No announcement yet.

Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

Hello everyone, having major problems with my PC. I have been troubleshooting this for days and have given up. Sick of the sight of it. Can anybody help please.

Here is a "shortened" description of what I have done.

My new build consists of:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
    AMD 4850e
    Corsair (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 5-5-5-18
    Samsung 500GB
    Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU
    LG Blu Ray Drive
    Antec Mini-P180 Micro ATX Tower

As soon as I turned the machine on, only the tower fans came on, the CPU one didn't. I had to reset the CMOS and then I got a display, but then I got CMOS checksum errors which eventually went away.
    Got Windows to boot and format the drive, after the reboot I got this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Googled and tried guides to sort this problem, didn't work.

Tried formatting with smaller/bigger partitions, FAT32/NTFS/NTFS Quick. Same thing.

Now it won't even reboot after the format, and I get this message:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.
    Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.
    You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
    To continue, press ENTER.

Here are a list of things I have tried:

Different SATA cables for HD
    1 RAM stick/2 RAM sticks/Different DIMM slots
    Previous IDE HD with WinXP on, won't boot
    Windows 2000 Install Disk
    IDE DVD-Rom Drive for install, same thing
    Memtest ran overnight, no problems
    Zero-ed the Samsung HD
    Ubuntu Live Disk freezes
    Microsoft Memory Tester for 2 hours, fine.
    Tried new SATA Samsung 320GB
    Even reflashed the BIOS, only one version out

Thanks for reading this far.

Does anybody know what the problem is?
    Last edited by mogwai28; 11-15-2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: Nightmare with GA-MA78GPM-DS2H build!!!

What settings are you using for SATA in the BIOS? And did you remove the jumpers from your drives?

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply.

There are no jumpers on my 2 Samsung Hard Drives. The settings for SATA in the BIOS are:

OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]
      OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
      OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE]
      x Onchip SATA Port4/5 Type IDE

I have always picked NO when it asks about AHCI mode as I have no floppy drive to install drivers.

I have since switched on the PC after leaving it for over a week and tried WinXP again, it reboots after copying Windows files and comes up with the error again:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
      WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Confused?

Comment

Managed to install Ubuntu 8.04 after several tries. It worked ok, but after a few restarts it has stopped working.

Have also noticed that one of my tower fans doesn't come on sometimes, when this happens, the CPU fan doesn't come on as well. This can usually be resolved by shutting down, turning Power Supply off and unplugging cable. Then resetting CMOS, the fans normally come back on then.

Does this sound like a faulty board or could it be the memory?
        I have ran memtest 2.01 and it completed fine.

A local computer shop looked at it, first it was diagnosed as a bad hard drive or possible memory. Once I got a new hard drive and had the same issues with formatting and installing WinXP I took it back and it was examined again.

The shop said he looked on these forums and somebody had a similar issue and it was down to a power management issue with the AMD 4805e chip.

Can anybody verify this as I cannot find the thread about this.

Comment

How long did you run Memtest86+? 10 passes would be recommended to be sure.

Did you burn this XP install CD? If so, or not, have you installed with it lately as it could also be bad. If you did burn it, did you use the Slowest setting? I see missing file errors alot and normally it is from a CD that has been burned to fast. I always recommend OS install CD's be burnt at the SLOWEST Speed possible to ensure the best outcome

You are loading the Correct Driver for SATA when you start the XP install right?

I would use this, but it is the same really as you have
          OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]
          OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
          OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE]
          x Onchip SATA Port4/5 Type As SATA Type

Let me Guess, they charged you to say this right? >>>

bad hard drive or possible memory
          That is pretty lame, you would think since they know enough to test they would be able to tell you which it is!

I really think that guy is possibly lying to you, ask him to show you this page. Because you are correct I just searched and there is no thread/threads here in ANY Section with 4805e or 4805 at all

Comment

Hello again.
            I ran memtest 2.01 overnight, think it was 11+ hours. It finished with no errors at all.
            I don't think it is the WinXP disk, as I have an old Win2000 disk and the exact same error comes up when I try to install that.

