GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Last edited by Ricibob; 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM.

Re: GA-73PVM-S2H Vista regular Freeze/Lockup

Small update:
    Ran memtest+ 2.10 over night - 20 passes - no errros.

Comment

Hmm, freezing is often drivers or ram settings. Please do post how your overnight tests go.

Do you have performance enhance set to standard? Tried disable Legacy USB storage detect?

Comment

Hi

Yep so memtest overnight was ok - no errors.
        Also this morning I ran 5 runs of IntelBurnTest - everything fine there - no problems at all (which is consistent with the fact that it doesnt freeze playing games etc).
        Legacy USB storage detect was enabled - Ive disabled that now.
        <dumb nube question>"performance enhance"? I couldnt see anything bios relating to that - could you give me more info?
        I dont know if relivent but:
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Enabled]
        CPU eist Function [Enabled]
        </dumb nube question>
        I've just left the machine idle now with legacy usb off - normally freezes in 6 hours or so - so will wait now and see.
        Cheers for help.

Comment

It may or may not be in your BIOS. Try the hotkey on the main page to be sure. Press Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS and then go into MIT section

If you are overclocking At all these should be disabled >>>
          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled] << Disable
          CPU EIST Function [Enabled] << Disable

Every 6 hours? Close to always that long exactly? Hmmm, let us know how she acts now then

If you do have room you may want to point a 80mm Fan at your card, just to add some airflow over it since it is passive and you likely have a tight case right?

Comment

Quick update:

To clarify Im still running on the mobo graphics card having remove completely the passive 3650 to illiminate overheating as a possible cause. Same issues persists.
            Ive turned off legacy usb and disabled the 3 cpu functions (CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU eist Function) for good measure.
            Machine is running very cool. Memtesk ok, intel burn test ok.
            Issue persists.

Its a basically a MediaCenter machine and Im running TVPack2008 (an recentish update to MediaCenter) - Im wondering if there is not a software issue related to that that is causing instability.
            Does a software issues seem a possible cause?
            Im going to reinstall from scratch with out tvpack and test stability on a virgin install.

If any one has any better suggestions Im all ears....

Comment

Yes, software and or drivers can cause those types of issues for sure! Great to hear you are up for a clean install, now you will know if it is the software.

If it is not, then you have to likely have a ram settings issue, voltage issue ? or possibly faulty ram? Many things can cause your issues, if you do get BSOD's on a clean install try to get the BSOD code

Comment

A quick update to close this issue:
                Prior to doing an reinstall I removed all hardware (graphic card, 2 Tv tunners, Wifi card etc).. and the machine became stable. Putting each card back I found the culprite to be the DLink DWA-556 Draft N PCIe x1 Wifi card.

When I installed the card I used the Vista located driver which shows in device manager as Atheros Communications Inc 7.4.2.75 from 07.05.2008. I havent yet tried with the latest driver from the dlink site (2.10b02 from 18.04.2008). If I find a driver that fixes the issue I'll post back - but for the moment Im going to run a cable an used a wired network.

Other than the freezing of the machine removing the card solves a host of other small stability issues I was having that I thought were not related (eg MediaExtender not running properly, instability of MediaCenter etc)...
                Thanks Lsdmeasap for your help and moral support on this. Im glad to finally have a system that can stay up for more than a few hours

Comment

Nice find and thanks for posting back your findings!

Ya, I would try the latest direct from the site to see if that helps any, if no you may just need to buy a new wireless card.. I use a cheap PCI Gigabyte one, cost $20 and works great. Let me know if you would like a link

Comment

Working...
                  X