Hang at post - GA-G33M-DS2R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang at post - GA-G33M-DS2R

I rebooted my computer yesterday after I lost my internet connection (for some reason).
    At reboot, it hangs at post, specifically, where it shows "Memory.." and then would usually list the memory specs. I am unable to get into the bios and have tried to using both PS2 and USB keyboard types.
    I've had absolutely no problems up to this point at all.
    I've reset the CMOS, replaced the 2032 battery, unplugged all SATA and PATA drives, re-seated all memory (Corsair XMS 4x1GB), re-seated CPU, removed all PCI cards and re-seated the vid card. All to no avail.
    Would appreciate any and all help!

GA-G33M-DS2R
    E6600 2.4Ghz Conroe
    Corsair XMS 1x4GB
    Windows XP SP3
    Thermaltake Toughpower W0128RU

Re: Hang at post - GA-G33M-DS2R

Did you try with one stick of ram? Try each stick one at a time, you may have a dead stick or two causing this. Also best if you could do this test in another setup as well, incase something else is causing your board to do this.

Comment

Could that internet loss be caused by a storm with lightning?
      I never had any computer physically connected to the phone line, just to be safe. Always used a wireless adapter.
      Wireless modems, eg 2WIRE, is cheap (sometimes free) and a computer not.
      GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
      i5-4690K + Corsair H90
      Sapphire Radeon R7 240
      16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
      Corsair CX750M
      Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Yes, tried with different sticks in different slots as well - no go.
        There wasn't a storm that I knew of yesterday and we rarely get lightning storms here. All of my other boxes are working well (knock on wood) with none having rebooted.

Comment

How did you try to clear the CMOS and for how long? Try this method in post #2 >>>

Can or did you test this ram in another system?

Comment

I'll try that CMOS clear method, though I haven't heard of shorting out the pins for 20 minutes....I'll try anything at this point.

I'd doubt that 4 sticks would go out at the same time which makes me question whether maybe the Northbridge is the one that is at fault here since it refuses to recognize any memory. I do have another box I can stick them into and will try it.

Comment

Tried the 20-minute CMOS wipe - to no avail.

Just before reaching for my hammer, I noticed a front panel USB header still plugged in. When I unplugged it, voila....

Everything works now and even managed to save my RAID array without having to reconfigure.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Comment

Hmm, very odd! What did you have set as your first device? And legacy USB Enabled or not?

Was this just the case headers or was there actually a Stick or item plugged into it as well?

Nice to hear you got it all up and running again, and saved your RAID!

Comment

Yeah, it was connected to a flash memory reader which had a stick of CF in it. It just happened to be set to C; as well, so that did it.
                  Any syuggestions on how I can reconfigure my boot drive (currently D:) as C: instead?

Comment

Remove your other drives until C is the boot drive, and then add back in the others. Dont move your raid disks though

Comment

Working...
                    X