GA-X48-DS5 LGA 775 Blue Screen of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DS5 LGA 775 Blue Screen of Death

Hi everyone. This looks like the spot to get some good help.
    I am working on a new build and can only get about 30%-50% through the file expansion part of the vista install before I get a blue screen of death. All the hardware shows up in BIOS including the memory. I feel like I am setting something wrong in the BIOS to make it unstable. Can someone with a stable setup using roughly the same hardware post their setting so that I can rule this out as the cause.

Components:
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 motherboard
    Sapphire 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB videa card
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale proecessor
    Corsair Dominator 4GB(2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM PC28500 memory
    WD caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB SATA 3.0 hard drive
    Samsung 22x DVD Burner with LightScribe SATA DVD

I have the hard drive hooked up to the yellow SATA ports and the DVD burner hooked up to the Purple one.

Thanks in advance.

Re: GA-X48-DS5 LGA 775 Blue Screen of Death

What settings do you have set for both controllers in the Advanced BIOS page? The middle ones are for the purple ports. Post a image if you like

Please try with one stick of ram, 2x2 needs some adjustments for sure from Auto/defaults.

One stick of ram with your ram voltage set and things in auto should work and you can then install vista without issues. Then once you get that done I can help you with your settings. Please link me to your exact ram and I will advise. Fill this out with what you are using so I can see where you are CPU wise and I will advise back optimal ranges >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was able to finish the install of Vista using the 1 stick of ram trick. I had tried it earier but there was something else causing me to get the "BOOT_MGR" error so didn't see it work. This time it did. Vista now runs somewhat stable. I still get a whole bunch of errors and an occasional blue screen of death, and I can't seem to load in any of my game disks without an error message about corrupted files. I'm sure I just have some other stuff set wrong. I have gone through ad updated all my drivers. Here is a list of my settings.

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [AUTO]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 Auto
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 Auto
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5 Auto
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18 Auto

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3 Auto
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 Auto
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 Auto
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52 Auto
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3 Auto
      Static tRead Value_______________ 7 Auto
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1 [Auto]

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
      Loadline Calibration [Auto]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled] <== Didn't see this
      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled] <== Didn't see his
      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC <== Didn't see this

This is the ram that I have installed.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB &#40;2 x 2GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 &#40;PC2 8500&#41; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Thanks again for the help

Integrated Peripherals
      Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Ok, nice to see you got installed!

Have you tested each stick of ram at stock with memtest86+? If not you should, do that test with manually set ram voltage, manually set MAIN timings, performance enhance standard, and the advanced timings all on Auto. Be sure your memory multi is 3.20 so you ram is at stock speed.

Test each stick about 5-10 passes to be sure you did not get a faulty stick, here is the latest Version (Or at least use Version 2.01) >>>>
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Here would be optimal settings for both sticks installed >>>

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [AUTO]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
        Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1 [Auto] << Always Auto

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal] << +0.2-0.3 << Needed for stable 2x2GB
        Loadline Calibration [Auto]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] << Auto

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled] <== Didn't see his << This should for sure be there! You did load and apply optimized defaults when you installed your CPU/built your system right? Are you using the latest BIOS? If not please update to it and load optimized defaults after you flash and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS and set all your DISK Settings again <<< THIS IS A MUST!!!!

DO NOT USE @BIOS!!!! Here is a Qflash guide >>>

Comment

Thanks again LSD. I did load the optimized defaults when I installed the system. I was holding off on loading the latest BIOS after reading a few of the guides on here suggest it should be a last resort thing to do if everything else fails.

After doing some research I found out that some of the problems I'm having with Vista is due to the security features of Vista with file settings and permissions. I'll check out the settings you gave me and run the mem test. So far I'm pretty impressed with the board. All that copper on the front sure is nice. I'm running with a system temp of 29 C and CPU temp of 27 C. That is of course without running any games yet.

Comment

Ahh Well if you are not seeing the above mentioned feature then you should flash as your CPU is not being recognized properly. It is a simple thing to do as long as you read all info ahead of time. Not reading about flashing procedure do's and dont's is what gets people into sticky situations and spread alot of flashing fear.

Since your CPU is not recognized, that is for sure a great reason to be updating your BIOS.

