Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DS5 & E8600 - need overclocking help

Hi everyone

I've read the sticky guide but still can't seem to get any overclock at all on my system to be stable (like, no lock up in windows after 5 minutes).

Specs are:
    • Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 mainboard
    • E8600 CPU
    • Corsair Dominator series 2x 2GB PC-8500 (5-5-5-15)
    • Stock cooler
    • Lian Li PC-A10 case (3x 120mm fans, full tower with good airflow)
    • Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

I've tweaked the BIOS at stock settings (manually entered DRAM timings) and downloaded CPU-Z, CoreTemp and Prime95 and it is as stable as anything at stock (temps according to CoreTemp ar about 52 celcius when running Prime95 and low 30s at idle). You would think there is heaps of room for overclocking with those specs.

I don't want a massive overclock (4GHz max) and don't really want to replace the stock cooler unless I have to. But the impression I got was that these babies overclock really well, even with the stock cooler. However, I've gone into the BIOS and there are *heaps* of settings and having read the manual and the overclocking guide I *think* I understand what they mean and what to change, I'm not able to overclock this thing at all. I really don't want to push it to the limit, and having spent 3 days installing all the software and everything I want to avoid any more Vista crashes (I can't bear to re-install everything if my Vista install gets corrupted), but every overclock I've tried so far has resulted in a locked system so I think I need help.

I was hoping someone could tell me what settings to start playing around with - kind of like the overclocking guide settings in the sticky overclocking thread, but including settings for the e8600.

Thanks heaps in advance to anyone that can help me.

Re: GA-X48-DS5 & E8600 - need overclocking help

Here try this for a 3.6 Overclock for now then you can decide if you want more as this may be hot for a stock cooler. There is MANY ways you can get any certain speed, here is just one for you to try for starters until you decide what you want to run or Get a new Fan >>>>

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [402] 
    [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100][/B]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66D ] = 1069Mhz ram speed
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (Use 9-11 first as later may not work with your ram)

Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 (Same as above 11-14)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
    Static tRead Value_______________7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always leave

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] << 50-150 

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.3V] << Needed for stable 2x2Gb of ram
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30] << may need less may need more.  It all depends on your Chip and your board vdrop/vdroop. Stock may even get you there, but the only way to see if that works is to manually set it (NOT AUTO) and see how far you can up the FSB before you need more voltage

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Re: GA-X48-DS5 &amp; E8600 - need overclocking help

Thanks LSDMEASAP. I've been reading these forums a bit over the last couple of days and was hoping that you'd reply. Unfortunately that didn't work either...

I tried with the exact settings you sent, even on the lazy end of the range and it locked up booting into Vista. It also has locked up several times (including just now) while in the bios while overclocked (although never when clocked at stock). That is, it froze booting vista, then I restarted and it locked in the bios before I had a chance to finish tweaking the settings.

*Something* must be flakey, but I have no idea what. I actually went out with the intention to buy good quality kit. In case it has an influence on overclocking, the other parts of the system not mentioned in my original post are:
      • Antec 850W True Power Quattro PSU
      • 2x MSI 4850 512MB cards in crossfire

This is quite frustrating because I've had laptops for a few years now, but I've overclocked other PCs in the past without too much hassle (a celeron 300 to 450 (from memory) and a Pentium 4 2.4 o/c to 3.2). But this thing just doesn't want to overclock and the number of settings is overwhelming.

I can't understand why it locks up in the BIOS though! I'm almost certain it's not heat, and you wouldn't think it would be the memory in the bios (although I suppose I could remove one stick of ram and one video card and see if that makes it more stable).

Any thoughts on what might be the problem and where to go from here?

Comment

I think I can help here.
        the D strap on x48-ds4 and x48-ds5 do not seem to work.
        Lots of of peaople of diffrent forums seem to have this problem.

my tip would be to test the 2.00B strap
        or the 2.40B strap

those are the only straps that works at anything but stock settings on my x48-ds4

Comment

Thanks skyscraper.

So do I need to change any of the other settings that lsdmeasap provided, or just change the system memory multiplier to 2.40B?

From memory (I'm not at home now) I'm not using the latest BIOS, just the one that came out of the box. I think it's currently v5 but there is a v6 and a v7beta on gigabyte's website (from memory). Is it worth flashing to a newer bios, and if so the beta one or the last stable one (I probably want to avoid the beta one unless I can get confidence from others that it's ok).

