Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS3P - Issues with S3, BIOS Questions

Hi All,
    I've been using this board for 9 months or so (it's been rock solid), but I have been unable to use S3 Sleep reliably. I recently found the F11 BIOS addresses some sleep issues so I tried it out. Sleep is working better for me, but now often times gives a BSOD and immediate reboot (too short to see the message) right after resuming. Sometimes the BSOD comes right as I am shutting down. I reflashed the BIOS and loaded optimized defaults as I read in this forum. What else can I try to alleviate this problem? I'm using:
    Vista x64 SP1
    8 GB G.Skill RAM (4 x 2GB) @ 400 MHz 5-5-5-15-2T (although I can't adjust now)
    Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz (has run flawlessly)
    Samsung F1 1 TB SATA HDD C: (and 2 other SATA drives)
    8800 GTX
    SoundBlaster X-Fi

BIOS settings I'm unsure of (and questions) include:
    SATA: Disable, RAID, or AHCI (which should I use - could Disable help with S3 issues? I had been using AHCI)
    SATA/IDE Control Mode: IDE, AHCI, or RAID/IDE (which should I use - could IDE help with S3 issues? I had been using AHCI)
    SMART: Enabled
    HPET: Enabled
    HPET Mode: 64-bit
    Several settings all enabled: No-Execute, CPU Halt, Thermal, EIST, Virtualization = Enabled (should I change any of those from default?)
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    CIA2: Disabled

Voltage:
    DDR2: +0.10v
    PCI-E: Normal
    FSB: +0.05v
    MCH: +0.050v
    Loadline: Auto
    CPU: 1.33750

I've noticed with F11 the RAM speed options are no longer available (or I'm not seeing how to enable them). I saw something in this forum about setting Trfc value to between 52-65 but have no idea how to do that now that I can't see the RAM settings. It sounds like that's supposed to help S3 issues?

One other note - an issue I have had with this board is that on restart, sometimes the system will restart repeatedly before even displaying the BIOS post screen, resetting the BIOS CPU speed settings in the process. Sometimes it may take 10 times before it successfully boots. After that it's fine though... This has only happened once so far after updating to BIOS F11 though.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    --Kyle
    Last edited by kyley; 10-23-2008, 02:34 AM.

Re: P35-DS3P - Issues with S3, BIOS Questions

What do you mean you cannot adjust ram? Post a pic of your MIT section, it should be advanced timings, you may have to click enter on it now or something if things have changed. Unless you have a bad BIOS, which I doubt.

None of your disk settings you should change, those do not help with Sleep and can mess up your system changing them after you have it installed

HPET should be set to what system you have.

For 8Gb you need to change PLENTY of things to manual, please link me to your ram. And post a pic of you BIOS so I can see why you cannot get to your timings.

You said Sleep was working, which BIOS was that and why did you update if it was working?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Lsdmeasap. Here's my MIT screen:

As you can see, nothing there about RAM settings... This is the F11 BIOS downloaded from Gigabyte's website. I've actually flashed it twice w/o errors, and neither time showed the RAM settings...

The RAM is 4 sticks of this:
      DDR2
      CPU-Z Reports Model: F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ
      The website above lists F2-6400CL5S-2GBPQ (1 extra letter, but I think it's the same). About the same at NewEgg:
      Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Sorry if I confused, Sleep was never working on this motherboard. After updating to BIOS F11 it works some of the time, but sometimes does the BSOD on resume...

It's 3:30 AM here now, so I'm off to bed. Thanks in advance for any more help you can provide! Take care,
      --Kyle

Comment

Set that PCI Express to 100, since you are overclocking the FSB you are also overclocking that bus further then you should be since you have it on Auto

That is VERY ODD, looks like they may have brought back the need to use Ctrl + F1 hotkey, plus made it worse then before.

Have you tried that? it is Control + F1 on the MAIN Screen of the BIOS, the screen will flash, then go into the MIT section. See if that enables the rest of the settings. If so, or not, I would personally go back to F10 unless you had some need to use F11.

Ahh, sorry I answer as a read in sections. So you did need F11 ro get S3 to work. I see.

Well once we find your timings then you will be better off, Since you cant find.set them I woudl imagine that is why S3 fails sometimes for you now.

Can you try the Hotkey, and if not luck post me a pic of the main page (Incase they are out there somewhere? HAHA)

Are you sure you downloaded the correct BIOS for your board's revision?

