smart Fan Mode'.
        I only have 'CPU Smart Fan Control'.

Even when I press Ctrl F1 nothing more is revealed.

Comment

Gantlett

Oh, sorry. I thought this option is available on EP45-DS3R as well as on EP45-UD3R.

Comment

Ya, seems the P45-DS3R does not have mode even in the manual? Silly Gigabyte, several P35 models were the same as well

Well what you can do is once you enable smart fan control you can control it with Easytune 6

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Silly Gigabyte, several P35 models were the same as well
              Thanks lsd

I'd say they are more than silly - they've started to release 3rd grade products unfortunately... They've been known for a good and reliable motherboard manufacturer for so many years, but lately they've decided to "go with the herd" and start releasing new models every week without worrying too much about reliability.

I mean - SmarFan is an advertised feature of this product which does not work.

That's serious - only Gigabyte doesn't seem to think so...

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Well what you can do is once you enable smart fan control you can control it with Easytune 6
              I already tried that (I tried Auto and Enabled) and EasyTune 6 (on Vista Ultimate 32-bit) doesn't do anything to the fan.

Comment

I agree, have you asked tech support why this is they leave out the Modes on certain models? I would for sure write in and ask to see what they tell you, link them up with this thread as well >>>
                GIGABYTE - Support - Technical Service Zone

Comment

Update:

This is the correspondence between me and Gigabyte:

<table class="quote"><tbody><tr class="none"><td>
                  Thank you for your kindly mail and sorry for the replying late. About the issue you mentioned, because there are too many kinds of cooling fans available in the retail market, it is very difficult to test all of the modules with our MB products, and because we only test the motherboard with the cooling fan which bundled with the CPU, that's why we suggest you can try to test your system with the cooling fan which came with your CPU (not to buy a new one) to see if there's a fan or motherboard problem in the previous letter.
                  </td></tr></tbody></table>

He said "not buy a new one" because I asked him in the previous email if he expects me to simply throw my 100$ CPU fan to the garbage.

And according to your further description, because the F2 BIOS of GA-P35C-DS3R support both "Voltage" and "PWM" fan control mode, and the "Voltage" mode has no longer supported by the BIOS of GA-EP45-DS3R (it only support PWM mode), so if your cooling fan only support voltage mode but does not support PWM mode, then your cooling fan will always runs in full speed. And if you want to use the Smart Fan feature properly on GA-EP45-DS3R, please kindly make sure your cooling fan support PWM mode.

This was my response:

Why did you stop supporting "Voltage" mode? This means, still, that I cannot work with my CPU fan and enjoy the benefits of SmartFan.

99% of the CPU fans in the market which have been produced for the past several years are standard 3-pin DC fans. Do you realize that by not supporting DC fans you are making 99% of your customers throw their perfectly good CPU fans and buying new ones???

My Zalman 8700 CPU fan is only 14 months old and by no means am I going to let you render it obsolete!

I purchased a new Gigabyte motherboard because I expected it to work EXACTLY as my previous one did.

You said:
                  "We suggest you... test your system with the cooling fan which came with your CPU (not to buy a new one)"

and then you said:
                  "If you want to use Smart Fan... on GA-EP45-DS3R... make sure your cooling fan support PWM mode."

Then you --ARE-- telling me to throw my CPU fan to the garbage (or "upgrade" it, which is the same thing as far as I'm concerned) because IT DOES NOT SUPPORT PWM.

Also, it has come to my attention that you DO support "Voltage" fans in other P45 motherboards you're currently producing, GA-EP45-UD3P among them.

So there is NO reason for you not to add Voltage support to the EP45-DS3R.
                  None whatsoever.

This is just a BIOS programming matter and it can be easily resolved.

You said:
                  "It is very difficult to test all of the modules with our MB products".

But this isn't about "testing" my specific fan, this is about COMPLETELY IGNORING every DC fan in the global market. You deliberately disabled DC support for cpu fans - this is not because the fans are incompatible with your product -
                  YOUR PRODUCT IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE FANS!!

When I buy Gigabyte products I buy them because I KNOW that their products are RELIABLE and DELIVER what they promise.

I TRUST Gigabyte to solve problems like this.

I EXPECT Gigabyte to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY when problems like this arise, especially when it is OBVIOUS that they are responsible for the problem in the first place and that they have the power to remedy it.

It is GIGABYTE's responsibility to fix this SERIOUS MATTER!

I'm still waiting for a reply since Wednesday.

Comment

Ya, Sounds silly to me. I mean I know they make the boards to work with the CPU Stock coolers, but some Supported CPU's only come with a 3pin header as well, and voltage mode would be desired with that for sure

Ya, P35 and P45 have several board models that DO NOT have Voltage as a option, but several others do! You are right, it should be a norm in ALL BOARD MODELS!!!

You should not have to buy a premium board to use a cheaper (3pin) fan on it! That is counterproductive really.

Yes, My P45 has voltage for sure, as should ALL Gigabyte boards >>>

They (Gigabyte) even sell 3pin CPU Coolers themselves as I have one in my office on a older setup. One of these to be exact, So I suppose they would tell you this is unsupported by your board right?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GH-PDU21-MF Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Makes sense for sure that Gigabyte motherboards would not support 3pin fans ............

Comment

Working...
                    X