Thanks again,
          Ben

Comment

Ya, I would update the BIOS to the latest NON beta and try again. And the D strap would be easier to get stable as opposed to what is said above. But he did say issue, so it could have been a known BIOS issue, but I have not heard. D strap will be much more stable as you overclock. The B strap will be much harder to get stable

If you flash, please DO NOT USE @BIOS. Here is a Guide I wrote on how to use Qflash >>>

Comment

Thanks LSDMEASAP.

I've now flashed the BIOS to the latest non beta version (v7). Thanks for your post on how to do that, went very smoothly.

Then I tried the setting you gave me again but got the same result. I also tried changing the 'strap' to 2.00B but it wouldn't even post. I've googled a bit about the strap setting and think I kind of understand it - if I do understand it then somehow I have to overclock the CPU but also get the ram to run at a multiple of whatever the "B" strap is (I'm not in the BIOS at the moment), rather than run at a multiple of 400 MHz which is what the D strap is.

Can you please provide some guidance as to what settings I will need to use the B strap? As I understand it, I need an overclock based an a FSB speed that is what the B strap uses - correct?

Thanks heaps for your help so far.

Ben

Comment

I agree with that the D strap should be more stable if it works,
                but as i said lots of people (or some at least) have issues with the D strap. It can be related to crappy crucial and corsair memory or it can be an bios issue with some bios versions, I have no clue. The issue seem to exist on both x48-ds5 and -ds4. Im not sure about the dq6 because I have mostly read up on ds4 and ds5 since they have identical bios layout.

You seem to have stability problems more than reboot loop issues but since I have already written a post on another forum to describe what i have to do to get 400+ fsb to work with my crucial ballistic 8500 on my x48-ds4 r1.3 without getting in to the reboot loop I might aswell translate it and post it here. If it doesnt help you I hope that it can help others.

__________________________________________________ ______________
                To get crucial ballstic 8500 to work with overclocking to 400+ fsb on a gigabyte x48-ds4/ds5 ddr2 board without getting in to a reboot loop. It should work with all c2d with 333/1333 fsb but you can try it with 333/1333 fsb quads and even CPUs with 266/1066 fsb if they accept lower multipliers. It might work with other low quality memory aswell if you are having problems with reboot loops but most people with this problem seem to use crucial memory.

Enter the bios and load optimal defaults and load windows once without any overclocking or memory tweaking exept entering the correct memory voltage. I have to do this after every failed post that changes the fsb and memory settings back to "auto" to get my board to work at any other speed than default, otherwise I get the reboot loop or unstability.
                Not all have this issue but from what I see on the forums its pretty common.

After you have successfully booted default settings into windows once reboot and enter the bios. Change to the 2.40B memory strap with all other memory settings on auto exept memory voltage (the D strap do not seem to work for me at all). Still use default fsb.

Although the auto memory settings is a bit screwed your (or mine at least) memory will not have any problems at 960 mhz and for some reason the 2:40B strap boots more easy and at highter fsb for me than the 2:00B strap. If you have 6400 memory be sure to use the 2:00B strap instead.

reboot load windows once

reboot and set fsb to 400 (and change multiplier if you have an 266/1066 fsb CPU) and the vcore to what you think is needed to be 100% sure that the CPU voltage is not the issue (A tip ~1.45v for the e6xxx ~1.35 for e8xxx adjust for vdrop if you have such issues). All other voltages except memory voltage at default, still memory timings on auto (dont forget to set PCI-E to 100 mhz and turn off all speed step and power saving crap)

reboot

If it doesnt post repeat all above but try 401 or 402 fsb
                If that doesnt work try with (G)MCH +0.1 or 0.2
                and fsb overvoltage 0.05 or 0.1
                as LSDMEASAP suggested Performance Enhance "Standard" is worth a shot but for me even extreme works so this setting does not seem to have an impact on my problems but I guess its diffrent if you use 2*2gb
                If that fail for some reason try it all again with 390-399 fsb
                play around with these settings until it works
                my x48-ds4 works perfectly with 400 fsb at default voltages but nothing is guaranteed in this world we live in.

If it posts load windows
                check if its stable with for example prime 95 torture test "Blend"
                on one core and "small FFTs" on the other core for at least an hour.
                Then "In-place large FFTs" on both cores for at least an hour.
                Try longer sessions later but for gaming stability 1h use to be enough.

