Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45 DS3R and installing Raid (but not for OS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45 DS3R and installing Raid (but not for OS)

I want to make a raid 1 array with a couple 1TB drives, but I already have the OS installed on another drive. The MB manual and all the help guides I can find have instructions to install the Raid and then the OS on top the Raid drive, but I just want to install the raid drive and not fool around with the OS. I am using XP pro and don't currently have a floppy disk drive (I'd rather not get one if I don't have to).

I tried installing that intel matrix thingy but it won't install- it says I don't meet the hardware requirements (I have the Intel ICH10R chip, and two identical hard drives- what else do I need?!).

I have never tried to do raid before- is there a way to install a RAID 1 array on XP without a floppy disk drive?

Re: EP45 DS3R and installing Raid (but not for OS)

You would need a floppy to do a XP install, or slipstream the drivers to a XP Install disk.

Are these two disks separate from the MAIN OS drive? If so you should be able to install the Matrix storage manager. Which link are you trying to install, give me the page please.

You may have to enabled it in the BIOS and install XP with the driver from the get go, but I dont think you need to just install the correct Intel file as long as you set RAID in the BIOS and configure the disks as RAID in the RAID BIOS

All you may need to do is enable the RAID in the BIOS and go into the RAID BIOS page and setup the RAID 1 on the other two disks and then reboot and start the system, if not luck since you have made the array try then disable RAID in the BIOS and see how th e disks are shown in windows then and try to install the matrix storage manager again.

I will help you some more when I get back as I am on my way out the door now

Comment

Here is my setup: I have winXP pro installed on a IDE drive, and I dont want to put that in a raid array. Now I have 2 SATA drives which i want to put in a RAID 1 array, but I do not want to put a OS on them.
      I put them in a RAID volume in the RAID bios, and enabled SATA Raid mode in the MB BIOS, but when I do that, windows does not see any disks, but it asks for drivers for a RAID controller. If I don't put them in a RAID volume in the RAID bios, windows will see them, even if SATA RAID mode is enabled in the MB BIOS. I have not messed around with RAID before, but I wouldn't have thought it would be this complicated. BTW the MB bios is flashed to the latest version.

Comment

Ahh ok that makes it a little easier since the IDE would not be affected by the SATA settings in the BIOS.

What you need to do is Set RAID in the BIOS and then save/apply/reboot and enter the RAID BIOS (Control + I) on the IRQ screen as you see the AHCI page showing. Then choose your two SATA disks and create the RAID Array you want and reboot back to the BIOS. Once back in the BIOS go to Advanced BIOS features page and then Boot device Order, and be sure your IDE is set as first boot device (Or second if you have floppy or CD set as first)

I see you have done that. Ok, once you start windows that is where you would install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager >>>
        Confirm Download

Read Me for above file >>

You DO HAVE to have the Intel Chipset Driver package installed first, you have that installed already right? If not here is the latest >>>
        Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Or Here for XP Pro (you want the second link # 2.)
        Download Search Results

You could also try setting RAID in the BIOS settings, and Don't configure a Array in the RAID BIOS (Meaning if you have one made delete it) and then install the Matrix Program and use it to create The RAID Array as well.

Raid is alot easier to setup when you are using it for your system, that is for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X