Regarding the SATA drivers? What do you mean when you say?

"You are loading the Correct Driver for SATA when you start the XP install right?"

Are there drivers I need to install, do you mean the F6 at the beginning of the WinXP install. Also where do I get the drivers from (Motherboard CD?), and how do I install them if I have no floppy drive. Could this be the problem? My last build was a Pentium 4 with IDE devices, this is the first time using SATA.

Yes, the computer shop did charge me, quite alot actually. They also spoke to Gigabyte on the phone and the guy agreed that there is a problem with the 4805e and this motherboard. I would have to use the next AMD chip up, I think the 5200 or a chip without an "e". He also said to use cheaper RAM as this uses less power and I may get better results. The Gigabyte guy on the phone also said (apparently) that the next BIOS revision would fix this, but didn't know when this would be coming out.

The shop said he got WinXP installed when he took the whole motherboard out but it wouldn't work when the components were inside the tower. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I think I am going to try it. I don't know what else to do.

I will also try an install of Windows 2000.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Yes, Drivers are needed for a XP Install with the F6 method, and without a floppy you will either be out of luck or have to buy one. Or slipstream the drivers into a XP Install disk.

I am not so sure about AMD, but Intel boards say ONLY if you use AHCI or RAID you need a Driver at install. So does your manual, but in Intel it is a MUST as well for SATA drives and I do not know why Manuals say that but it is true. Use the AHCI driver. If AMD is different all you will need to do is switch to AHCI in the BIOS after you install.

Did your previous XP attempt let you see a disk to choose to install to without a driver? If so then you may not need it

The drivers you need are here >>>
              GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

It shows you in your manual how to install XP around page 80 >>>
              GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Manual - GA-MA78GPM-DS2H (rev. 1.0)

From your last comment, sounds like maybe your board is shorting somewhere possibly. I would try it out of the box, off the tray on a box or wooden table and see if it works. If so you will know something is shorting you out

Comment

Ok, this sounds pretty strange now. If the guy at the store was honest when he said he managed to install win when mobo was out of the case but wasn't working anymore when put back in, why didn't he fix that?! Cause that sure sounds there is shorting something or there is a grounding problem with the mobo. Open the case anc check if the mobo is touching the tray and that the distancers are being used between the mobo and the tray.

Comment

I have same mobo and cpu...got same problems as you. Keep on getting messages that files are missing/corrupt

Comment

Update:

Tried installing Windows 2000 with the components IN the tower. Formatted my brand new 320GB Samsung HD and it restarted with this message:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
                    \WINNT\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

I then took the motherboard OUT of the tower and placed it on a piece of cardboard and reconnected it to my other brand new 500GB Samsung HD.
                    Windows XP formatted and it restarted, I got the WinXP logo and then it blue screened with this message (shortened).

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.......
                    STOP: 0X000008E (0XC0000005, 0X805452B0, 0XF75A6904, 0X00000000)
                    Beginning dump of physical memory
                    Physical memory dump complete
                    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I reset the computer and it said Windows setup restarting with this dialogue box:
                    The file or directory \WINDOWS\system32\msvcp60.dll is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I clicked on OK and it said 39 minutes to completion, this didn't move for ages so I reset it again and Windows Check Disk ran. This completed and windows came up with the missing file message again.

I tried a reinstall again and after a few resets when it was coming up with loading safe mode etc it booted into Windows!!!

The internet wasn't working so I thought I would restart it with the network cable in. It restarted to the desktop with this message:

One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

Internet was still not working so I put the Gigabyte Motherboard disk in an chose to install all the drivers. It did it halfway and then restarted with the same missing windows file.

Since then I have tried repairing Windows, it would come up saying:
                    Setup cannot copy the file: "name of file"
                    To retry, press ENTER
                    To skip this file, press ESC

This happens with lots of files and in the end, Windows doesn't work.

I don't think it is neccessary to load SATA drivers if I am not using AHCI or RAID mode as Windows has installed when the motherboard is taken out. But it is not a stable installation as I get the error message after a restart.