Vista! Well, disable that UAC, it is one of the first things I do. If you want to, click your user image on the start menu, then click "Turn User Account Control on or off" and uncheck that box hit ok and reboot

Since your CPU is not being picked up you should for sure update your BIOS, What version are you using now anyway? You can check with CPU-z (Mainboard tab) or hit F9 on the MAIN Page of the BIOS. I see 8500 is supported from F5 onwards, so maybe you have F4 or something. If you have F5 or above then maybe you overlooked EIST

Comment

Flashed the bios with the F8a updated bios. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just download the files, put them on a thumb drive, and then follow easy steps using qflash in BIOS. Thanks for the guide. I'm seein gthe EIST now and have that set. I'm still not seeing the

but maybe I'm jsut overlooking it.

Biggest problem I am having now is running the memory at the stock settings. With the voltages bumped like you suggested, I am very stable at 800mhz but very unstable at 1066mhz. I haven't had much time to play with the memtest application yet. Do I download the ISO or the binary files? do I just click on it to use it? I can tinker with settings once I know how to use the memtest to try and get it stable at 1066.

Another area I could use some advice on is settings for my hard and DVD drives. What settings should I have turned on and off in BIOS. I just want to have a basic single hard drive that is split into 4 partitions with the first one being the boot postition. which Sata ports should I have each plugged into. When I initially started out, I couldn't get things to work unless I had one plugged into the yellow ports and one in the yellow. With, ACHI and native mode enabled 0 3

Thanks again for the help.
              Last edited by skoehler9; 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

disregard that last post. I just started reading the overclockers guide and can stop being lazy and look the stuff up myself :)

Comment

Great to hear back from you with good news!!

That setting is CPU/board Dependant and will not always be available, so ignore it if you do not see it

You want to download ISO if you do not have a floppy. Here is how to burn a CD ISO Image >>>
                  How to Write ISO Files to CD

Then you just hit F12 at bootup and choose boot from CD and it will run by itself

I would need to see your full settings to tell you why 1066 is not working for you

As for your disks/cd drives.

You should plug your Hard drive into yellow port 0, and your cd drives if SATA into port 3

Here would be settings for both your controllers >>>

Yellow ports/Intel Controller

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge) .... Disabled or AHCI (If you used AHCI Driver at install)
                  SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge) ...... Enabled

Gigabyte/J.Micron Purple Ports

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... Enabled if you use these ports, or Any IDE Devices
                  Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) .........IDE

Did you install with AHCI driver? If so use AHCI Above.

Then go into Advanced BIOS page and into Hard Disk Boot Priority and move your drive by name to the Top that has your OS on it

Comment

Hmmm... still can't seem to get the ram steady at 1066. Noticing some occasional chopiness too. think I'm going to back the bios down one level off of the beta version and see if that helps.

Offhand LSD, do you know what the safe range for MCH voltage is?

thanks

Comment

I think I was right that I need to step back the bios. This is what I found on the Gigabyte web site for anyone that is using this board. It shows which bios you should have for which CPU.

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12MB Yorkfield 45nm E0 95W 1333 --> F8a
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB Yorkfield 45nm E0 95W 1333 --> F8a
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB Yorkfield 45nm C1 95W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12MB Yorkfield 45nm C1 95W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB Yorkfield 45nm R0 95W 1333 --> F8a
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz 6MB Yorkfield 45nm M1 95W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz 4MB Yorkfield 45nm R0 95W 1333 --> F8a
                      Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB Yorkfield 45nm M1 95W 1333 --> F8a
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm E0 65W 1333 --> F7
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm C0 65W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm E0 65W 1333 --> F7

Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm C0 65W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm E0 65W 1333 --> F7
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8300 2.83GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm C0 65W 1333 --> F7
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm C0 65W 1333 --> F5
                      Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8190 2.66GHz 6MB Wolfdale 45nm C0 65W 1333 --> F5
                      Last edited by skoehler9; 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

That is not which you should have for which. That is what BIOS initially supports your CPU, so you need F5 or F7 and above depending on your CPU. Any above the one that supports your CPU is also supported and suggested

MCH Safe range would be +.35, above that I would be using a fan on the heatsink for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X