GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R Very Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R Very Slow

Hello everyone I recently upgrade from the X2 4400+ to a Q6600 and this motherboard. Now I am a intermediate...I can build but when it comes to BIOS I am...well retarded.

Now I have no issues with the board....I must say I been a MSI fan for a long time but this board amazes me....absolutely beautiful but I have a problem and I dunno if its a BIOS issue or a RMA for a new one issue.

PC Specs
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz 266x9
    Evga 8800GT 512mb
    4x 1GB G-skill PC6400 DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
    TX750w Corsair PSU
    Seagate ST3320620AS 7200RPM 320gb
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64

So I boot this sucker up and I go to install Vista and its slow...I mean so slow my Celeron 2.8ghz out shines it so I go into bios and it shows my CPU freq @ 266x8 so I changed it to 266x9 which I was told was stock speeds and its 2.4ghz now.
    I go back reinstall Vista and its super slow once again...give you a example 15 mins later I JUST got to the "install" option for Vista 10 mins later I have yet to see a "install on which HDD" right before the actual install. By that time my X2 4400+ would be 30-40% into the Vista install process.

So I rebooted over and over till I was able to use my mouse and remove my old MSI chipset and X2 drivers from my original install of Vista.
    So I can at least make posts to try and fix this.

Here are some screenshots now NOTE THIS I set the "optimized defaults" so ram etc are all back to AUTO. I was told perhaps it was my ram timings so I set it to 5-5-5-15 but I wasn't sure I did it right so I set it back to default to be safe.

Bios screenshot
    ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

CPU-z

Any help would be very appreciated.

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R Very Slow

very easy thing to start your system faster .... only have 2 ram in there .. set your speed to 333x9 = 3.0 ... set your ram trap to 266 ... and speed to around 800 ... all the volting auto is fine for now ... set your ram timming to the spect .... turn C1E and EIST off ... you should have a stable 3 gig to start. once you can start with that ... when you have 4 ram it's not a good thing to start out.

you also can i belive just click on turbo or some thing like that .. and the mother board sill automatic OC for you ... but that is only to 2.8 to 3.0 ...

good rule of thump .. start with 2 ram install only

Comment

I don't have the cooling to be overclocking...with stock I am sitting @ 45c idle and 60c highload planning to reset the HS it seems rather high even for a stock in a rather cold room roughly 60F. It will be a week before I can get my after market cooler.

So the issue is 4 ram sticks and not 2? I am curious others from NE and TG reported using 4x with no performance hit at all. Is it just luck of the brand?

Just bad luck?

I am curious what do you mean start with only 2? I mean I know only 2 sticks but it sounds like 4 would work later?

Comment

So I reseated the HS and atm on 100% load its sitting at 50-48-43-49 @ 100% running 4x CPU Burn v1 I am guessing once the AS5 settles in I will be looking at lower temps.

The speed is better but didn't notice a difference between 2 and 4 ram modules. Vista still is very slow in formating...could there be a issue with my SATA CD-Rom drive that could prevent it from working at its true speeds?

Comment

yep .. check your sata .. could be 150mb sata1 and not 300mb sata2

Comment

Well after taking out my heat sink it reset all my bios options I found myself back at 266x8 so I reset it back 266x9 set my timings to 5-5-5-15 set the memory to 300a for a 800-800

Host clock = Enable
            Cpu Host Freq = 266
            PCI Express = 100mhz
            System memory 300a

CIE - Disabled
            EIST - Disabled

Though the bios boot is still slow...least compared to my MSI board...about 25 seconds. There anyway to disable it but still be able to access the BIOS when I need to?

I was able to install a fresh version of Vista and installed as fast if not faster then my X2 4400+.

So I dunno what exactly I did but it fixed it. All 4 ram are happy to be alive and active little bees so I am chalking it up to a "pity card"

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Na, no way to speed up the BIOS boot thru.