If its not stable go back to the last step.
                If its "stable" you can choose to ignore the rest and settle for 400 fsb with auto memory settings or continue tweaking.
                (auto memory settings for my crucial are 5 7 7 22 performance level 7 at 960 mhz with the 2:40B strap so the timings are really high/bad)
                If you chose to stop here you should at least try to lower cpu voltage as much as you can without anything getting unstable.

Now you can start entering the correct memory settings in the bios according to SPD .
                If I do this without booting auto settings to windows as described above I get into the reboot loop.
                For my ballistic the correct settings are 5 5 5 15, act to act (trrd) 4, rank write to read 4, write to precharge delay 8 (or 4 showing up as 8 in memset?), refresh to act (cycle time) 56, read to precharge 4. Replace those with the values for your memory. If unsure google it or mail the supplier and ask.
                set static t-read value (performance setting) to 9 to be sure that the new timings post
                leave the other crap on auto/default

reboot
                load windows

If static t-read value 9 is stable in windows try 8 if thats stable try 7.

Now you are done with getting 400 mhz fsb stable with correct memory timings.

You can try to tweak the memory settings or try a higher fsb. but stick to the 2:40B/2:00B strap and change static t-read back to 9 or even 10 or 11 if you try a higher fsb. I have a real crappy e6750 that runs into a FSB wall at ~420 mhz undependent the multiplier I use, ( I have tried it on 3 different mother boards so im pretty sure its the CPU that sets the limit in my case) but most 333/1333 fsb CPUs will go much higher although you might have to lower the multiplyer if you have CPUs with 9 or 10 in default multiplyer.

If you run into stability problems when you increased FSB without lowering the memory timings then start to tweek the other voltages, skew etc. Dont use voltage settings higher than +0.3 for (g)mch, +0.2 for FSB, no more than +0.1 for PCI-E and no more than 0.1v over specified max voltage for your memory. More than +0.2v over your CPUs default voltage is not considered safe for 24/7 use if you dont have really good cooling.

Im not an expert on gigabyte boards but this method never fails me to get 400+ fsb working on my x48-ds4 that otherwise loves reboot loops with 2x 1gb crucial ballistic 8500 5 5 5 15 memory. I guess the issus have to do with the fact that the bios remeber failed settings and from there things go ballistic.
                The only time I dont have to go through the procedure above is when I really REALLY have cleared the bios settings by removing the power cord , the battery on the mother board and short circuited the bios jumper. Then I can enter all overcloked settings at once but as soon as I have had a failed post...

With my corsair 6400 2x 1gb I dont have this issue or at least not as bad but the D-strap do not work with my corsair either (other than at default fsb) so that seem to be a bios issue / bug.

Disclaimer!
                I dont take responsibility for anything... not even my self...

__________________________________________________ _____________

Forgive me for all typos since english isnt my first language

As a side note my crappy crucial does 4 4 4 12 "Static t-Read Value 6" at 960 mhz at 2.22-2.24v
                Last edited by skyscraper; 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks Skyscraper, I really appreciate your help. Especially as from your post count it looks like you joined up just to help me.

I'll give it a go tonight and post the results back here.

Comment

Its more like that my E8600 arrives late this week :D and nobody in my home country seem to use a E8600 on a x48-ds4 or x48-ds5 or even x48-dq6 ddr2 (Or at least no one that hangs around in the local hardware forums) so I googled a bit and ended up here in your thread. Im really glad I found this forum so im just happy if I can be to some help.

I thought that the d-strap issue im having with my memory could be relevant to your problems since that i have heared about others with the same problem.

I have orded new Mushkin 2x2gb DDR2, XP2-8500 that hopefully makes the reboot loop issue go away for good but im not that sure it will help me with getting the D strap settings to work at other than default fsb, but we will see.

edit: this is not relevant to you as you have ds5 but maybe to LSDMEASAP
                    I have tried both the F1 bios and the F2 on my x48-ds4 and im now using the F3a beta bios. I have had the same issue with all. Both my sets of memory are very old bought over a year ago so its very possible that could be part of the problem. Both sets complete every test i throw at them without errors with the B strap. I really hope the mushkin memory will solve the d-strap issue since I feel that i might need it with my new CPU.
                    Last edited by skyscraper; 10-28-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Hi, I recently got an X48-DQ6, upgraded from MSI P35 Platinum. I am having trouble getting a stable 400x10 overclock which I had no trouble with from my previous board. With the P35, I set BIOS CPU Core to 1.28, and all other voltages were default. Now with a X48 mobo, it seems I have to do a whole lot more to get it stable @ 4GHz. The ram I am using is 2x2GB OCZ ReaperX PC2-8000. Here are my current settings, but it is still failing on OCCT.

