EP45-DS4P and HD4870 huge graphics issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS4P and HD4870 huge graphics issue

I have corrupt graphics at boot (horizontal lines on red splash screen) followed by large grey blocks through the POST and fine horizontal lines in Vista safe mode (attempt to load Vista gives BSOD with reboot loop).

Nothing I have done can fix the problem, including:
    BIOS flash to F7 using flashspi from USB stick

remove/reinstall Catalyst drivers in safe mode (by uninstalling vid card) - this will allow me to boot to 'unsafe' mode with corrupt display but installing vid card drivers requires a reboot, with BSOD.

Change PCI-E slot for 4870

1 stick of RAM

Boot with no devices

Clear CMOS, remove battery for 30 min

I'm thinking this is an issue way outside of Windows, since the problem exists before any attempt to access HDD. I'm hoping it's on the mobo side and I suspect it is, because a reboot takes about 60 seconds of black screen before the (corrupt) splash screen even shows up. It's more frustrating because a USB keyboard is not recognised despite BIOS settings, and bootable CD-ROM is not recognised either despite boot order setting...

The whole issue started when I tried to run 'Windows Experience Index' with a blocky graphics freeze necessitating a hit of the reset button.

Any suggestions gratefully received, or it's back to the supplier for RMA (lucky I bought the whole system in parts from one place).

Re: EP45-DS4P and HD4870 huge graphics issue

What monitor do you use, and do you have the refresh rate set properly on it?

Does your PSU have enough amps on the 12V rail for that card and your system?

F12 at boot and you can choose any boot device, regardless of Boot order set in the BIOS, just incase you were unaware of this

Can you test this card on another system to see if it is OK itself?

Comment

Thanks very much for your input, I am using a Samsung 2493HM LCD, which was working fine and still does work fine on a DVI input from my other PC (A Mac mini).

I am figuring the PS *was* OK, I've had the system running for a week with no problems. I thought it would be extremely unlikely that the PS would die just as I tried a graphics-intensive task like running the Vista 'Experience Index' - it was the aqua rendering that crashed in the first place.

I'm very suspicious of the motherboard at this stage, mainly because of this extremely long wait to get to the splash screen and the fact that I had flashed the BIOS only hours earlier - to try and get it to recognise a USB wireless keyboard. Wish I'd left it that way now. On initial start up all the fans run full speed, however the bank of LED's ('phase LEDs') which supposedly indicate CPU loading stay lit for 30 seconds or so, well after the fans have slowed down. After this long wait, the blue LED near the IDE connector lights up and then the red splash screen (with corrupt graphics) will come up.

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC modern enough to use PCI-E graphics, my old AGP-based system just plods on! I'll try to see if the shop I purchased from will let me swap the 4870 into one of their systems.

The complicating factor is that if I accept the corrupted BIOS graphics and try to boot to Vista, I get a BSOD with atikmdag.sys error and a reboot. This would probably *not* point to the mobo, right?

Comment

Hi rsp8, do you have any other memory stick to check if this issue is caused by memory?
        I understood that you can go into BIOS, please post the memory parameters so Lsdmeasap can give you a correct advice.
        Moreover, did you already tested your memory with MemTest86+?
        GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
        i5-4690K + Corsair H90
        Sapphire Radeon R7 240
        16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
        Corsair CX750M
        Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Hi and thanks for the response,

The memory is Corsair Dominator 1066, running a single stick (I have 2) of 1Gb - both give same symptoms. It's set at 2.1V 5-5-5-15 with everything else at Auto in the BIOS.

I don't have access to any other DDR2 RAM.

I just can't understand why the system would run fine and stable for a week, then have this really bad graphics issue even when only PSU/CPU/RAM/GPX card are plugged in (no drives, no other cards, no USB).

It's really hard to read the BIOS setup screen, after I've waited a while to get into it - about 50% of the options are blocked out until I move over them and hit enter, where I can usually see (or guess) what's in the next screen.

Comment

You have an EP45-DS4P... Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought Gigabyte mobos had issues with Corsair and OCZ Sticks when you run them at 1066Mhz.
            Try to leave them at 800Mhz with the same latencies.
            _________

Also, you said you have another PC, use that PS to run the Processor and use the other one to run the 4870.
            If it works, it your PS

Comment

asd

Comment

Great suggestions, thanks!

I'll try both this evening and advise - I hadn't heard of issues with GB mobo and Corsair RAM, but I'll change timings and see....still seems odd that it was solid for a week before problems - which started with a graphics crash.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Resolved! The HD4870 was toast, the supplier was good enough to test it on their rig, with the same symptoms. A new one off the shelf and all is well in the world. Thanks for your advice, helpful nonetheless.

Comment

Nice to see you solved it! I had a few things I was about to reply about but you got it!

Nice find! Post back anytime, and if you do need help with your BIOS settings let me know

Comment

Working...
                    X