Sounds like your CD player may be setup wrong, what disk settings do you have set in the BIOS? IN the Integrated Peripherals page? I do see you have your disk set wrong on this page >>>

All you should have there is your CD players. The rest should all be set to NONE and inside those all set to NONE

I can install vista in about 12 minutes, 14 for 32bit

Let me see what you have set in the above page I asked about. You did remove any jumpers from the back of your CD/DVD and hard drives right? If not do so now as a jumper WILL limit the speed

Comment

Sure thing here you go.

Also yes I removed the jumpers.
                Last edited by Twist86; 11-09-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

OK, looks to me like you have either your disks plugged into the wrong ports (Purple) or you have the wrong settings there, or both. You should plug your disks into the yellow ports, preferably the first ones. And use the top settings of that page for normal SATA (NON AHCI or RAID) and disable those ones in the middle you have set.

This would be your suggested settings for a NON AHCI or RAID Setup (With those middle settings you have disabled) >>>

These ports would be best for your System Hard Drive (use port 0 for your OS drive for sure if you have two drives) >>>

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode....................Disabled
                  SATA Port0-3 Native Mode....................... Enabled (Allows IDE/PATA functions)

This for AHCI >>>
                  SATA RAID/AHCI Mode....................AHCI
                  SATA Port0-3 Native Mode....................... Enabled (Allows IDE/PATA functions)

Once you set those and start over again you will need to set the BOOT Device Priority again possibly, so check to be sure

Those are for the Purple ports, and should be used only for backup RAID arrays with smartbackup. Some models do allow you to use them as a normal SATA or normal RAID arrays, but for a NON AHCI or RAID Setup you should use the Yellow Intel ports, and install the Intel drivers with your system as you install.

Here is the drivers you will need to load during install >>>

32Bit
                  GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

64Bit
                  GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver Download

Be sure when you load the driver to choose the driver labeled iaAHCI.inf not the iaStore.inf as it is for RAID. Yes the AHCI one is for normal SATA operations as well. And by default Vista does have a SATA/AHCI driver so you can actually install it without loading a additional one, but it would not be best.

Comment

I see thank you very much. You have been more then helpful :)

I am curious since you know so much do you know if a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 has enough clearance to avoid the side heatsinks for the chipsets on this board? I like the cooler since I will be doing a modest OC of 366x9.

*link* to it

I love the board but I wish the heatsinks were longer vs wider.
                    Last edited by Twist86; 11-10-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

they do ... i use it on ep35c-ds3r, ep35-ds3l, ep45-ud3p .. excelent cooler and cheap ... just remember to get the bracket ... so much easier to put it in ...

mine on q6600 .. idle at 32-38 .. load at 53-59 .. and that on 3.42(380x9) .. also my case is antect900 .. so the airtunel go right at the cooller too. :)
                      Last edited by godto; 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Yeap, as said above, I think that would be fine. Be sure you get you one of these or similar >>>
                        LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit with Screws & Springs

Comment

I see thank you both guys :) I plan to pick up a higher CFM fan to improve cooling on it as well....atm I am looking @ 36-34-30-33 idle and 55c cap in a 20c room with stock so I expect to see a 15c drop or more in high load temps. Before I OC.

BTW this the correct back?
                          Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Also I was reading some of these brackets can short the motherboard...any truth to this or are they just the idiots not using something that comes with the kit?

Btw neat way to put on the evil push pins is take a roll of electrical tape put it in the circle on the tape you want to push a pin on and use a screwdriver to push down with and turn once it goes all the way down. Dropped my temps 10c on stock doing it this way.

Also @ 3.4ghz Godto whats your room temp when you get these temps you reported?
                          Last edited by Twist86; 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM.

Comment

It just depends, some can that do not have the plastic on them if you are not carefull.

I always tape mine to be on the safe side, but that one has a plastic cover so you will be fine with that. Ya that is indeed the correct one and you will have no worries

Comment

Cool deal thanks...what kind of tape you prefer? Never used electrical tape on a motherboard for practical use. Would the heat be a issue in the long term?

In case I get a pure metal back plate....newegg is not always truthful ^-^

Comment

Working...
                              X