I do believe the computer shop is able to speak to Gigabyte support, so maybe I do need to wait for a BIOS update. Surely somebody out there has a 4805e working with this motherboard.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so it would be easier for somebody to help me.

I have read your thread as well oggiet before posting on this forum, trust me I feel your frustration!

Comment

Hmm, still sounds drive (CD or Hard) related to me. It cannot be your CPU as if your CPU would not boot if it was incompatible really. But I do see that board IS on it's first BIOS release only, so ya maybe a BIOS update will get you going smoother. I do see that CPU is not in the support list at all, so it may never work with that board >>>

Have you tried different cables and Drives (CD) to install with, I see you said you tried a IDE install

You never answered me about the disk, do you burn your own???? I see very similar install errors with disks that have been burnt to fast.

Well, I dont know what else to say... Hope your supply guy can get you a answer

Comment

I have a MA78GPM-DS2H with and AMD 4850e (I think you meant this, not 4805e as I can't see that on the AMD site).

I did install Vista Home Premium as I wanted the current Media Centre.

Everything just worked first time, hardware, the Vista install, the TV card, the HDTV interface and so on. I think the drivers were in Vista SP1, so no F6? Easiest build ever for me so keep trying.

Comment

Hmm, thanks! I wondered why I could not find it in the list, seems like that guy who he is working with to try to get this fixed is really trying to pull a fast one over on him for sure.

Did you see what he said to him about he came here and found posts about that CPU not being compatible

Thanks for catching that! Here is the threads here about that CPU and all work fine with that CPU (And to mogwai28) you will see that NONE of them had any CPU issues or power issues at your guy told you he found here. >>>>

Comment

Oops, yeah, I do mean an AMD 4850e.
                            Sorry about that, this computer is driving me mad, didn't spot that mistake.

The WinXP disk I burnt my own a long time again, should be on the slowest speed. It happens with my Win2000 disk so that is why I don't think its the media. But I will try and borrow a different WinXP disk off my friend later this week to make sure.

I have tried installing Windows using an IDE DVD writer and its the same errors, but I could try another one, I have plenty.

I have looked at those posts Lsdmeasap but my board is the DS2H one, so it should be slighty different right? That S2H board has a few BIOS revisions to it. Also I have noticed that there is a REV 2.0 for my DS2H board just come out, do you think that one maybe better. Thanks for your hard work in helping me so far.

@jbrucegraham
                            At least I know now there is someone who has gotten this combination to work. Would you mind posting your full specification please?
                            I realised after buying my gear that the Corsair Memory I have is not on the Gigabyte support list, but assumed it may still work. Would be interested to see if you have got a full working system with memory not on the list.

I may also have to get Vista to try.

My old systems IDE Hard drive with WinXP and all my data didn't work before. I'll probably transfer all of that off it and format that and see if it helps.

As the computer shop will not accept the board is at fault I have no way to send it back. Is there anyway to contact Gigabyte themselves apart from the Technical Service Zone on the website. If I can't get it working soon, I think I'll have to buy another board from a different brand. They have charged me enough to vaguely "troubleshoot" the problem at the shop.

Comment

Re my working system. Mine is the DS2H version 1 board. From memory it is exactly the same as the cheaper board but adds 128MB of sideport graphics memory. I used the original BIOS. I also used 2 sticks of 1GB inexpensive AData DDR2-800 memory - also not on Gigabytes approved list - runs memtest all night. I haven't overclocked (i did check that everything ran OK with a 10% overclock just to see if I had a safety margin, then returned it to stock). It sits under my TV (HDMI) used mainly as a High def TV tuner and recorder.

Someone suggested you take the board out of the case and check it again. I didn't see you report what happened then - definitely worth a try if the shop made it work outside the box.

Other parts of the config:
                              Antec Minuet tiny case with inbuilt 350W supply (to fit in my TV cabinet).
                              Seagate 500 GB sata disk. (I think I set it up for AHCI for hot swap esata, but no RAID)
                              Logitech ex90 wireless keyboard and mouse.
                              cheap Leadtek DTV1000S PCI tuner card, cheap DLink wireless G PCI card

Comment

Working...
                              X