win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

I installed a clean win xp professional OS on a new rig (quad processor), no issues. Then I did a Acronis recovery from a uniprocessor pc, and installed the correct mobo drivers. Still no issues. The I did a restart and a repair install to load the mobo sata and AHCI drivers. The pc restarts, but everytime I open a program from windows, for example Windows Explorer, or Software from the configuration screen, or Network Connections, I get a window with "Windows Installer", waiting for something to load.

The version of windows on my old pc is sp3, after the repair install (I used a win xp slipstreamed with sp2), I see sp2 on my info screen of computer properties.

What should/can I do to solve this Installer window?

Re: win xp repair install: used to load sata ahci driver

That doesn't sound like a very good way to do things. I really can't say for sure what FOR SURE will fix it. But first I would try to install SP3 and see if that fixes it.

There is other ways to load the AHCI driver, if you need help with that for next time let me know

In the end, you may just have to do a clean install of Either SP2 or SP3 XP

Comment

Any luck trying to install SP3 over that install?

Comment

I believe the new drivers that Gigabyte have placed on their website (after the the introduction of ICHR10) are incorrect.

When you place the files on a floppy and boot from them, only the ICHR9 driver for Raid is available, not the correct desktop AHCH driver.

Few things to check, when you installed XP, did you have AHCI selected in your Bios or IDE? If you installed with IDE selected, you wont be able to revert to AHCI.

The same the other way round, if you installed with AHCI enabled, make sure in the bios you arent trying to boot using IDE.

I would go to Intels site and download the intel inf update utility, i believe this will update your AHCI driver to the latest version :) Good luck!
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
        CPU: E8400 C0
        Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
        GPU: XFX GTX280
        Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
        HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
        PSU: Corsair HX620
        Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
        CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
        Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
        HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
        Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
        Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
        Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
        Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
        James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
        Goldeneye

Comment

ICH9R AHCI drivers are included and correct in the ICH10R drivers. Just took this from my floppy driver >>>

You must scroll up to find the ICH9 AHCI Drivers. I explained here for some yesterday >>>

I think he just went about this all in the wrong way and messed up his windows install.

And yes the Inf package would fix AHCI drivers, but I still do not think that would fix his issue

Comment

Are you sure Lsdmeasap? Looks to me just the Raid driver is listed, not the AHCI Driver. (Compare it to ICHR10 where you have both R(Raid) and standard D(Desktop) drivers).

I remember having to re-install XP and this caused a very big problem. First time when i installed the driver, XP wouldnt boot telling me that there was an operating system error, then i tried again with the same drivers and received a BSOD just as you do when you install without AHCI drivers at all.

Eventually i used the ones on the CD (Where there were both Desktop and Raid ones listed), but as you also explained in your other post, getting them from intel would be best.
            Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay

Goldeneye

Comment

Yes, I am sure. Here is the one from Gigabyte Site, just downloaded right now to show you.

As said above, in more detail in the link, you must scroll up to choose SATA or RAID part of ICH9R as it is above 10, as well as 7 and 8 are also. As you can see the AHCI and RAID drivers are both included. >>>>

Comment

Whats the difference between the ICH10R R and D drivers listed?

Goldeneye

Comment

ICH10R is for RAID/AHCI

And the ICH10D or DO is for the NON raid boards and other Revisions of the ICH10 Chip. And also refers to the LPC INTERFACE CONTROLLER interface for the NON "R" versions, which control certain PCI Devices and Other peripherals such as Firewire/USB for example. So both are included in all packages so that the bundle will work for any Intel based board and the drivers, if need, be will be installed when you choose your Driver to install

Those are also separate entries for different revisions of the Actual NB Chips >>>
                  ICH10 Corporate Base (ICH10D)
                  ICH10 Digital Office (ICH10DO)

Again for anyone reading and not sure they are all there for sure in each download from either Gigabyte or Intel.

Gigabyte just repackages the Intel driver packs is all, nothing changed, added, or removed.

Comment

Waw!! Many thanks for this wealth of information. I am very impressed by all of your responses.

First of all, installing a repair with a sp2 cd over a sp3 installation indeed was a NO-GO. I am currently struggling a bit to get a working cd with sp3, and with the correct drivers installed, to work. I think by tomorrow I will have it ready (still have a household to run and a fulltime job besides lol).

I did find out that a sp2 or sp3 cd where there are old amd ahci drivers integrated on the cd DO give conflicts (BSOD) when trying to load a newer driver thru F6.

Currently I still have the ambition to do a restore with Acronis True Image from a uniprocessor pc w/o ahci to my new multiprocessor rig. This will be weekend work. I will for sure keep you all posted.

PS: and yes, my bios is set for AHCI :)
                    Last edited by Brice3010; 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Ya, I kinda thought that was not going to turn out good as I read thru your first post.

SP2 CD should have no issues with the default AHCI or AMD ACHI drivers or any added via Slipstream (Meaning I have used TONS of Custom Built ones with MANY Extra Drivers added).

The system will scan and only install the needed ones per the system, or any you specify during F6 Driver install method.

Maybe you are burning your Disks to fast? If you do burn your own install disks you should ALWAYS burn System disks at the SLOWEST Speed possible.

Good luck, and do post back if you still have issues, or to tell us about your success.

Comment

Working...
                      X