SATA Jumper for UD3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA Jumper for UD3?

I have the GA-EP45-UD3R and 4 SATA HDs. I didn't install the SATA drivers at install. I set the Bios as follows:

RAID/AHCI mode.............[Disabled]
    Port0-3 Native Mode........[Enabled]

and (further down):

Onboard SATA/IDE Device.....[Disabled]
    x Onboard SATA IDE Control Mode...IDE

Everything is fine with this bios, but I just threw in another 750 GB HD and noticed the jumper. I thought it might be prudent to ask if this setup would perform better with the limiting jumper removed (or if it even can under this bios setup and no SATA startup drivers at install)?

Re: SATA Jumper for UD3?

Yes, you can and should remove the jumper

Where (What color ports) do you have your drives connected to? Yellow would be best, especially for your OS drive.

Drivers are only needed at pre-install for XP or if you want to use RAID on vista (Vista includes AHCI drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Yes, you can and should remove the jumper

Where (What color ports) do you have your drives connected to? Yellow would be best, especially for your OS drive.
      Yes, all drives are connected to the yellow connectors (actually, orange to my eyesight...). All connectors are filled...4 HDs, 1 DVD drive and one by the e-sata bracket. I don't have any drives plugged into the GSATA (purple) connectors. 2 drives are posted as 'slaves (I guess because I'm in IDE mode...)

Drivers are only needed at pre-install for XP or if you want to use RAID on vista (Vista includes AHCI drivers)
      Not really interested in RAID, but I understood that installing the AHCI drivers after the install present a few issues that that require a workaround, as found here:

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

But I really wasn't concerned because the performance gain was said to be minimal and I don't really 'game'. It would be nice to be able to hot-swap for the e-sata, though (if I understand correctly, hot swap is only available when using AHCI drivers). Is the workaround at the link really required with Vista?

I have removed the jumper. I'm not sure if there's any performance gain, but I'm not sure if I would know, given that the drive in question is a 750GB storage drive w/3 partitions for media, drivers and utilities, and apps (although perhaps the apps partition might show a gain...). Plus, this is a new drive, so I haven't really any previous performance to compare it to.

Thanks for your comments,
      Vanderman

Comment

Yes, sorry about the orange/yellow comment. Some have both and some are either or depending on what the factory used that day

Yes you can install AHCI after the OS but as you see it can be tricky.

Although vista has AHCI drivers by default they would not be installed with the system unless you selected AHCI in the BIOS beforehand so yes you would need to try that method or others if you wanted to attempt to enable AHCI. If you would like some more pages about trying that let me know and I will post some.

AHCI enables Hot-swap and NCQ, but yes other then that the speed increase is often minimal other then in benchmarks and it will slow your boot time

By removing that jumper you enabled SATAII instead of SATAI is all, most disks unless in RAID Do not even use SATAI speeds so you would not see a gain in jumpered or non jumpered anyway unless you had that disk in RAID

So.... Unless you want to try AHCI and have the time/patience you are good to go as is

Comment

Hello again, Lsdme,

Thanks for your responses. I guess, for now, I'll leave it as is. Hot swapping is not essential anyway. I will probably load W7 soon, anyway, so I will load the AHCI drivers then. Appreciate all the info on the forum. It helped me to figure out the bios (It's been only a few years since I built a machine, but a lot has changed...).

Thanks again,
          Vanderman

Comment

Sounds like a good plan!

Ya P45 has changed the BIOS alot!

Please do post back anytime if you have some BIOS questions, I would be happy to help

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Sounds like a good plan!

Ya P45 has changed the BIOS alot!

Please do post back anytime if you have some BIOS questions, I would be happy to help
              Just an update. I ordered an Akasa Front Sata Port Panel

Akasa PC Front Panel with SATA Data/Power

last week and installed it a few days ago. Of course, this kind of device begs to be used for hot swapping, so I did a little more research and recognized that the link I posted earlier was for XP, not Vista.

I found the following link, which makes belated AHCI enablement in Vista a snap:

Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

The instructions there are a single registry edit and to be implemented *only* if you enable AHCI for the boot drive (reg edit before bios change).

I only enabled AHCI for the Gsata controller, so I didn't edit the registry, but I am considering enabling the sata 0-5 controller. Anyway, I plugged a sata drive into the Akasa and up popped auto-play, ready to show me my files. ANd when you're finished with the drive, just use "safely remove hardware" from the system tray.

Vanderman
              Last edited by Vanderman; 11-29-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Another Update:

I did indeed use the process in my follow up post, and this method does indeed work without any apparent negative results thus far.

Vanderman

Comment

Nice to see! Thanks for posting back your results from the above info

Comment

Vanderman,
                    where is the hard drive "jumper" located?
                    Last edited by w6kkt; 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by w6kkt View Post
                      Vanderman,
                      where is the hard drive "jumper" located.
                      On the back of all seagate drives there is a very small white jumper on pins on the right of the SATA port. This limits the hard drives transfer to 1.5gb/s to improve compatability with older raid controlers.

Just for refrence the new 1.5tb does not come with them because they feell its beyond the limit of SATA 1 so compatibility will be less of an issue as noone with a sata1 limited board will look to a 1.5tb drive.

Comment

Yes, that is where you will find it, and it will be VERY SMALL!!!

Comment

Thanks for the information. I thought maybe I had overlooked a jumper on the mb. I just built this new system and have been chasing my tail for the last three days, trying to get my "Acronis 8.0" or "G4U-2.3" backup programs to clone my drives in less than 20 hours (1.8KB/sec), thinking I had missed something in bios or jumper on mb. Turns out both programs will not work properly with new system. I downloaded free "Glonzilla 1.2.1-23" which works very well and very fast clone (1.8 gigs/min). Now I can sleep like a baby!
                          This is my first Gigabyte MB. Needless to say it is very impressive.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for posting back!

So this "Glonzilla 1.2.1-23" works with SATA and or RAID or no? Please do link me up if you can, I will find it but just wanted a link posted for others later if they find this thread

And I take it you meant Clonezilla right?

Comment

Working...
                            X