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap,
          Thanks for the tip - Ctrl-F1 allowed me to bring up a separate memory screen (only memory settings). Here's my current config. If you have any changes to suggest, please let me know (much is on Auto):

I haven't had a crash the past several times I've resumed. Not sure if it's fixed or I've been on a lucky streak... Let me know if you think I should change some RAM settings (I linked to the specific RAM in my previous post).

But, one new issue I've noticed is one of my three SATA drives keeps disappearing. ...and I believe it's disappearing when I resume from S3. It's a Hitachi Deskstar that works fine otherwise. Any way I might be able to address that? It's the drive I put my page file on, so I'm surprised it's not crashing when I resume simply because of that! Hmm... Think it might make a difference if I put it on the purple connectors (or are they only for RAID - don't recall off hand)?

BTW, the Ctrl-F1 hotkey brought up a couple other options in the BIOS - like IRQ settings and PCI Latency Timer (CLK) which is set at 32. Thanks again,
          --Kyle

Comment

Nice! Wonder why they hid it on that BIOS version? Seems odd, I know some they do make it a separate page, but not usually hidden.

Be sure you check your power options and set them to not turn off disks, as that may also have some effect on things. And Disable Legacy USB Storage detect if you do not use a external USB disk drive. But yes, you can put it on the purple controller if you want, just be sure you enable this controller in the BIOS. It is the disk settings in the middle of the advanced BIOS page.

Ya, Those settings are normally the ONLY ones hidden by the hotkey

Ya for 8GB you should set it all really for best performance, but for stability here is what you should for SURE set in BOLD

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or FAST]
            CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [402] << use 402 or so as 400 is right on a Northbridge strap line

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______ 5
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
            Refresh to ACT Delay______________54-70 << Higher may even be better with 8GB, 52 is for sure to low
            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
            Static tRead Value_______________8-10
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V] =2.0 (2.0 would be fine, but if you want to keep it at stock you may have issues with 1.9V)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.35V] << Needed for 8GB to be stable

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap,
              Thanks again. I made changes as follows:
              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 (up 1)
              Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 (up 1)
              Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 (same)
              Refresh to ACT Delay______________70 (up from 52)
              Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4 (up 1)
              Static tRead Value_______________9 (up 1)
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V] =
              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.05V] << For stability
              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V] << Needed for 8GB to be stable

I also set Vista power options to not turn off disks and set the BIOS to Disable Legacy USB Storage Detect in an effort to prevent that hard drive from disappearing. If it still disappears after S3, I'll try the purple connector.

Voltages! On this I'm a little hesitant. Largely because the system has been very stable and runs relatively cool. The only issues really have been with S3. Do you think all these voltage increases would make a different in S3 functioning properly? Otherwise, I'm not sure about raising them - or maybe to a smaller degree (i.e. back off on the DDR to +.1, FSB to +.05, and MCH to +.1). I also bumped the CPU up one more step to 1.3425 (CPU has been solid too, but it seems like such a small increase). I always value stability over speed tho (but I happen to be running stably at 3.2 GHz!). Thanks again,
              --Kyle

Comment

Well those timings do not have to be all that loose, but it is good to see you raised them. Just remember you do not have to keep them that high, just for testing until you figure things out

Ram voltage will not affect heat issues, and under 2.1 will not overheat the ram so you are fine there for sure.

MCH voltage will add a few degrees maybe, depending on your case aireflow. But either way it will not be much at all.. really!

And yes, Proper voltage must be found and set to keep S3 stable as this is what keeps your system settings in the ram and allow the system to properly and stabley return from sleep. MCH voltage is a must and for sure would need to be more then +0.2 for 8GB

Comment

Needs to be *more* than +.2 for MCH? Yikes... That's just b/c I have 8 GB? Is this kind of like powering 8 light bulbs instead of 4? i.e. where the power gets distributed among all 8, so it isn't really a stressful increase? (As opposed to giving more and more power to a single light bulb which would cause it to explode). Just trying to understand the reasoning behind such a big increase when I'm not overclocking the RAM. CPU Voltage increase when overclocking I understand - it's running at a higher frequency and thus needs more power.

Just to be clear - I had that MCH at +0.0 until I got on this forum with great stability - just not S3 sleep... You still think I need to go even higher? Thanks,
                  --Kyle

Comment

Yes, for sure. I recommend +0.2 for 4GB. I use .25 for 4GB and 8Gb would need at least the same, likely more

It is the Northbridge having to deal with all that information coming/going from 32 chips instead of 8 is why. Yes I would start testing at +0.2 and the go up

Comment

Working...
                    X