• Show
Clear All

• ex58-ud5 not booting: error 'b9/bf'

Hi all, first time poster here :). I've just brought my new system:
    Core i7 920 CPU
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard
    Corsair DDR3 RAM.
    8800GT

When I try to boot the system, nothing shows on screen. The error code display on the motherboard shows 'b9' then after a minute or so seems to do a soft reboot. Occasionally when I boot it I get 'b2' instead which sits there forever.

I've checked the CPU is seated correctly, confirmed the GPU works fine in another machine, and tested with each of the three sticks of DDR3 I have seperately. Nothing seems to help!

I looked in the manual but there's no info for 'bx' error codes at all. I thought it might have been a '6' as the first digit, but top bar of the 7-segment display wasn't on, and it should only get to the 6x steps after stuff is printed to the screen.

I've reset the BIOS with the button on the back and removed everything but the mobo, ram, cpu, psu. I can't think of what else to do as nothing even comes up on the screen :(.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: ex58-ud5 not booting: error 'b9/bf'

82h 1. Call chipset power management hook
    2. Recover the text fond used by EPA logo (not for full screen logo)
    3. If password is set, ask for password

89h 1. Assign IRQs to PCI devices
    2. Set up ACPI table at top of the memory

Maybe this 2 errors ?

Your ddr3 1,65 volts right ? Cos default boot will give 1.5 volts, if one rated 2 v may not be able to run so low.
    Last edited by ghigo; 11-28-2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

CMOS reset with button on back need a lot of seconds pressed, not sure how many exactly but i do 10 secs.

You putting the single ram module in the 2nd slot from the cpu side right ?

Maybe try also replug all the power cables on the MB , if missed do it
      Last edited by ghigo; 11-28-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghigo View Post
        You putting the single ram module in the 2nd slot from the cpu side right ?
        ok I'm really dumb... It works now... thanks :D

Comment

Np, happy helped solve your prob

Comment

Nice to see you got it, I was about to suggest you try with one stick of ram until you can get in the BIOS and make some changes.

Mind posting what you did to fix it or how you figured out the issue so others may find the answer later if they search for those error codes?

Thanks

Comment

All I had to do was change the slots the RAM was in from blue to white. Booted fine after that.

I still haven't managed to get Windows installed (Ubuntu works fine, but XP, Vista AND Server 2008 all crash at some point during the install) but I'm not 100% sure it's related to the mobo/CPU yet. I'll start a new thread if I need more help. Thanks again :)

Comment

Hmm, that sounds like SATA Driver or settings issues to me? You sure you have all of that setup correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Hmm, that sounds like SATA Driver or settings issues to me? You sure you have all of that setup correct?
                  What part of the settings in particular? I was testing with the included drivers for all installers, I will poke them again with Intel's latest over the xmas break.

Comment

Well it depends on how you are trying to install as to what drivers you may or may not need. And what ports you are using to plug your disks into matters as to what settings you set in the integrated peripherals BIOS page.

Tell me what drives you have plugged into what # and color ports on the board, and then post a image of your integrated peripherals BIOS page. Also let me know how you are trying to install AHCI/RAID/IDE

Comment

Originally posted by checkers View Post
                      All I had to do was change the slots the RAM was in from blue to white. Booted fine after that.
                      For all users EX58:
                      @ white slots

Well guys, read the manual, its on page 17, you MUST populate the white slots (DDR3_1, DDR3_3, DDR3_5) at first if you want to run triple channel. Else the memory controller switches to dual channel mode and you lose one stick.

It is no wired issue, its designed that way.

Comment

Thanks Stasio

Always

And to anyone who is wondering, those are smilies... Thus not meant offensively

Comment

I am getting the same error but it does not work, even when i try using the 1st white memory slot to test one stick of 2gb corsair 1333 mhz ram on my ex58-ud5 motherboard.

I am getting the following post error code on the mobo: 29

Video does not work!

My system was working just fine until I replaced 3gb of Patriot Ram with 6gb Corsair. and also I upgraded the video card from 256 to 1 gb Evga geforce card. Now, I am not sure if i will be able to recover the system to its original state.

Anyone able to resolve this issue? any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Considering RMA.. thanks,

sam

Comment

Working...
                          X