Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD3R and 8gb of cheap Corsair

Howdi :)

Ive got a q6600 here which i got in a sale and am looking for a good motherboard and ram combo. Ive seen some favourable info on the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R etc so am seriously considering a purchase. However, I know the p45 can be sensative to large chunks of ram, and as I do a lot of 3D rendering etc I was hoping to put cheap but reliable 8Gigs (4x2gb) into it. However Im a little unsure which to choose as Gigabyte and memory manufacturors dont really give a lot of compatability information on this board.

Here in the UK we dont have a huge range at reasnoble prices. However, I could get a couple of packs of these Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

or possibly a couple of these

OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Platinum Performance CL5 (5-4-4-18) - Ebuyer

Any comments or suggestions on the chances of getting all 8gigs working stable?

Cheers in advance :)

Re: UD3R and 8gb of cheap Corsair

Originally posted by steelsky View Post
    Howdi :)

Ive got a q6600 here which i got in a sale and am looking for a good motherboard and ram combo. Ive seen some favourable info on the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R etc so am seriously considering a purchase. However, I know the p45 can be sensative to large chunks of ram, and as I do a lot of 3D rendering etc I was hoping to put cheap but reliable 8Gigs (4x2gb) into it. However Im a little unsure which to choose as Gigabyte and memory manufacturors dont really give a lot of compatability information on this board.
    I just built a machine with the GA-EP45-UD3R, 8GB RAM and a Q9550.

You can read more about the board here:

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3P motherboard - [H]ard|Forum

I used RAM that was recommended at the linked thread. G-Skill, $45 for 2x2 GB. $90 give or take for 8GB..not a bad deal:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

As for the board (and its 8GB G-Skill), I've been happy. Very stable, responsive, no issues and the entire 8 GB was recognized at start up. The thread I linked to is fairly long and should give you assurance in the purchase.

Vanderman

Comment

I should also add that I am not OCing the cpu or RAM and all memory timings are factory.

Comment

Thanks a lot Vanderman - Ill deffo check that out and the g.skill memory (see how cheap it is here).. Ta!

Anyone got any other comments on the other ram?

Comment

Hmmm... just looked and cant really get hold of the g.skill stuff here ... or its higher rated and quite pricey... any other ideas?

Comment

from my experience .... the C4 will work better because easier to OC up little to run 800 ... some time C5 you will need to underclock and raise voltage little to run all 4 bank of ram ... but i don't see why you can't load 4 ...
            i'm right now running 8 gig of 1066 ... but underclock to 940 ...
            i wish i bought 800 and OC it up .. would save about $100 dollar ... all the ram i ever come across can OC up to 900-950 easy with out problem.

Comment

Originally posted by steelsky View Post
              Hmmm... just looked and cant really get hold of the g.skill stuff here ... or its higher rated and quite pricey... any other ideas?
              The Corsair is not that much higher. But here is a link to Corsair's configurator:

Welcome to Corsair :: Memory Configurator

And one for crucial:

Computer memory upgrades for Giga-Byte GA-EP45-UD3 (rev. 1.0) Motherboard from Crucial.com

They don't have the UD3R listed, but the linked results are respectively)for the UD3P and the UD3. The boards are identical aside from features (Including, I think, SLI). But you likely could call Corsair or Crucial and verify compatibility with the UD3R. Verifying compatibility is highly recommended (if you don't already know...).

Either company should be happy to answer any questions.

Vanderman

Comment

Mushkins would also work great in that board if you can get them, as well as the above mentioned Crucial and also GeIL and A-Data

Comment

lol, id love to get those but mushkins dont seem to exist here :(... bluddy UK pah. Crucial is available but only at CL6 :(

Something I did discover was that like you say the UD3R isnt in the Corsair isnt in the list. However, it actually is there but they have miss-placed it - its in the ABIT section?????

Here is the direct link Welcome to Corsair :: Memory Configurator

but if ya do a full search and look for motherboards in 1, Abit in 2, and then scrole down to Fatality section (in 3) its just under there - or ya can just paste GA-EP45-UD3R into the manufacturor model name search box.

Strange isnt it?

on that page it does say it will support the cheaper XMS2 ram which is cool ... but doesnt say if it wud take all for slots full lol

In reply to what Godto said before - How much of a problem is the C5 ram - does it only run into those problems when heavily overclocking the CPU or is it even an issue at stock speeds?

Comment

Maybe you should shop ebay, there is plenty of Mushkin and Crucial sales that ship worldwide. If you need some help finding something like that on ebay let me know

You can run CAS 4 or 5 with 8GB easy, just may need some tweaking, no need to get CAS 6 for sure though if that is what you were thinking

Comment

Cheers LSD... ill have a look around and maybe get back to ya ;)

Comment

Good luck in your shopping adventure!

Comment

Working...
                        X