EP35-DS3L and RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3L and RAID

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldnt find it in the search.

I'd like to build a RAID 0 array and be able to boot off of it. Obviously, the ICH9 chipset doesnt have built-in RAID capability, so I'll need to buy a RAID add-in card to do it. My question/concern is that in the motherboard manual, it doesnt list "Bootable Add-In Card" as an option in the First/Second/Third Boot Device menus.

So is it possible to create a bootable RAID array using this motherboard?

Re: EP35-DS3L and RAID

your motherboard is not RAID ... need EP35-DS3R ... R is raid ready ...

i do add on a card to my EP35C-DS3R ( even those i already have but need more Sata .. run 10 drive + 2 dvd burnner ) ... and use Raid on that .. just make sure fo into boot priority ... move the Raid partition to the top... that all
    Last edited by godto; 11-20-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asoccerplayer99 View Post
      My question/concern is that in the motherboard manual, it doesnt list "Bootable Add-In Card" as an option in the First/Second/Third Boot Device menus.
      Either the BIOS really does not allow that option (which IMO would not be polite) or the manual shows a screen taken without add-in card in system.

Google finds: InsanelyMac Forum > BOOT RAID for < $30 (and without reinstalling)
      But can you trust the net?

There is an another option though. Only the 'ntloader', 'boot.ini' etc has to be on "Drive C:" for Windows installation. The actual "OS" can be on different volume. Therefore, a tiny boot drive on ICH9, and the rest on RAID0 would pretty much do the same as booting directly from RAID0.

Compulsory note: I personally dislike rAID0 since it lacks "R".

Comment

My Manual does not show that either and I have a RAID Capable board, so I dont think it is just because your board wont do RAID.

I assume your card's manual must show how this is supposed to be setup, hopefully, surely it can be done on NON RAID Boards as that is one of the MAIN reasons they are made.

Can you link me to the card and I will find and read the manual and let you know what I think can be done

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I know my motherboard cannot RAID, that wasnt my issue. I wanted to know if my motherboard can boot from, say, a PCE-E x1 RAID card?

I always thought, and have seen on other computers, that in order to boot off of a PCI/PCI-E card that has the OS drive plugged into it, the BIOS needs to know that. My BIOS doesnt seem like it has that option.

The spare junky card I found which touched off my interest in RAIDing my drives is this one-
          Newegg.com - SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card - Controllers / RAID Cards

However, I cant seem to find Vista drivers for it, so I am open to buying any other card that anyone recommends.

Thanks for the help guys :) I am excited to finally experiment with RAID! :D

Comment

Ahh well, if you plan to vista you should for sure buy one that you KNOW has vista drivers

From what I am reading about external cards, all you have to do is create the array within the cards BIOS and set that array as first boot device and it will be booted from the boot from card selection is not necessary.

And I know some devices just do not show up as a selection in the boot order until they are installed, you can tell this by plugging in a USB Stick, once inserted in the Hard drive boot priority screen the USB will show up but not be there until you do so

You may need to get a official reply, I would ask before I decided to by a card >>>
            GIGABYTE - Support - Technical Service Zone

I am really not sure, and would not want to tell you something "I Think" only for it to be very wrong. So please do write in and ask, and let us know what their reply is

Comment

Working...
            X