Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X48-DQ6 System constantly switching PC off in games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X48-DQ6 System constantly switching PC off in games.

Hi all,

I come here in a desperate attempt to get a little help. I've recently built a new system and I'm beginning to think something is majorly amiss with it. Here's the system.

GA-X48 DQ6 motherboard
    Q9550 Quad Cpu. (stock speed)
    Gigabyte Odin 800watt PSU
    2 x 2 gig Corsair Dominator 8500 C5D Mem Module
    Gigabyte 4870 X2
    3 x Seagate 500Gb Hdd
    X-FI Extreme Music Soundcard

I'm getting reboots when loading into both XP Pro 32 and Vista Ultimate 64. Both operating systems will begin to load and the PC will just reboot. Also in games, most recently Sacred 2, the PC will just switch off! No error, no warning, just switches off completely dead.

Flashed the bios from the F6 to the F7 version. Didn't help.

Read with some interest on this forum an apparent incompatibility with Corsair Dominator memory?? If I can find this written somewhere I will take it back to the PC store that recommended this memory with this board and tell them to sort it!

Very strange, but the DDR memory voltage originally read 2.1v in the F6 bios without touching a thing. Flash to F7 and it reads 1.8v as you guys have all been talking about. So I add +0.3 to the DDR2 overvoltage control to see if this will help. Seemed to get me a smidge more time in Sacred 2 before the inevitable switch off.

Memtest86 passed 5 times without issue.

Ran 3DMARK Vantage without issue.

Can play Assassins Creed without issue.

Here are the Bios settings I've currently got.

Robust Graphics Booster____________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________ [8]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio________________[+0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ ____________[Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)________ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ [3.2]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 12
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto
    Command Rate CMD______________2T

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1v
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.20] Auto has it around 1.172.

Never had anything like this much trouble setting up a system before. Any help you guys can give will be hugely appreciated!

Re: X48-DQ6 System constantly switching PC off in games.

2x2GB needs a bit more MCH voltage. Yes, Some people do have issues with that ram and Gigabyte boards, but others do not. So it could be settings or the ram, I am not sure as I have not tested them myself

See if these voltage changes help you any, I also added optimal ranges for your ram timings. >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster____________ [Auto] << Try Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________ [8]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio________________[+0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ ____________[Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)________ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ [3.2]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 << 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9 << 3-4 may be best
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 12 << You can likely use 4-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62 << 52-62 (try 54)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6 << 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8 << 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << Always Auto
    Command Rate CMD______________2T

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1v
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal] << +0.1 for stability, you may want more with that card

FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << +0.2V-+0.3V
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.20] Auto has it around 1.172.

Comment

Cheers LsdMeAsap! I really appreciate your help. I might need some of that LSD too if these problems keep up.

How much do you think it will be safe to overvolt the PCI-E by?? I'm guessing with the X2 I might need to up the juice a reasonable amount. Within safe limits of course. Damn thing already runs hot enough as it is.

Just as a test I overvolted the CPU a smidge. But without an overclock happening do you think I should get rid if it??

I'll test and let you know.

Is it common for pc's to just switch off like that if certain areas are not volted correctly??

Comment

I wouldn't use more then +.3

Ya, if you are not overclocking at all you can normally use less then stock voltage even.

Ya, incorrect voltage or settings can cause alot of strange things to happen

Comment

Ok that's about what I was thinking with the PCI-E overvolt. A +.3 will give a noticeable increase in the operating temps of the card though right? Got plenty of fans blowing air over it and venting extra hot air out the back of the case but it still gets hotter than I'm used to with a Gfx card.

I thought the issue could be the PSU not being up to the job. Do you guys think that the 800w Gigabyte Odin unit is up to the job? I'd have a good 6 case fans installed. Only things I didn't put on the list above was a samsung DVD-R and an old Fdd.

Cheers abd thanks for the replies!

Comment

Well it may or may not, it actually adds voltage to the Southbridge and not really the card itself

I am not sure about that PSU, I can say I haven't heard anything bad so that is a plus. Ya know, the whole issue could also just be driver related as well. Many versions of drivers have issues with some games and not others

Comment

Holy C! Guys, can these temps be right?? Even for an X2...... isn't that wayyyyyyyyyyy too hot?????

Yeah good point about the drivers LSD. I've never had vid card drivers switch off a system before though. Always a first time though!

That is just at idle in the Vista 64 desktop..........
              Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 10-26-2008, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Looks Very hot to me for sure! Can you verify this info with Everest? It could just be a software error, but I kinda doubt it as that GPU-z is pretty good.

I had hoped someone else would comment here for you as I am not sure about that specific cards temps, but I will try to look around.

The GPU and Memory For sure look to be way to hot for idle

Hey, Found you this >>>>

Ran hot, but I switched the fan speed from 27 to 40% and it dropped from 81c to 35c when under load. Hardly a lift in noise till about 55 -60% fan speed

So you may just need to increase the idle fan speeds with RivaTuner or ATITools (Let me know if you need links)

So it does look to be a norm, at stock fan speeds
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-26-2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

OK.

There is a slight chance I may have this licked. I played in Sacred 2 today for a good solid 1/2 hour which has never been possible before. Ran to all the areas that gave me the shutdown issue without fail, namely near water and in caves, and the PC has held solid so far.

At the moment, it seems the X2 was overheating. I verified the temps with bith GPU-Z and the latest ATI driverset. In the ATI drivers you can set the fan speeds and make desktop and game fanspeed settings.

I bumped the X2's idle fan speed from something like 20% up to 38% and my idle temps now read 45c. Much much better. I went all out and set the fan speed to 85% for playing sacred 2. No switch offs so far. Time will tell though.

I can only assume that the ATI drivers are not spinning up the X2's fan when it gets hot. When the fan gets going you can really hear it go! But this never happened in game by itself. Assume the card was cooking and switched off the PC as a last ditch failsafe. Does that give you confidence.

I think I had 2 problems. My memory settings were out because of the Dominator mem I bought. With LSD's help I think I've got that problem solved as I haven't had a reboot when loading into windows since doing it. Then the X2 was cooking in games.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings though and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks a buch LSD. Forums like this one are where it's at!

Comment

Nice! Ya, I thought for sure that was hot! Glad you have fixed it up with fan settings, I was hoping you could as I know those x2 cards are pretty expensive!

45C is a much more acceptable idle temp! Maybe for gaming, with some testing you could lower your 85% to 55-65 or so and still be good without hearing a jet engine so much

Thanks for your kind words, and please do post back after you are sure it is all good and let us know how you have been getting along!

Comment

Working...
                    X