Code:
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [10] 
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00D]

CAS Latency Time________________4
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________4
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________[Auto]
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ [Auto]
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ [Auto]
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto]
                      Static tRead Value_______________ [Auto]
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU Clock Skew Control [Normal]
                      GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30] (1.26V Idle in Windows)

Comment

@Ben70

Use the D strap it will be much more smooth for you at 1066 speeds, you do not have to change FSB to anything to use it, you can use it at about any FSB. Just set MCH latch to 400 and use the memory multi with a D on it

@ghost87

What CPU do you have? And have you checked how much Vdrop/vdroop your new board has? You may need to set BIOS voltage higher to compensate

Try this (I can help you with all settings, but lets get you going first) >>>

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00D]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________[Auto]
                        Rank Write to READ Delay________ [Auto]
                        Write to Precharge Delay_________ [Auto]
                        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
                        Read to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto]
                        Static tRead Value_______________ [Auto] 8-10
                        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always Leave

GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] 50-150

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V] << Set .25-.3
                        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30] (1.26V Idle in Windows) << Set 1.35 for 1.31 actual. You may need more, what did you use for actual on your other board for this speed?

Comment

I am using an e8600 as I was previously with my old board. The voltage I was getting was the same as now, 1.26v after vdroop. Does the fsb strap only affect the nb controller timings because I decided to lower the strap and reduce the FSB to 400? I don't think its a CPU voltage issue because I ran OCCT for 1/2 hr (I know it's not much) and it seemed ok, and I've seen people run it at 400x10 at 1.2V. I went ahead to relax the memory timings, and I'll see how this goes. The BSODs I was getting was Stop errors which my googling leaves me to believe that it is mainly related to RAM.

Code:
                          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400] 
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00B]  (Whichever was 333MHz strap)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________[8]
                          Rank Write to READ Delay________ [8]
                          Write to Precharge Delay_________ [8]
                          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ [52]
                          Read to Precharge Delay__________ [8]
                          Static tRead Value_______________ [8]

GMCH Clock Skew Control [150ps]

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]
                          CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30]

Comment

What you see others using does not apply to you at all. All chips and boards are different.

I asked what you used before voltage-wise to get a idea of where your chip ran at before. You may need more on this board

Yes MCH latch only affects NB timings, but that has a effect on your ram settings and the ones that will and will not work. Lowering the strap makes the NB run tighter timings. Yes, that means a higher MCH latch is More stable and uses looser NB timings thus allowing you to run a faster ram speed much easier

Use 402 FSB not 400. As for the MCH that is up to you to test which will work and which wont at said ram speeds. I would imagine you will be fine with only 800 ram speed using the B/333 strap but if you want to run 1066 you will have to use what I advised above at least.

Here, This is what I would suggest you use for what you gave just now >>>

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
                            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00B] (Whichever was 333MHz strap)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 48-50 (52-62)
                            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
                            Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10

GMCH Clock Skew Control [150ps]

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V- +.03]
                            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30-1.325]

Comment

I got my e8600 and my new 2x2 gb mushkin xp2-8500 5-5-5-15 (#996599) today

No more reboot loop issues and I can suddenly use the D-strap :)

Im stability testing 4.00 ghz atm at all stock voltages on my x48-ds4
                              Im at 1h of prime 95 "blend" + "small FFTs" and so far so good

So my tip to you Ben would be, get the mushkins!

edit

"blend" (memory testing) failed after a little more than an hour
                              I just found out that I get performance level 6 what ever I enter as t-read value with the mushkins (strange?). I will change "Performance Enhance" to normal to force a higher value to see if that helps

edit
                              Now at "Performance Enhance" standard settings.
                              and now the correct performance level that i have set works!

edit
                              cleared the bios settings by removing the battery and now after loading optimal defaults the performance setting I enter works fine with "turbo" "performance enhance" lets hope its stable :)

Got it stable (6h at least), but only with a slight increase in (G)MCH voltage
                              CPU and everthing else still un default voltage.
                              memory at rated 2.1v
                              Last edited by skyscraper; 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X